Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #1

How I spend my last Saturdays of each month

How I spend my last Saturdays of each month:

Link to the full set of the Orlando Cars and Cafe November Photos

And if you want more follow this link: OAC: Orlando Cars & Café

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #2

I hate you.

Nothing personnel... I have spent the last two Saturdays hanging wall paper.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

Great pictures. Great cars. What a way to spend a day....thanks for sharing!

SB
Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Great assortment of cars! cant stop looking on that yellow Aston. Thanks for posting
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #5

Wonderful pictures. Thanks Much! :dance:

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

It is truly amazing the variety of premium cars we have show up each month. I am always surprised.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #7

The December meet was moved up a week early due to the Holiday, we also sponsored a Toys for Tots drive this month.

Below are just a few photos from Saturday, link to the full Set here: Orlando Cars and Cafe - December photos

Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #8

That Carrera GT is the sex.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
JTP

The Gallardo Balboni looks soooo nice!!

All the cars are great except for the HMMWV, probably the most unreliable and poorly designed vehicle I've ever driven.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #10

Lots of seriously nice cars at your meets. Wish I was there.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #11

You must admit, reliable or not, the HMMWV is a piece of history. The green one is privately owned by a local collector and ex-military. The beige one was the vehicle the Marines brought to the meet to pick up the Toys for Tots we collected.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
You must admit, reliable or not, the HMMWV is a piece of history. The green one is privately owned by a local collector and ex-military. The beige one was the vehicle the Marines brought to the meet to pick up the Toys for Tots we collected.
I didn't mean to minimize your car club or the charity drive you had there. Toys for Tots is a great cause and using iconic cars is a great way to attract prople and donations. All great cars and sounds like a fun time. I wish I could attend.

I agree the HMMWV (Humvee) is a piece of military history just like the GP (Jeep). Most civilians practically worship it as the premiere off road truck and battle hardened combat vehicle. I remember as a kid when the Humvee was introduced to the public I said to myself I will get one someday. Having experienced the true awfulness of it, The very sight of it irritates me, especially when it's on public roads. Living with it on a daily basis, you see all the shortcomings and the need for a better vehicle. The new MRAP is much better, although a bit large.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #13

Just curious, what were the specific problems you had with the Humvee design/reliability? Was your usage in the military, or civilian?
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #14

Help Identify a car

There was a white supercar in the pictures with the lambo's and ferrari's, what was that I'd never seen that before?
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Matt Fredrikson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20
There was a white supercar in the pictures with the lambo's and ferrari's, what was that I'd never seen that before?
Almost looks like a Saleen S7 ??
Matt Fredrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #16

^ Noble (M400 I think)

JTP, no offense taken

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Just curious, what were the specific problems you had with the Humvee design/reliability? Was your usage in the military, or civilian?
Steve
I use them in the military. The older models are severely underpowered, too heavy, and will get stuck more often than people realize. The designers never heard of the word "ergonomics" nor "functionality". Visibility is very poor, not just in the blind spot but forward as well. I have a CDL and driven all sorts of trucks but this is the worst. The seats offer little to no adjustment, the military thinking that all soldiers are built exactly the same and when you wear body armor the steering wheel is pretty much in your chest. They tell us we have to wear seatbelts but it is impossible while wearing armor. The radio mounts in such a way that in order to effectively use it you need to be either in the back seat, or if your truck is a two seater you need to crane your neck at an impossible angle to view the panel. Ventilation is awful. The hood is pretty good to sleep on though. These trucks break down all the time, usually at the worst times.

The newer models have a higher power output and alittle better reliablity, but being clad with armor performance is not improved (10-12,000lb empty weight). With the new armor, it is very top heavy, harder to get unstuck, and in the event of a rollover, the doors are nearly impossible to open if the truck is unfortunate to land on its side or at an angle. Armored doors weigh 200-500 lbs each depending on the model. Exiting the vehicle in a hurry is a bit tricky too, with the high sill. And Humvees are also not very good at taking IED blasts. I think alot of the problem is lack of coordination between the military and AM General. Mission requirements are always changing and the manufacturer either can't keep pace or are not allowed to change the basic design so that all trucks have the same design for maintenance issues. The original design did not allow much for changes or addition of extra equipment which the military has always done. It's like Clark Griswold's station wagon. They kept putting extra crap on and they didn't know when to stop.

I'll use whatever the military tells me to use, but I can't see a poor design implemented for thousands of soldiers to use will be very mission effective. The poor design of the HMMWV has been in the news for years and finally they are doing something about it. Atleast we no longer use them in combat operations using them only for training and FOB/Garrison use. We sold many to the Iraqis and we now use MRAPs, which are a vast improvement.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #18

Interesting, I didn't realize they were that bad. I knew they were underpowered and poor against IED's, but not how easily they got stuck and the rest. They had the same problems with the Bradley. Trying to be everything at once, and constantly changing design goals.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #19

Don't think its an M400 but I wanna know what it is. Its about to become my new obsession!
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #20

Sorry, it's a Rossion Q1 http://www.rossioncars.com/
He has been out to the last two meets but both times I missed getting a closer look.