Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Just got a (2001) Boxster!

I finally pulled the trigger and flipped my '91 NSX for a beautiful 2001 Seal Grey with black interior. I had been missing the top-down experience and was finding the NSX simply lacking visceral appeal. Happy to say, the Boxster really communicates with you as you drive and, while still able to turn heads, inspires less of the 'Fast and Furious' set to buzz about you in their Civics and RSX's flashing you the 'Honda Nation' hand signals. Before the NSX, I had a wonderful Miata, and this is like that car, only all growed up:dance: ...not sure what this dancing guy means, but he looks cool and acts like I did after I drove the Box home. And that was in rush-hour traffic! What a car! I'll try to post pics soon but it's likely you've all seen a stock grey Boxster before...not that that'll stop me

Old 09-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #2

Except for the engine^
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

...it has an engine?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #4

Congrats on your purchase I'm sure you will have many many years of happy motoring in the Boxster. It's pretty cool that I can "see" the sh_t eating grin on your face as you mash down on the loud pedal from your description of the ride home.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

I did refrain from adding the word 'exhilerating'...though I now can, having had the opportunity to get out on a variety of roads. I LIKE this car!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #6

Icebox-

I have alway's liked the NSX, I have even considered buying one [kind of..]

I just saw some Pic's of a FJ-40/ NSX looked really cool. Probably more dependable.

Can you give me a one on one comparison between the stock Boxster and the NSX i.e. power, handling etc..
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

I can...in terms of handling I have never driven anything more capable than the NSX. It's smooth and extremely easy to come to grips with on the track, exhibiting none of the usual snap transitions of other mid-engine cars. With 270hp, it's also faster than the Boxster and the power is so linear you quickly discover you're going much faster than it feels. And that's where things come apart. The whole feel of the car is muted under layers of competance. It's been set up to compensate for any lack that a prospective owner has in skill, so any monkey can drive it relatively well. There's little sense of accomplishment after a spirited drive unless you're really pushing it. The Boxster delivers a better seat-of-the-pants driving experience despite the NSX's broader performance envelope. And it's amazing how few people recognize an NSX. A Porsche, on the other hand...
At any rate, being ten years newer with those ten year's tech advancements plus a more appealing (to me) design helped me make the decision. On paper, the NSX is faster, lighter and at least as nimble as the Boxster. The Boxster is more tactile, with better ergonomics, nicer stereo, more pleasing to the eye and to the touch, more luggage space and is a pure sports car. The best comparison I can offer is that I gave up an NSX for the Boxster. 'Nuf said!
Old 09-04-2004, 05:32 AM   #8

Box,
You dont't have to offer an excuse why the switch. WE welcome you! With your sport car skills I can see you pushing the Boxster performance envelope to its max. The Boxster is a super car to drive blessed with very dynamic design which to me looks in the Porsche tradition of being ageless. My 2003 Boxster S is my daily driver and I get plenty of looks and stares with my top down everywhere I go.
The best part is that I get to work with a smile on my face everyday and arrive home in the same manner eventhough I was stuck in the highway in Long Island.
Carpe Porsche!!- There is no equal or substitute.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i think he did -- if you read between the lines. when you are driving a porsche, you KNOW you are driving a porsche. it has a feel and design that is unmatched by any car -- maybe in the world. to me, based on pure sports car pleasure and for all the things i love about cars, there is only one possibility above a porsche -- and thats a ferrari.

there are a TON of nice super-exotics (lambo, astin, maz, nsx, etc) but none of them (with exception of ferrari) have the history, the prestiege or have stayed closer to what had made them a fantastic car in the first place than Porsche.

i think its much like the ZO-6 -- it may be faster... it may even beat a boxster in the twisties... but its STILL only a vette. A porsche, i think we all can agree, goes way beyond the numbers on the stat sheet.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #10

True, true, but mashing the gas in a Z06 can make you forget about heritage and history, at least momemtarily. That thing distorts your face when you hit the loud pedal and is quite fun to drive. Makes my S feel like a geo metro in the straights. Plus, Vettes have heritage. Been around since 53' which is about 10 years longer than the 911.

Last edited by Adam; 09-04-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

While I'll agree 'vettes have a longevity, and a dedicated following, less can be made for their racing heritage. Only recently have Corvettes shone in top-level international competitions such as Le Mans, while Porsche has had a continuous presence atop the podium, admittedly in the GT3 class, but that's the same car you can buy at the dealership. The 'vette, at 700+ hp most certainly is not. That level of precision cannot be found even in the formidable C6, and while driving one can be exhilerating, so is a roller-coaster. So I'm not positing excuses as much as I'm relating my observations between two very fine rides. But I whole-heartedly embrace that Carpe Porsche thing...though what fish have to do with my car is...mystifying...
Old 09-05-2004, 12:31 AM   #12

I seriously had to question my Porsche addiction the other day when I went for a drive in a 2003 Lingenfelter 650 Vette. Bone stock appearing 215 mph car on pump gas. Twin turbo 650 hp. It was the first time in a long time that I have done over 200 mph in a street car (on HWY 280 during the day... bay area people know) It was all I could do to keep this car between TWO lanes when I hammered the gas from 40mph (on ramp). Truelly frightening. I had to give the car back to the owner.. I would have went to jail or killed myself. The rush of acceleration was addictive.

Oh.. pop the hood and you saw nothing out of the ordinary. Look inside the car.. no boost gauges.. NOTHING. Bone stock appearing. True sleeper.

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote