View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #33
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Well I had one of these delivered today as well and am in the middle of the swap. I'm at the point where I have the new one in, but the V-lever is in a different spot than my original was. I guess this is the "syncing" I see a lot of DIY's reference. I'm not understanding the drill approach. I put my drill on the cable end of the new transmission, give it a few presses, but I don't see the V-lever side move at all. Is that supposed to happen?

What is the other option to get the V-levers lined up? disconnect the passenger side (original and working) and then use the car's switch to make it rotate? Do I keep the incorrect V-lever side cable connected or disconnected during this?
Because there is a slot at the rear of the V-levers there are two possible ways to install them...the correct position and 180 degrees off. So, first check to see if you may have re-installed that V-lever upside down.

More likely, the new transmission was at a different point in the rotation cycle than the one that you removed. For the drill approach, disconnect the drive cable from the electric motor on that side and insert the inner metal cable into the chuck of a cordless drill, set on the LOWEST torque setting. When you turn on the drill, it will spin the inner cable which will turn the worm gear at the rear of the transmission and that will then rotate the big gear and the V-lever will then start to rotate.

Make sure that you put a little pressure on the end of the inner metal cable by pushing the drill towards the transmission. It is sometimes possible to just pull out the inner metal cable from its metal sheath, so make sure that it is engaged.

The drill will spin quickly but the V-lever will rotate slowly.

If the lever does not rotate at all, the inner metal cable may be split or frayed, or the worm gear may not be completely secured in its place because the black plastic housing cover may be slightly deformed.

If you want to try the other option, just keep in mind that pressing the button will only turn the V-lever if the electric motor is spinning with the drive cable properly engaged both at the electric motor side and at the transmission side.

You have to have the "original and working side" disconnected so that the other side can "catch up".

If you want a good starting point for synchronizing the transmissions, take a look at the photo on page 39 and the text at the bottom of page 38 on the Part III PDF at this link: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote