Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #61

Mike, As one who subscribed and did this mod you keep just the end of 987 maf housing that buckles to 987 airbox, cut most of it off and then graft the 986 housing into it. As you see from the pics earlier the taper section is where it's plastic welded and joined. Be sure to get that honeycombed air flow straightener in there before the maf too. To get 987 airbox in you will have to bend the engine cover tab on front and rear of driver side. There was no getting around it for me. I did remove the intake manifold, makes it easier cause it's tight in there.

Last edited by Lapister; 10-30-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #62

Garage
Ok Lapister, thanks! I have ordered most of what I need based on Kram's shopping list. Once I have the pieces it will make more sense but don't plan on doing this mode at least until next year. In the NE we are getting ready for winter.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
987 air box with K&N air filter, 996 76mm TB and 997 Distribution T. I know this mod gave my 3.2L a 20 HP bump. This engine loves more air. Doing the mods yourself should be around $250 max. This makes a $200 Under Drive Pulley 5 HP look silly.

EDIT: Maybe $300 for the air intake upgrade. I forgot to add in some extra pieces you'll need and the silicone couplers.

Next on my list is headers, secondary cat delete pipes and Borla muffler.
Kram,
Would you say the majority of the power increase came from the T and TB? Lets say vs the 987 box?
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #64

And now I'm thinking how this mod would go using Ben006 plenum.....
Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
And now I'm thinking how this mod would go using Ben006 plenum.....
Yes, but your looking at $300 vs $68 dollars for a new 987 T plenum. We still don't have dyno numbers and I got a feeling the 987 T wll be close in HP to Bens piece.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #66

My bang for buck mods, I couldn't live without them and they don't break the bank.

AutoTop DIY (£20 / $26)
This makes the roof operate with one touch, rather than holding it. It also allows you to operate it on the move without the need to use the handbrake or stop the car. Great for slow moving traffic on the motorway/highway where you can't exactly stop, and it starts raining.

Operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIRxSIefpA

Guide: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/51822-autotop-diy.html

Wheel Refurb (£25 / $33)
Wheels really set off a car, especially a Boxster with its enormous brakes. After some lacquer peeling on my wheels, I decided to refurb the wheels myself. These are only the second set of wheels I've done, and I've had no experience prior to the previous. It's very easy to do if you take your time and, as you can see, the results speak for themselves. If you want to know how, just message me.

Before:

After:

Parking Sensors (£15 / $20)
A ridiculously easy installation (the bumper comes off with around 10 screws), and the sensors are cheap and wired in very easily. The wires are tapped into the reverse light wires so when they turn on, the sensors turn on. Simple. Has made me ensure safe parking without scratching the bumper, and has also added an optional extra to the car to make it look all-the-more premium.

You can just about see them in this photo:

Exhaust Bypass (£130 / $170)
This is a must for me. Operates in almost identical way to the PSE, but without the electronic valves. Two pipes are welded from the exhaust just after the CAT's, straight to the tailpipes. The result is a car which sounds completely exotic, and better than any exhaust system I've heard for the Boxster S.

You can just see the pipes going into the tailpipes:

And how they're routed. It's very simple.

Before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwazw6F6D0

After:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXa-0kXSWUQ

Driving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNejHcEOu1A

There we go!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #67

Subd for future project. Great info here...
JEhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:35 AM   #68

Geraintthomas - You exhasust bypass mod sounds good. Would it be possible to get a few more photos? Maybe the next time its on the lift snap a few more. I just want to make sure I'm clear where the pipes are routed... Thanks for the post
JEhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #69

The start of the pipe is where the photo shows, just after the cat. The other end just needs to exit the back of the car - you could technically stick them straight out the back if you wanted, as they're just there to let the extra noise out. But instead, put them straight into the sides of the tail pipe tips so it looks nice, as seen in the other photo

I took a video for you, just to show the underneath. As you can see they didn't do a great job of cutting cleanly through my exhaust tips, so I'm going to have to tidy that up with a dremel, but you can't see it at all unless you're under the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5vwJXkmul4

Skip to 0:30, that's when you hear it pop

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #70
Need For Speed

Garage
Sorry guys that I just dropped out for a bit and didn't get back to some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwstx View Post
How do you like your Borla back cat exhaust system? I'm just ordered mine and I'm having buyers remorse.
I have yet to put the Borla muffler on. It is going on this coming week with Secondary Cat Delete Pipes. What are you having buyers remorse about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Kram,
Would you say the majority of the power increase came from the T and TB? Lets say vs the 987 box?
Man that's a tough question. The 987 air box would help a stock setup a bit, but that's a lot of work for what little gain you would get. Just doing the T and TB probably would do noting as it's restricted by the 986 small air box. Doing the whole procedure works like a charm and that's where you get your power gains. Been running this setup for almost 2 years now and not a single issue. Car runs like a dream, can't wait to get the Borla muffler and Secondary Cat Delete pipes on this week.

Never did get the headers. The place I ordered it from said it was on back ordered, but would be in a couple of weeks. After 3 weeks I got back in touch with them and they said, just a couple more weeks. Waited 3 weeks and still nothing. So I got in touch with them again and they said it will be shipped out the following week for sure. Well that didn't happen and I didn't want to get past the time I could do a charge back on the charge they had already taken. So I got with my credit card company and had the money refunded back. Went to order the same headers from another place and it's out of stock right now lol.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #71
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
90038502504 - HEXAGON-HEAD SCREW 6 - ES#1377250 Need 4 of these

N01152427 - WASHER - ES#1882232 Need 4 of these

http://www.************************************.com/ES1511639/ Need 2 of these

99711031900 - Throttle Body Gasket - ES#1498080 Need 1 of these

99711041603 - DISTRIBUTOR TUBE - ES#1498085 Need 1 of these

This silicone hose to connect your TB to your intake pipe.

Racing Silicone Hose Elbow Coupler Pipe 3 15" to 3 15" 90 Degree ID 80 mm Black | eBay

This silicone hose to connect your your MAF housing to the intake pipe

Black 3" 3 0" 45 Degree Elbow Silicone Hose Coupler 76mm Intercooler Pipe Turbo | eBay

You will need 2 of these to clamp the silicone hose to the TB and to your intake pipe.

1pc 3" 76mm Turbo Silicone Hose T Bolt Clamp 83mm 91mm 301 Stainless Steel | eBay

Get these to mount inside your intake pipe that goes to your TB, only 2 will fit in there, but the set comes with 4. Adds strength to it as it's flimsy.

One Set of 4 Hub Centric Rings Size 71 5mm to 75mm | eBay

You can probably reuse your plenum gaskets, but I went ahead and bought 3. I could have reused mine.

Porsche Boxster s Intake Manifold Gasket Manifold to Head Set of 3 Genuine | eBay

Search eBay for a used 987 air box. I got mine for $75 shipped on a Best Offer.

Search eBay for a used 996 TB. I got mine for $100 shipped on a Best Offer.

Search eBay for a K&N air filter, if you want to use one.

You have to reuse your MAF housing off your 986 air box or the ECU can not read the air volume correctly.

I wanted to be able to clip a 987 MAF house back onto the 987 air box so I could get more air into the motor, but that requires a tune, so I molded the 986 MAF house inside the 987 MAF housing. When I get the headers, cat delete pipes and Borla muffler, I'll get another 987 MAF house and have a tune done on the car, so all I have to do is unclip the 986 MAF house and clip in the 987 MAF house and get a bigger intake pipe.

You will want to get a plastic iron for this. Hope you have a Harbor Freight around as I broke 2 of them and just took them back and exchanged for new ones.

80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit

You will also use this to cover the hole in the 987 air box. Cut out a piece of the metal screen that's included with the iron kit, melt it into your 987 air box hole, then use the plastic strips in the kit to seal the metal screen. I also wrapped the end of the intake pipe that goes to the MAF housing with the metal screen to give it more strength, melted it into the pipe, then melted the plastic strips around the metal screen.

Or get one off eBay, but be very gentle with it.

80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit Bumper Repair Jaguar Mercedes Fiat BMW Ford | eBay

You will need to fill in the gap around the 986 MAF house to the 987 MAF housing. Use this as it melts when it gets hot from the plastic iron. You don't fill it up completely, just enough to seal it.

Permatex/Tube flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer 81730-1 at AutoZone.com

Get these to make it easy on yourself filling in the gap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y8230G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also want to glue the bottom of the 986 MAF house to the 987 MAF housing. This keeps it in place while doing your work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LGT0GI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used the Honeycomb air straightener so the MAF sensor could get a more accurate air volume reading. You will need remove the 987 MAF house screen and cut out the 987 plastic to install this. You will also need to trim a bit of plastic away from the inside of the 986 MAF house to get the Honeycomb air straightener to fit inside it.

Honeycomb for MAF You'll want the 75mm size

Use the clamps you took off your old Distribution T to clamp the Maf housing to the intake pipe silicone house.

This is a time consuming job, but the end result is well worth it, when you mash the throttle the car goes like stink and the intake roars.

One more thing. If you do it the way I did mine, follow Brad's advice in this post or you will not be able to mount the 987 air box with all the screw hole mounting points.

http://986forum.com/forums/282373-post122.html

The hole I have circled in red will be the screw hole you can not use unless you give the air box some extra room. Take one of the blue grommets and roll pin off your old 986 box, put it in that hole then get a screw bolt that is long enough to reach the screw hole treads in the chassis and tighten it down.

I see my links have now been censored. Guess they don't want the competition to Pelican. Anyways you can take the ending number on the links, which are the part numbers. Google ECS Tuning and put those numbers into the search on their site and it will pull up the part.

Last edited by KRAM36; 01-22-2017 at 11:35 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote