Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Our First Porsche - 2002 986 S

Hi from Melbourne Australia

My girlfriend has wanted a Porsche 911 most of her life. In the last few months, just for fun, I had a look at the online sales and found that Boxsters were quite "cheap". I showed the GF and I think that gave her the bug as a couple of weeks ago she was browsing and sent me a link to a 2001 Yellow S. When I first had a look I did some research on them and found that the S model was the go and to aim for a 2000 or better. With that in mind I was on the hunt for a 2000+ Manual S. When she sent me the link I actually joined up here and became more serious with the research and we went to look at the Yellow S.

It was at a car yard and we went by on a day but it was closed, snooped around but the Boxster wasn't there. We ended up calling and made a date to visit when it was there. We rocked up and he had bad news, it was blowing a little smoke. He was quite embarrassed but started it up anyway. It was more like a smoke screen! haha, so much smoke! He said it was probably the valve stem seals and that he'd ordered the parts from OS and will get it repaired. From my reading I suspected the AOS. Anyway, he allowed us to take it for a test drive, the smoke disappeared and the ride was very nice. Our first drive of a Boxster. I parked it and had a good look over it, there were some paint chips on the side skirts, hairline cracks in the side markers, both trunk lids appeared to have a slight colour difference than the body, etc. So we took it back and told him to give us a call once repaired.

I had a look at what was available online again and found another nice looking one, Black 2002 Manual S. It was listed for ~$4k more than the Yellow but we decided to go have a look anyway. Our first visit and it wasn't there, the boss had taken it out for his sons birthday. The books were there so I had a look over them. Service history was good, even has the original Porsche CD, but it also had all of the receipts. So I was able to see that it had IMS done a couple of years ago and the rear window was also replaced due to a tear.

So we go back yesterday to see it and have a test drive. It's nice, very clean and smooth. The GF decides she wants this one so we go back and negotiate. We end up getting $2k knocked off and the deal is done! Pickup day is in a couple of days and she can't wait.

So we now have a 2002 Porsche Boxster S, 6 Speed Manual with cruise control in Basalt Black with Grey interior. It also has the Digital Audio option but the stereo has been replaced with an Eclipse AVN827GA unit. It's also been "riced" up a little with dark grey racing stripes, carbon fibre vinyl on some interior parts, blacked out Porsche hood logo and a rear wing/spoiler. One downer is I noticed a small crack in the rear window so will have to find a temporary fix while I research a replacement/permanent fix.

I took a couple of phone pics but will take some better ones when it's in our possession. Thanks for the wealth of info here and I look forward to being a part of the community.

WRC323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

I've gone through the receipts and since mid 2013 the following work has been done:

Faulty low tone horn replaced
RH drive boot replaced
RHF Sway Bar link replaced
Front Discs replaced
Rear window replaced
LN Engineering IMS Bearing Upgrade Kit
Rear Main Oil Seal
Clutch Kit, Clutch Fork, Clutch Fork Pivot
Combination Switch Unit

Issues I've found:
Speedo seems to read too fast by ~8kmh. Checked against GPS and when speedo reads 60, GPS reads ~52. Seems to be consistent, 100 on speedo and GPS says ~92. Tyres are 255/40/17 and 205/45/17. Normal?

Rear window has a tiny hole. Will fix with some clear tape for now. Might try and source a glass soft top?

Rear wing is bolted on and the bolts they've used have put holes in the boot seal. Will source some replacement allen bolts. Will probably need to replace the adhesive too as it looks like it's coming away. Need to make sure it doesn't allow water to seep into the boot.

Driving in the rain last night water was leaking in around where the drivers side mirror is on the inside of the glass.

The drivers side mirror cover with the mirror adjustment controls falls out easily. The top blue socket has been pushed in. Should be an easy fix.

Second key unlock button was pushed in. I found that it doesn't have any electronics inside of it! Could keep it as a spare unlock key and source a full new key. Expensive? Needs to be coded by Porsche?

The carpet in the rear trunk isn't clipped in on the passenger side. It looks like there's a unit that holds relays that it should clip into. That relay unit isn't on its bracket so I'll need to reseat that.

I think that's all for now. Hopefully nothing else rears its head.

Potential mods:
Clear side indicators maybe.
Newer headlights with clear indicators. If I can find some decent priced. Projector headlight retrofit perhaps? Not sure if legal though? - The ultimate bi-xenon headlight retrofit kit for Sport & Super cars
Front Porsche emblem has been painted? plasti dipped? black. Would like to replace it with another emblem, preferably the silver rather than gold.
Remove the CD storage and replace with a storage pocket.
Remove ashtray and replace with a storage pocket?

The door pocket cover vinyl was lifting so we peeled it off. Not sure if we'll replace it with some better quality 3M vinyl, leave as is or cover in leather. It also has some brushed aluminium "S" stickers on the head rests that we removed and a "Boxster" sticker on the passenger door airbag cover that re also removed.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:21 AM   #3

Went for a bit of a drive this weekend. Took a pic at a Trestle bridge.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Looks like a very nice car! Congratulations!
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Run

Speed is off on all boxsters usually 3 to 4 MPH May be this way on all P-cars
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC323 View Post
Went for a bit of a drive this weekend. Took a pic at a Trestle bridge.

Nice Boxster, well done I hope you enjoy it, they are a great fun car.

That trestle looks very suspiciously like the one near my sisters home in the Dandenong ranges on the Puffin Billy railway, great photo.
Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #7

Thanks guys. Loving it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santafe View Post
Nice Boxster, well done I hope you enjoy it, they are a great fun car.

That trestle looks very suspiciously like the one near my sisters home in the Dandenong ranges on the Puffin Billy railway, great photo.
I know that one well. I'll head up and get a pic there too some time. Would be nice if I could time it to get a shot with Puffing Billy crossing over.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 AM   #8

Yesterday I cleaned the roof and applied some water repellent.

This morning I noticed the drivers side, right side for us down under, seatbelt was damp. Under and behind seats is dry. But also the remote unlock/lock using the key fob doesn't work. I replaced the key battery the other day as it wasn't working then either. The LED in the key lights up but won't unlock the car or front and rear trunks. The key unlocks via the key hole fine and starts the car fine, front and rear trunks can be opened via the inside switches. The alarm works and arms once the door is locked, goes off if the key hasn't been put in the ignition quick enough. Tried a few things suggested in the forums but nothing has worked.

Went for a drive to Hanging Rock today. So many people up there!! Stopped for a photo op on the way back...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Very nice! What spoiler is that?
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
Very nice! What spoiler is that?
No idea, a previous owner put it on. They didn't do a good job however as the bolts they used have torn the rear trunk seal.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Yesterday I cleaned the roof and applied some water repellent.

This morning I noticed the drivers side, right side for us down under, seatbelt was damp. Under and behind seats is dry. But also the remote unlock/lock using the key fob doesn't work. I replaced the key battery the other day as it wasn't working then either. The LED in the key lights up but won't unlock the car or front and rear trunks. The key unlocks via the key hole fine and starts the car fine, front and rear trunks can be opened via the inside switches. The alarm works and arms once the door is locked, goes off if the key hasn't been put in the ignition quick enough. Tried a few things suggested in the forums but nothing has worked.

Went for a drive to Hanging Rock today. So many people up there!! Stopped for a photo op on the way back...

Nice photo! I like the balance, the composition and the subtle colors. The car looks good too
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #12

So the GF stayed the night at her friends house the other night leaving the Boxster parked on the street. When she got home and washed the car she noticed this.

Some prick sideswiped it and didn't leave a note. They'd driven on the wrong side of the road as the mirror had been pushed back towards the drivers side window. Could have been worse I suppose, mirror and rim have the worst of the damage.

Going to get some quotes on repair. The panel damage will hopefully buff out.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #13

Ordered some parts from my local dealer and did some installing.

Replacement fuel cap. Our original one had the leash broken.
Swapped out the CD storage for a pocket.

Also got a couple of speed nuts and gasket to install a replacement badge, 3x blue grommets to fix the drivers side interior mirror cover, a replacement key fob as ours stopped functioning. Need to get the keys coded now.

Then stupid me sat in the drivers seat with something in my rear pocket and put a tear in the seat. FML!

Oh well, the side swipe damage is getting repaired under insurance.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
This morning I noticed the drivers side, right side for us down under, seatbelt was damp. Under and behind seats is dry. But also the remote unlock/lock using the key fob doesn't work...
It would be good to have the Central Locking Unit/Immobilizer box under the seat checked to make sure that it does not have residual moisture inside of it. It is very common for these to fail from corrosion caused by moisture remaining inside. Often a proper drying and cleaning can restore a box that has gone bad.

That's a good looking Boxster and well composed pictures. I really like how the stripes were done.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Loving the bridge pic especially!
Sammy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #16

Thanks for the comments guys.

Today I replaced the rear spoiler bolts. Whoever installed it used hex head bolts which have torn the rear boot seal. So today I got some M6 25mm dome head allen bolts and replaced them. I'll have to get some black washers at some stage too. When replacing the bolts I lifted the spoiler off, it needs new double sided tape. The muppet that installed it didn't remove the backing on the boot side so it was still sitting on paper, which by now had shrunk and disintegrated.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #17

We finally got the car back from repairs, rear panel is buffed out, mirror repainted, rear bumper repainted, wheel chips fixed and repainted. Was supposed to be picked up last week but the front passenger wheel had new chips on it so they had to be fixed.

Tonight I replaced the ignition switch. The key was getting hard to insert and remove and the radio wasn't turning off after the key was removed. So I ordered the switch from ebay and it arrived very quickly. I read it could be done from underneath, maybe on OS cars, not mine. The screws for the switch are on the top side. I found another guide that showed the removal of the drivers side vent section. Still a PITA but eventually got there. I think it took around an hour all up with some swearing and contortion. Key works as it should now.

I followed this guide - Replace Ignition Switch :: Repairs :: Greg's 2004 Porsche 996
Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #18

I managed to get my (original) ignition switch replaced from below - but I have a small, cut-down, screwdriver that I used.

I learned today when talking to the service dept at Porsche Center Melbourne that the car is capable of 'holding' the key in if the security system doesn't recognise it - it seems that this is what causes the key to feel so tight when the electical switch is playing up.

I bought a switch from Volkswagen for $130. Audi was $178.

I couldn't find a switch in Aus so I figured eBay would take too long. Jealous of your $30 purchase! Clearly my eBay skills are rubbish :-/

Last edited by TrumpyAl; 10-13-2015 at 07:40 PM.
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #19

Car looks amazing. I am a little biased towards black. Like the bonnet stripes, and black wheels. A mere text description would have sounded too boy racer to me, but the pictures make the car look seriously cool. Combination really works. Glad the insurance company helped out.

My boxster is currently with me in Melbourne as I complete a project. I see lots down here. But then, Melbourne was always very stylish.

Last edited by Spinnr; 11-15-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Spinnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #20

Hey all, been a while! Haven't done much with the car, GF's just been enjoying it.

I've just found and purchased an OBC stalk from ebay. Awaiting its arrival to install.

On impulse while at a hardware store I bought a small roll of synthetic turf to put under my desk at work. GF decided that she thought it would make nice floor mats...

Only short term fun, they've since been removed. Even being attached to the stock mats with bulldog clips they'd move around a little.

Had to get a new imobiliser unit. Stopped remote unlocking. Got new key and the dealer couldn't talk to the unit to program. Went though an independent Porsche mechanic who was able to acquire a new unit and install cheaper than the Porsche dealer.

More importantly we've upgraded the soft top to an '04 glass windowed roof. Good bye plastic window! So much nicer, demister is great, easier to see out of. The interior lining is black, I think our old one was grey, and I notice the arch seals are velvety compared to the rubber of the old one.

Last edited by WRC323; 10-25-2016 at 07:34 PM.