Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

S2000 spin

Had a blast at Arizona Motorsports Park ProAutosports DE event yesterday. Great day! First session of the morning (orange group), lots of open track ahead of me until I caught up with this S2000 track car that spun right in front of me. It happens at the 2:45 mark.

Aren't you supposed to engage both brake and clutch pedals when you spin?

https://youtu.be/Et_C43j6Ra0

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 03-12-2017 at 08:54 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

As slow as he was going I'm surprised he could get it to spin. "In for a spin, both feet in!". I prefer "In for a spin, both feet in, mother #$%&*". Add a picture of Samuel L Jackson for maximum effect.

The S2000 is an amazingly capable car, this example with the giant wing not so much...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #3

Two things for the S2000 driver:

1. Find a school/instructor and spend a couple of hours on a skid pad so you don't jeopardize the safety and welfare of your fellow track rats.
2. Be polite and let the faster cars by you.

This has happened to me a couple of times and what scares me the most is not that I might hit the driver who spun out in front of me, it's the driver(s) coming up fast behind me...
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

a little early, a little bump, zero suspension travel, nasty spin. destined for failure before even getting to the track. what a terrible set up. and that park bench on the trunk? no help at all at only 25 mph. ugh.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Two things for the S2000 driver:

1. Find a school/instructor and spend a couple of hours on a skid pad so you don't jeopardize the safety and welfare of your fellow track rats.
2. Be polite and let the faster cars by you.

This has happened to me a couple of times and what scares me the most is not that I might hit the driver who spun out in front of me, it's the driver(s) coming up fast behind me...
Yes I was watching my rear view mirrors intently
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Yes I was watching my rear view mirrors intently
I had to fetch up for a mustang that spun one time and a challenger that had just pointed me by on the straight was all up on me after the point by, to show that he had more power I guess. He had to shoot over to the side and kind of go around me to finish braking, like you see cars do in stop and go rush hour traffic. I know he was back there but I had to slow to not hit the other challenger that was in front of me... It was scary

At least you finally got around the S2000
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:08 AM   #7

Nice work staying out of trouble! This must be an s2000 thing. Same thing happened to me, here's a video of just the spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kb-C-MF_w&sns=em
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #8

Garage
Looks like completely unbalanced brakes to me. Rears locking before fronts.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Amazing how slow he was going to spin though
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Nice work staying out of trouble! This must be an s2000 thing. Same thing happened to me, here's a video of just the spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kb-C-MF_w&sns=em
Wow! That is awesome driving and avoiding this guy. Yeah he did point you by to the right but it appears as though when he did the point by with his left hand, he must have been distracted or moved the steering wheel with his right hand... and caused the spin. Nice recovery and 4x4 ride in the grass! That is why I do not like to do HPDEs on tracks that have hard walls or obstacles that are close by...

On edit: our reactions are totally different: I gesture in disapproval at the spun car but looks like you gave your guy the thumbs up

Going to Chuckwalla this Saturday. Wide open fun. I'll post.

Last edited by AZ986S; 03-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.