Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #21

'97 in Colorado

Thanks for the advice on the top...I will check. I assume it was probably done as this is a Porsche "certified" used vehicle and they said they did the 100 point ispection. The color is actually Guards Red but I think the light at the time mellowed it a bit. This thing is a blast! I currently am running a new set of Blizzak's for the winter and they are amazing. Traction and control in snow are light years ahead of the Mustang I just parted with. Not that I want to spend much time in the slop with the car. What I really wanted was the GT they had in the showroom but $500,000 was a little steep! Anyway, great site here and look forward to trading stories with you all. Springtime in the Rockies will take on a whole new meaning this year!

rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #22

Mustang
I always loved those late 60's Mustangs but these new one's...I got paid $100 by Ford in focus group about that car in NYC once. Thanks Ford.
THere are couple of them in my autocross club owned by some really good drivers (way better than me) who can't get within two seconds of my Boxster S times. Except for that one guy in the Roush Mustang.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Mustang
I always loved those late 60's Mustangs but these new one's...I got paid $100 by Ford in focus group about that car in NYC once. Thanks Ford.
THere are couple of them in my autocross club owned by some really good drivers (way better than me) who can't get within two seconds of my Boxster S times. Except for that one guy in the Roush Mustang.
yes. They are quarter mile cars. I spent a lot of time and money on suspension with my last GT and actually made quite a bit of progress, but it is no Porsche...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
Thanks for the advice on the top...I will check. I assume it was probably done as this is a Porsche "certified" used vehicle and they said they did the 100 point ispection. The color is actually Guards Red but I think the light at the time mellowed it a bit. This thing is a blast! I currently am running a new set of Blizzak's for the winter and they are amazing. Traction and control in snow are light years ahead of the Mustang I just parted with. Not that I want to spend much time in the slop with the car. What I really wanted was the GT they had in the showroom but $500,000 was a little steep! Anyway, great site here and look forward to trading stories with you all. Springtime in the Rockies will take on a whole new meaning this year!

Autocross times...mmm. They mean ****************. I got my clock cleaned my a base 987 by 2 or so sec. An expert driver is better than the most capable car. Walter Rohle would beat me in a Yugo... but I must say the box s makes me look better than I really am
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #25

2 sconds? that's allot. Since the base 987 and the 986S are very close on power not sure about the torque on the 987. That guy in the 987 must a very good driver in indeed.
Evaluating Autocross times of various cars also depends on how competitive the drivers are, in one of my clubs several classes are seperated by less than .4's of a second as far down as 8th place! And these are very open courses not these mickey mouse sea of cones in an ultra small lot. Those suck!!
The Mustang owner I was referring to is one of those very competitive drivers from a racing family (the father yells at the daughter for letting her brother beat her by .2's!) so not a novice driver by any strectch and I'm routinely much quicker in my BoxsterS. So I guess its safe to say that the mustang driver is pushing the car pretty close to its limit. My conclusion is that The new mustang is a bit one dimensional out of the box as far as sportscars go. But then again the BoxsterS is on another level out of the box.

btw, Autocross times have become regular practices in evaluating and comparing High Performance tires. Granted using the same car. Much more cost effective than spending the day at the track and the directional changes are much more severe in Autocross. Some might argue a better gauge of the "real world" grip than at the track since Autocross speeds rarely exceed 80MPH. Road and Track did a tire shoot out in December and even posted wet Autocross times. Very interesting results considering the prices of the various tires.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-20-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #26

Congrats Rdancd816. Beautiful car. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
00Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #27

my day at Autocross

Thanks for sharing the pics. Here's mine, at my only day of autocross in TX.
ElStevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #28
bmussatti

ElStevano, great looking car! Nice color combo.