Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #1

Rear glass window pix I just recieved

I inquired about a replacement top for my 1997 and Steve with bas international sent me these two pictures:

Pricing was kinda high, mostly because it's coming from the UK and our dollar is crap against the pound right now. 690.00 pounds for the top plus shipping to the USA. At today's exchange rate, that would be USD$1311.00.

Anyway, thought you all would like to see what he sent me. I'm not sure if I can afford it, but dang, it might be the last top I'd need to buy and would not have to worry so much about the 40 degree "no drop or rise" issue due to cracking.

Last edited by Brucelee; 03-25-2005 at 06:08 AM. Reason: See message down below on reason for edit
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #2

Thumbs up

We are hoping to have Steve join us as a sponsor here soon. He seems to have a great product.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
lwc

Glass window for 2000 model . . .

I had to see how mine will look with this great new aftermarket top. Looking forward to it being available for purchase.

Last edited by Brucelee; 03-25-2005 at 06:08 AM. Reason: See message further below re: Editing
lwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:59 AM   #4

.....if you didn't buy the concept; 'the good stuff comes at a premium' - you'd be driving a Miata. Sounds like a worthy upgrade.

jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 AM   #5

Jim:

Oh I got the concept alright... Porsche ownership = $$$$

I've dropped $6k on my 1997 boxster since buying it less than a year ago!

But my existing top with a plastic window can be replaced for $425.00 + labor and the new top would last for another 7 years or more. Chopping the plastic doesn't bother me as I do it so infrequently--my car is now retired from a hard life of daily commutes and is a garage queen.

I'm thinking of what I could do with the extra $800.00... correct my subframe problem (off a couple of millimeters from a rear end collision before I bought the car), get those three tiny rust spots I found removed and resprayed, etc.

I wish I were one of those boxter owners who has a nearly flawless car they're enhancing for the fun of it. I'm just trying to restore a car that's been abused and neglected by previous owners. One must make careful decisions about which replacement top to purchase, and frankly, this is the first of MANY retrofit tops to be made and sold... wait a year or two and you'll see three or four companies making them. There's a lot of boxsters out there with cracked plastic windows.

I also noticed that this glass top is half the height of standard ones, which makes sense engineering-wise, but I wonder if it reduces visibility much...the blind spots with the top up are sizeable already and I'd rather not make it worse.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 AM   #6

Red face

I am sorry that I had to edit the pictures out of your postings guys! Seems Steve is attempting to use this board to further the sales of his tops. This is called advertising and he is attempting to get his for free, while our other advertisers actually pay for theirs.

I have invited him to advertise with us (as very reasonable rates) several times and have asked him to refrain from using the board this way unless he becomes a sponsor.

If this keep up, I may have to ban him, which would be ashamed, as I think he has an interesting product to sell and could sell it very well here on 96forum.com.

Thanks for understanding!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:21 AM   #7

The guy never asked me to post pictures. I did it on my own because I thought that bringing good suppliers to the forum's members was part of what we were about.

I realize it may look like he asked us to do this versus him doing it personally to split hairs and abide by the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law, but that's not the case.

But hey, I'm not trying to start a pissing match on this issue...you own the forum and pay for it to be up, so you make the rules!

I completely understand your position and yes, I believe he should be advertising as he'd make his money back very, very quickly with the price of his glass window tops!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #8

I appreciate your understanding. Given what appears to be a winner of a product, I am puzzled why he does not pitch this to our nearly 1500 members?

Go figure!

Thanks!

"I completely understand your position and yes, I believe he should be advertising as he'd make his money back very, very quickly with the price of his glass window tops!"
Old 03-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #9

I have put about a dozen pictures on RennTech, the UK, and the German Boxster boards. There have been over 2,000 views and it has been linked to some other boards.

Justin on the UK board had the glass top put in his 2000 two days ago and pictures of his car are there as well.

I do not think you can see the messages on the UK board unless you first register.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4503

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14592

http://www.staunet.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2726
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Wow! looks really promising! Keep our forum posted on this subject.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #11

R-N: We don't really diagree. Tho' I like the concept and the option finally coming available to us; I'd probably re-plastic myself and buy the best cloth and installer I could find. In my area it's about $1200 total, if I remember correctly.

Your situation is somewhat different again. You show a great deal of courage to tackle the problems and bring her up to spec. Pretty ladies - you never know if they come with a batch of STDs 'till you sleep with them...

jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote