Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #1

Porsche Museum and RUF visit

Hi everyone,

We just had the opportunity to visit the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. We can highly recommend it if you ever have the opportunity. While you are there we can also highly recommend that you take the opportunity to drive a new Porsche. They have the Porsche Drive program where you can rent most new Porsche’s anywhere between just an hour or a week. We rented a Carrera GTS for two days (1,000 km included) and what a blast it was. I can personally vouch she’s good for over 300 kph. . While it isn’t cheap it was a better value then anything similar that I’ve seen in the US plus you can legally drive the car at speed legally. We will be back and next time we intend to rent a Boxster or Caymen for a week and forgo the regular rental car.

While cruising around the countryside we decided to go by RUF. They had the new SCR in the showroom, the Irish Green car that just premiered in Geneva and a Carrera GT. To my surprise Alois Ruf and his son greeted us. We had no expectations so this was a nice surprise. They were kind enough to allow me to sit in the prototype SCR. . His son then ask us if we like a tour. We couldn’t refuse. He said come back after lunch, which we did and he proceeded to give us an hour and 45 minute tour of the main shop area, which included three in progress restoration of 1980s RUF cars, the second prototype SCR in construction and a new RTR ready for delivery, engine build/rebuild area, 2 dyno rooms, paint and body area, chassis restoration and a classic car restoration areas, which included a 901. WOW! They treated us like their best customer when all we can afford is a tee shirt. What a treat and we were lucky and very greatful for the opportunity. It’s nice to see a family business do so well and they still are humble and smart enough to know that making contacts is important.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #2

Garage
That sounds like a great time! Some day I would love to do that.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I did the factory tour when I was in Stuttgart last year, really interesting to see where my 986 engine was born. The factory lines are very efficient. Just make sure you don't go on a Monday, the factory is open but the museum is closed. Ask me how I know? I consider it my all-time biggest travel screw up.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I did the factory tour when I was in Stuttgart last year, really interesting to see where my 986 engine was born. The factory lines are very efficient. Just make sure you don't go on a Monday, the factory is open but the museum is closed. Ask me how I know? I consider it my all-time biggest travel screw up.
A lot of the museums are closed on Mondays but open on Sundays when almost everything else is closed. Pretty common in Germany. Good day to take the cars out for a drive for a speed run on the autobahn or nice drive on a windy country road.

I love the bridge were you see new Carreras on the production line crossing the street.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

That sounds like an awesome visit. What was the cost of the 2-day Carrera rental? Post some photos if you can!
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel325 View Post
That sounds like an awesome visit. What was the cost of the 2-day Carrera rental? Post some photos if you can!
Yes, photos! After all this is the SHOW and Tell forum
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel325 View Post
I attached details from Porsche’s website. Keep in mind the pricing is all inclusive of insurance and taxes (19%!!). PCA members get 10% off by just showing their PCA card so don’t forget to bring it.

https://drive.porsche.com/en/start.html
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Yes, photos! After all this is the SHOW and Tell forum

Yes, yes, agree. I’ve been having trouble posting photos and video off of my iPad. I get an error messsage indicating that I may upload only .gif to .jpg file. It looks like the iPad uses HEIF format and I have not been able to figure out how to convert it within the iPad fooling online help. Can anyone recommend a tool?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 05-29-2018, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Yes, yes, agree. I’ve been having trouble posting photos and video off of my iPad. I get an error messsage indicating that I may upload only .gif to .jpg file. It looks like the iPad uses HEIF format and I have not been able to figure out how to convert it within the iPad fooling online help. Can anyone recommend a tool?
Just tried JPEG PNG seems to work ok, has adverts might be a $.99 one with no adverts.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Garage
The image uploading tools on this forum leave a lot to be desired. I have pretty much given up trying to upload from the iPad. If I want to add an image, I use my desktop. Most of my images are taken with a regular camera and I keep some on my iPad so they are already JPEG’s but then they are too big to upload. If someone has an iPad solution, I would love to hear it also.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #11

i think the error message that the forum provides is incorrect. it says the format is wrong, but the images are in jpg format. i think the problem is size - they are over the 2M limit. there are no native apps on the ipad/phone to resize pics, so you have to go aftermarket. which i have not done so cannot recommend. the other option is to download to your computer (i've got onedrive on my iphone/ipad/laptop so can move pics back and forth quite simply) and use something native on the laptop to resize (windows photo viewer will do it).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #12

Bummer. My wife took the photos and videos with her iPhone 8+ so they may be too big. I’ll have too go via my laptop but that will have to wait until I get back.

89 944 S2
78 911SC

Last edited by Porsche9; 05-29-2018 at 11:21 AM.