Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
01 Seal Gray 986 S

New headunit with usb and mic integration

My Pioneer AVH-2550 NEX is installed. I am spoiled now having Android Auto / Carplay in my 2019 Pilot, and knew it was one of those "can't live without" type things for me. While I was in there I decided to fix the foam flying out the vents problem as well. I followed the "cut from the front" approach first proposed by 78F350.
Here are some shots of how that came out:

I found the 3M tape that was discussed that should handle up to 300 degrees. It seemed to work really well. If it has any longevity issues I will update here.

Here is the headunit in the kit send by crutchfield, I sprayed it with Testors 1830MT Diamond Gloss to try to match my sport design trim. It is close, the amount of metallic "speckle" is spot on, the color is a bit more sliver then my more gray trim.

I also installed a USB / AUX jack in place of the lighter, and am really pleased with how this came out. Here is a thread that shows more detail on installing that piece.

I ended up having the shave the retaining nut quite a bit to get the horseshoe back in the dash.

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Continued...

I don't like talking on the phone in the car and would have ditched the pioneers mic completely, but it was used for the voice control with Android Auto, which I use all the time. I hated the idea of mounting the mic anywhere visible though. After staring at the dash for a bit trying to find locations for it and envision how the wire would have to be run, it occurred to me that it might be able to "poke out" through one of the blank switches in the horse shoe. I figured worse case I just need to find another blank if I mess up and went to work. I am really happy with the way it came out. I have not made it permanent yet, as I want to see if there are any usability issues with it picking up my voice all the way recessed like it is. It is winter here in NY and I am not planning on driving it until march or so. Once I get a chance to see how it works I will glue up the small gaps.

I also managed to scuff up my paint a bit on the top right corner of the plastic kit surrounding the radio, I tried hitting it with a bit of touch up, but it is pretty visible. A lot of my "Sport Design" interior pieces are scratched a bit, And I want to take them all out and sand / respray anyway, but this will be another project. I tried spraying the radio bezel kit with it other then my added smudge spray at the end, I think it looks pretty good.

So... many boxes checked on my winter boxster todo list! yay!
Old 12-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

Great project!
i did a cheaper Pioneer double din in my 996 last spring. I did the heater flap repair at the same time....what a difference! I also installed the USB/AUX port piece where the lighter socket was.
All good so far!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Great project!
i did a cheaper Pioneer double din in my 996 last spring. I did the heater flap repair at the same time....what a difference! I also installed the USB/AUX port piece where the lighter socket was.
All good so far!
Yeah.. the heat was great after the fix! I just brought the car up to temp in the driveway, tried both max cold and hot. Max hot had the car super toasty in no time. At the end of the season before the fix, I was driving it with the top down in the 50's some days wishing there was actually more then luke warm air coming out.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I think you did a great job. Everything looks awesome in the pics. I know what you mean about scratches and other imperfections on the interior. Funny thing is I'm the only person that notices any of it in my car lol.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Thanks Tommy!

How far upstate are you? I am about 10 miles south of Poughkeepsie.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:35 AM   #7

Garage
What wiring harness should I use for a new headunit?
Wild_willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Crutchfeild provided mine.

You just tell them the car making model and they know what head unit you're buying and they suggest it.

Can't recommend them enough had a great experience purchasing from them. They have a number you can call to talk to someone to make sure you get everything correct.