Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
New rims and tires on 2000 'S'

Got my new rims and tires yesterday, got them mounted late today. Went from 17s to 18s. Tires being new are a little squirmy but the turn ins are so much sooner, just love it.

Bought the rims Friday from Kurt and they were delivered Tuesday night...as they would say on ebay, "great seller!" Thanks Kurt.

Picture is a little fuzzy, it was getting dark when I took it, I'll get better ones later.

The hole in the floor keeps getting bigger that I'm throwing money in

Oh, for those that like a smoother ride (daily drivers), my 17s with almost new tires will be posted soon.

Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

It looks really high up for some reason. Are the tires the same rolling diameter?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I think it was the early evening light that made the dark between the tires and fenders appear bigger...also I had not let the 46lb of air out that was left in there by the garage. The tires are sized right for the rims, 225/40/18 and 265/35/18. I'll post a pic with better lighting.

Taking a second look I see what you are saying, especially in the front...my eyes were going to the rear where it looks ok...but they are correct size.

Last edited by WhipE350; 04-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Something is up. Your front is sitting way too high. This is my car back in 08 prior to me having the RoW M030 supsension installed. Even then, my car with the same wheel dimensions sits lower than yours.

Need to take it back to whomever installed and check the springs or something.

See attached.
Attached Images

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #5

First Boxster I've seen with a lift kit.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I'm sure it is just a weird pic, it was almost dark and I hadn't let the 46 pounds out yet. I measured the diameter of both the old and new tires/rims and it is exactly the same.

Blue, give me a measurement from underside front of the car to ground and from your driver door underside to the ground...you guys have me thinkin crazy

Oh wait, I'm on a side hill! Duh! Give me the measurements anyway if you have the time.

Last edited by WhipE350; 04-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #7

This my 2000S stock that can with the 18's...mine sits lower too..
Attached Images

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 04-14-2011 at 12:02 PM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Phew, try again, this time flat surface. I measured to lowest point also, is 4.1 inch per owners manual. Phone camera bites, I need something that takes nice clear pics like Wade's.

I did enjoy seeing others pics though. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Carnut

The newer style wheels fit your car very nicely!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

Still looks about 3/4" high to me. Compare the centre of the front wheels to the line along the sill. Even in your newer pic (which does look better) the centre of the crest seems to be lower down (when aligning with that line below the door) than the others? Could be just an eye trick.

jwade - that is one slick looking boxster, good job!
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Could be the new Bilstein HD front and Sport rear that maybe have a little more push upward. They work great though . Took if for a spin tonight, perfect weather here in Charlotte if you don't mind pollen.

Side question, does the RoW M030 lower a car?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
I'm sure it is just a weird pic, it was almost dark and I hadn't let the 46 pounds out yet. I measured the diameter of both the old and new tires/rims and it is exactly the same.

Blue, give me a measurement from underside front of the car to ground and from your driver door underside to the ground...you guys have me thinkin crazy

Oh wait, I'm on a side hill! Duh! Give me the measurements anyway if you have the time.
It still looks a little tall to me too.

The RoW M030 shortens the front springs by 20mm, rears by 10mm. I'm on this suspension so my measurements wouldn't help you much.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #13

Those wheels look better on the 986 than they did on the 987.
A guy down the street from my shop has a set on his seal gray 04-S.
He had them painted the same as my anthracite OZs, after he saw mine. IT looks reall nice, but I think they look great silver on your red car!

Glad you're happy, and I don't think it looks higher, except that first shot taken from ground level. My low angle shot of my 987 makes it look like it sits higher than it does, also.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Thank Kurt,

Ya I had seen the same rim chromed on a red 986 and really really liked it, I figured it would still look good in silver too. Very pleased.

I put Fuzion tires on them, I think the ones I got are made by Bridgestone. Trying to get them broken in. I was going to go with the Hankook again since I was so pleased with them on my other rims, but figure what the heck try something else. The car handles noticeably better with the new rims, the rear tires are some what noisy because of the brand change, wider tire, lower profile...but they are new so I'll give them 300 miles.

The car did look funny in that first pic, I had jacked it up on a side hill so it was riding a little high. It is possible on flat that it is a little high in the front, could be the Bilstein HDs...need someone from a non-RoW 986 to send me some measurements so I can check. If it is it just a small amount, no big deal to me, handles great and looks sweet.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #15

Those wheels look sweet on your car. I love silver instead of chrome. good choice and good upgrade. I dont think there is nothing wrong with your springs or suspension. When i jumped from 17" to 18" I also noticed a slight increase in height. I do believe that my ride gained about 1/2 more in height due to bigger rim and taller tire. I did compared stock 17" and 18" unmounted tires/rims and again, It was about half an inch difference. After the fact, I installed Eibach springs and even though they claim they are compressed and ready to use, I also noticed differences in height in almost all wheels. Took several weeks for the new suspension to settle properly. I still notice sometimes slight differences but mostly due to uneven ground. Give it a couple of weeks before tearing it apart to see if that solves the problem.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
xtremecc, thanks. Yup no tearing apart here! How do you like the Eibach? How's the ride for normal back and forth to work? Also I was wondering did they lower your car too much in the back? I thought about getting them when I did my shocks but didn't know enough to chance it. Send me a pic of your car if you have one.