Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
The reason why I didn't want to go for the GT projectors was because of the price. I'm sure they're worth it, but I don't know if I'm even going to be able to pull this off. I don't want to spend hundreds on something that I won't be able to do.

I thought you were in America? Didn't realise you were in Milton Keynes. Do you do fitting services any chance?
Go Go Plastic Bezels in that case lolll Just change them every year and all should be good. Like I said, I get those for $10-20 here so get in touch if you are on a that real tight budget mate. Those same cool bezels you see on all the USA known retrofit websites. Its all made here in my backyard :/

Old 02-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
RE paint: no-go, we tried. The non-avoidable deformation of the plastic bezel will rip off your paint eventually, if not after only a few heat cycles. You need to use a 'rubbery' paint composition but none have been yet tested on composites (that deforms) and heats/cold cycles as much as an headlight. Luck on that :/
But I painted the bezels on my daily driver in VHT caliper paint two years ago?
The previous set were also painted, with a generic touch up spray can and I used them for over 12 months with no issue?

(Got a link to educate me? Sorry for the threadjack Ger!)

Last edited by TrumpyAl; 02-07-2016 at 03:54 PM.
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
But I painted the bezels on my daily driver in VHT caliper paint two years ago?
The previous set were also painted, with a generic touch up spray can and I used them for over 12 months with no issue?

(Got a link to educate me? Sorry for the threadjack Ger!)
Sure could work, for some, based on luck but not ideal, no?! Might be okay for VW but in my case I offer install this product on other ppl's car so I have to use what's 100% certain to work. After all these bezels are what shines in the headlight (parked or not).

I'd be devastated if a 9X6 dude here or RL would pop up to me saying he has a "huge crack" in his paint/on his bezel lolllllll can you imagine the ridicule (porsche!?)

Can't support the idea mate sorry. At your own risk
Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Go Go Plastic Bezels in that case lolll Just change them every year and all should be good. Like I said, I get those for $10-20 here so get in touch if you are on a that real tight budget mate. Those same cool bezels you see on all the USA known retrofit websites. Its all made here in my backyard :/
It's just to try it out to see if it works if it does, I'll run them until they go and I'll invest in some good ones as I know it works. I'll invest in the GT ones for definite then! Do you sell them in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Sorry for the threadjack Ger!
Not at all

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #65

Was looking through my 'done' list, and I've already added three optional extras that were offered at the factory. My 'to-do' list contains a further 11 optional extras. These include heated seats, parking sensors, etc.

It's great to see as it reminds me of my previous car. With that (T-Sport Celica), I added an incredible amount of kit that was found on more modern cars (£5,000 worth of it), but it looked completely standard. Better brakes, parking sensors, a more modern dash with new dials, re-trimmed steering wheel, etc. You wouldn't have guessed I did anything to it, unless you put it side by side by a standard one, where you'd notice an enormous difference. I sold it for more than I bought it for 3 years prior.

And thankfully, it's the same with this. I could have bought a Boxster with a lot more optional extras (and I almost did until I heard an engine knock before handing him the cash), and a lot of people would search for one with a decent spec, but instead I bought one with a very basic spec but had perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition, and this has allowed me to make it into a project car, adding things that could have been offered from the factory.

I love tinkering and adding more features to the car that look entirely standard.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #66
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nice, Ger. Fun to follow. And it is a lovely Box.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Nice, Ger. Fun to follow. And it is a lovely Box.
Thanking you

Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #68

I know what you mean re: stealthy updates to a car. My since-new daily for nearly 15 years has, over the last few years, had HID's - Lowered - upgraded sway bars - staggered factory-styled rims - updated seats with aftermarket heating added - stainless exhaust - 328mm rear brake upgrade - LED lighting - reverse camera - leather wrapped console and some other interior bits, but all looks like it could be factory optioned (except HID's perhaps).

All good and well, but with the Porsche you can add almost all of that and they WERE factory options. Especially good as there's a chance that you may get some of that investment back if/when you move it on. With most cars, when they become collectible, buyers want a car with original options, not custom work. It makes it easy to get enthusiastic about the tweaks when there's a fair chance they'll be valued just as highly by the next owner.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #69

Exactly.

I'll show you an example of my last car.

Engine bay original:

My engine bay:

Original interior:

New interior:

Original exterior:

New exterior:

Lowered, big brakes, splitter at front, skirts, valance at rear, etc. But it all looked completely standard.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #70

I really can't wait to get the exhaust bypass pipes Saturday anyone have any videos of theirs?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #71

Great looking Boxster, love it!!!!
hillbilly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly986 View Post
Great looking Boxster, love it!!!!
Thank you

Old 02-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #73

I've had the exhaust bypass done today at Pro-Speed Exhausts in Cardiff.

Two words: HOLY ********************. It's beautiful! The sound is absolutely gorgeous. It doesn't sound ludicrously loud, and it doesn't sound after market at all. It sounds 'special' - REALLY special. It's the sort of subtly powerful sound that you think "Wow, what's that?"

Pulled up into the garage:

They got to work making some holes in the tail pipes:

And welded the pipes in place. They did it whilst the exhaust was on the car, and because the car is a facelift, the rear diffuser hides the pipes:

As you can see here, you can't really see them:

And now, for the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thocwey5K9w

I LOVE it. And the price? £130 all in. That's unbelievable value.

So yeah, I drove home with a grin on my face the whole journey. It's transformed the car completely, and I absolutely love it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #74
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sweet! Incredible value. Now produce us a nice long video, please.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #75

Certainly will when we get the weather bud. As you can see from the video, we haven't...

Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #76

Garage
Very Nice
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #77

Awesome bang for buck there!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #78

Quote:
I've had the exhaust bypass done today at Pro-Speed Exhausts in Cardiff.

Two words: HOLY ********************. It's beautiful! The sound is absolutely gorgeous. It doesn't sound ludicrously loud, and it doesn't sound after market at all. It sounds 'special' - REALLY special. It's the sort of subtly powerful sound that you think "Wow, what's that?"
Wow nice sound for sure. However careful with these set-up Ger :/ That 'special' sound you hear could well be the exhaust valves having a hard time to shut due to the negative pulses this zigzag setup introduce back to the engine. Back pressure, very important, especially with performance (high rev) Porsche engines. Hope you guys know what you are doing there man.

Not an expert but if I were you I'd just stick to the cat delete pipes - get those On Order soon. At best install a performance exhaust system for that S man - it deserve it.

Go Go noise! I like noisy cars... straight titanium 4" pipes Ferrari and Lambo included
Old 02-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #79

It's a common modification bud. It basically mimics the Porsche Sports Exhaust system by allowing the sound to bypass the silencer a little. They're not enormous pipes, and like said the original OEM sports exhaust has the same idea. It's after the CAT's, too, so it's all good. Thanks anyway bud

Old 02-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #80

Quote:
It's a common modification bud. It basically mimics the Porsche Sports Exhaust system by allowing the sound to bypass the silencer a little. They're not enormous pipes, and like said the original OEM sports exhaust has the same idea. It's after the CAT's, too, so it's all good. Thanks anyway bud
OMG didn't realized Porsche were piping they're 'sport' stuff like this (I've just pulled a pic of the actual genuine sport muffler thingy, and you're dead right). You'd think that these cars are all up Top Engineered for ultimate operation and poof.... off this illusion goes up in smoke -throughout a factory faked exhaust system called Sport! F n hilarious.

What else... what else can these little boxster car take all day long?!?! lolll Can I quickly CAD my own cam shaft profiles? let's say with fatter and longer lobes and install the pair in my flat-6? Bet the car would run 48hp more and yeah possibly sound better as well lolllll Could call it the "Sport Scam Mod"; $2,300+installation add-on

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche