Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #1

Almost as many Caymans sold as Cayennes

NA sales figures from January:

1023 Cayman S
360 Boxster/Boxster S
810 Carrera (all types)
1028 Cayenne
11 GT
total U.S. sales 3,232, Porsche's best ever January in the US.
Source: PCNA press release Feb 1, 2006.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #2

I can see why. I saw the most gorgeous yellow one at the Philly auto show on sunday (I needed an excuse to take my new toy for a long drive ). For the price and the sexyness of the car I can see it being a top seller in winter months.

Rob
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #3

Yes I was surprised to see that being reported. ALLOT of skeptics about whether this could be a money maker for Porsche. With more CaymanS sold already than were sold in the last three years for the GT2 I guess its a win win for Porsche.
Low production costs and BIG profits. Is my math off or did Porsche just make $72,000,000 in 2006 on this car already?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
bmussatti

Perfectlap, I'd say your estimate is a little rich, but very close. You used an average price of $70K and most of the Caymans I see are in the $65K range on average. Still a big number.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #5

I went to my local Porsche dealers Cayman launch last week. I like it but its no 911. Plus in Australia with a few options it retails for $170,000. Fark !! oh and you can't buy one this year all gone....I just bought a 2000 GT3 for $150,000 with 15K's whats a better buy? The Cayman is better in the flesh than photo's but if i'd just spent that sort of money i don't think i'd be as happy as i am now. I went to the launch with a few none Porsche friends and none of them got even slightly excited by the Cayman they all wandered and spent more time admiring old 911's and the latest Carrerra S. Porsche have a winner though NO DOUBT all sold, can't argue that......
civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #6

It is premature to declare the Cayman S a financial winner or loser just yet.

Think Ford Thunderbird. Could not get enough on the lot for about 12 months.

Also, think Chrysler Crossfire. Ditto.

The next two years will tell alot.

Stay tuned.

Nice car though!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic
I went to my local Porsche dealers Cayman launch last week. I like it but its no 911. Plus in Australia with a few options it retails for $170,000. Fark !! oh and you can't buy one this year all gone....I just bought a 2000 GT3 for $150,000 with 15K's whats a better buy? The Cayman is better in the flesh than photo's but if i'd just spent that sort of money i don't think i'd be as happy as i am now. I went to the launch with a few none Porsche friends and none of them got even slightly excited by the Cayman they all wandered and spent more time admiring old 911's and the latest Carrerra S. Porsche have a winner though NO DOUBT all sold, can't argue that......
Just wait a couple years and I'm sure near mint Caymans will be going for the same price as a later model 996 is right now (ie 40-50k). I like the 911 but it would be that much better if the engine was in the proper place.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #8

In an odd sighting, I saw my first second-hand Cayman already. For San Diegans, it was "on the lot" of the Honda dealership on Convoy, parked on the side-street (Engineer Rd).

It was black and had the Honda dealer plates on it. Wonder what it possibly could have been traded in for....unless the dealer got it at auction already, but doesn't strike me as something a Honda dealer would buy for inventory. Maybe Bruce will know why bad things happen to good cars.

Same day (yesterday) I also saw my first on-the-street sighting of the Cayman, tried to catch up (to give the wave or the finger, depending on what the driver looked like ) but traffic wouldn't allow.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #9

This does happen fairly often. Generally, a dreamer walks into the showroom and has the "fever" for a certain car. You can see the glazed look in their eyes.

They buy the car (often at list) and then, several weeks later they figure out that this is NOT IT!

Car can be too:

Slow
Fast
Small
Large
Expensive
Cheezy

Etc etc etc.

Then, off to trade this in on the next car that will be IT!

That is my guess.

My second guess is a bad back. This causes more fast trade ins that you can imagine.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #10

Wow.

If a late model Porsche is "not it" what the hell could a person be searching for?
jbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrow
Wow.

If a late model Porsche is "not it" what the hell could a person be searching for?

Well, that is the point. Some of these folks never find IT and for some, it is simply not a Porsche.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #12

One man's loss, another man's gain, the way I see it. Somebody will get a new car for some degree of discounted price.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #13

I asked my mechanic's opinion of the new Cayman S and he said, "It's got so much engine noise inside the car that I'm afraid I wouldn't enjoy driving it every day."

So how about it, Cayman owners? Is the interior noise level--albeit a beautiful sound--so loud that one might think twice about owning one as a daily driver?

How about the heat buildup in the car from the engine? I would imagine that would be a bother on a long road trip as well... it certainly gets a little warm in back of the boxster on long trips with the top up or down.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #14

When I test drove the Cayman S I found the noise to be just as loud but on a sweeter note than my 2.7, so I think I might enjoy the sound more, particularly at low revs where the noise eventually grates on me (top down I don't mind).

So the mystery is solved on this one. I stopped by the Honda dealership to make inquiries and it turns out one of the salesman just purchased the Cayman S, and has the Honda plates on it in a bit of self-promotion.

Sorry to get everyone's panties in a twist over this one.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote