Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #121
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Cool. I know you'll post pics when done. Love viewing them!

Also, I missed your earlier posts of your cleaning project. Impressive results. I've been a clay man for years, even on my DD's. It's always amazing how much contaminant comes off of a "clean" car.

Speaking of, I attended a PCA detailing clinic today held at a high-end detailing shop. I learned a few things, and loved looking at the cars in their shop.

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #122
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
...and as at any PCA event, I enjoy seeing the cars in the parking lot as well!

...and even better, when I got I home my wife's cousin stopped by for a visit and brought his '08 Cayman from out of hibernation. It was a good day!

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #123

Lovely!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #124

Here's a good photo showing the new condition of the newly cleaned and protected roof:

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 03-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #125

My pre-facelift headlights arrived.

Annoyingly, one of the adjusters has snapped. Luckily it's not the side that already has a snapped adjuster, so I can still pass an MOT.

See the crack at the bottom of that plastic bit? Would this be repairable? I'm hoping that the headlight assembly rests on it, while it pushes it up and down, so it wouldn't make a difference if it's cracked. But if not, I'm wondering how I can fix it. Some sort of plastic resin?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #126

Garage
Soooooooooooo cleannnnnn!! hooot dammmnnn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Here's a good photo showing the new condition of the newly cleaned and protected roof:

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #127

A bird shat on it today, and because of the protector it bounced and scattered hahaha!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #128

Quote:

Annoyingly, one of the adjusters has snapped. Luckily it's not the side that already has a snapped adjuster, so I can still pass an MOT.

See the crack at the bottom of that plastic bit? Would this be repairable? I'm hoping that the headlight assembly rests on it, while it pushes it up and down, so it wouldn't make a difference if it's cracked. But if not, I'm wondering how I can fix it. Some sort of plastic resin?

JB Weld is the usual go to isn't it?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #129

I was just thinking actually. If the bit that it's snapped off pushes this bit upwards to raise the bulb, and releases it to lower, then it might not even need gluing back together.

If the weight of the lamp assembly is resting on it, then when it gets adjusted, it'll push it backwards or lower it, regardless if it's permanently fixed to it.

It's not ideal, but I'll put it in the car and will give it a try. If it works, I won't mess with it.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #130

If its ABS plastic, abs plumbing solvent-weld will work great. (I've repaired some broken plastic bits that way with very good results.)

Often the plastic will be molded with an identifier... Look for "ABS".
Old 04-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #131

My MOT is due tomorrow, so I gave the car a check over.

The only concerning things is the horizontal adjuster for the front right lamp which is snapped, but I have a spare pre-facelift headlight that's perfect, so I'll just have to put that on and have an odd headlight just to pass the MOT. I'll fix it soon.

The other thing is a split driveshaft boot which is an MOT fail, so that'll need changing.

Checked all the lights and all are working apart from a numberplate bulb. One of the Cree ones I put in. I took it out, looked at it, put it back in and it started to work again, but as I was holding the bulb assembly in my hand, it literally exploded and burst into flames.

Burnt my fingers a little, but not much. Couldn't believe it! I've just replaced them so it passes the MOT. Must have been a faulty unit.

Aside from that, not much else has happened. Drove one of the new twin turbo charged Carrera S 991's and my god it's fast. You really can't tell it's turbo charged for 95% of the time, unless you REALLY look for it.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #132

Garage
Ger's 2003 Porsche Boxster S

Somehow posted to the wrong forum.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 04-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #133
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:

Yes, it is crucial to both the position of the headlight beam and adjusting the position.
No, you cannot glue or plastic weld it as just on the other side of the cup is the ball and socket joint. If you get any glue or anything in that joint or even against the other mating face, you will not be able to adjust it. The best thing to do would be to replace it with a good one from one of your other headlights. You can do it without opening the headlight up, but it's not that easy. The hardest part is getting the ball out of the ball and socket joint (the part that has snapped off).
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #134

As long as it's possible then I'll give it a try.

Bad news, the car's failed the MOT but only on brake discs. The inside of all 4 discs are corroded. So that's 4 new discs and a set of new pads for me

That's all though luckily. At least it's only failed on things that wear overtime as opposed to something going wrong.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #135
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'll see if I can get you some pics and maybe a quick video showing what you're dealing with (from the inside) and how to get the old ball out of the socket using a tool you can easily make out of a nail.

I've done it a few times, haha
Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #136

You would be an absolute star if you could do that for me thanks a bunch buddy, really appreciate it.

I've managed to source brand new Pagid discs and pads for £300. EuroCarParts did them for me at a deal, as opposed to £380. The garage has charged me £50, and instead of them doing the labour, they said "If you want to take it home, change them yourself and bring it back in, we won't charge you for the re-test".

Good guys, so it's not all bad. He said the rest of the car is perfect, it's just the discs.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #137

The garage weren't wrong. Look at the state of them:

Nice and new, cleaned everything too:

£300 for new discs and pads front and back is actually really good.

One down, I'll do the other three on the weekend. Very easy job though, I'm surprised. No seized or rusty bolts, no problems pushing the pistons back in either. I pushed them in by hand by using the old pads. From my experience I've always had to use a g-clamp to put pistons back in!

I suppose you get what you pay for

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #138
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This "tool" is not my best work, but I needed something in a pinch and it worked great. I've used it several times since...easy to make and does the job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9CIuxDSg5Y

Last edited by particlewave; 04-07-2016 at 09:22 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #139

Garage
Quote:
As long as it's possible then I'll give it a try.

Bad news, the car's failed the MOT but only on brake discs. The inside of all 4 discs are corroded. So that's 4 new discs and a set of new pads for me

That's all though luckily. At least it's only failed on things that wear overtime as opposed to something going wrong.

...didn't you buy this recently......surely the garage you bought it from offered a year's MOT...I think you bought it from Speeds..?
SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 AM   #140
Project Addicted

How can that be an MOT failure?? That rust is 100% normal on a stock steel rotor. Thickness is what they should be worried about not rust.....

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche