Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #61
SHC

will this work if the radio is MOST equiped?

SHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcoolone
Adding an audio input in vehicles with factory CD Changer required disconnecting the cd changer.
The following is a quick an easy solution for those who wish to play an iPod or Mp3 player on the stereo system without having to disconnect the cd changer.

The folks at discount car stereo.com have told me that they have verified this process using the SON-AUX electronic audio switcher.

The Son-aux is an electronic switcher with RCA-type input and output (jacks and plugs). In order for this to work the vehicle must have a BUS cable and separate audio cables (red/white) from the radio to the cd changer location in the trunk.

Take a look at the SON-AUX wiring diagram:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/son-aux2.pdf

1. Installation requires you disconnect the existing audio lines at the changer and connect them to the RCA jack on the SON-AUX (based on diagram its the RCA's at the top-- you will need an RCA adapter plug)
2. Connect the cd changer audio outputs to the Son-aux where it is labeled 1 "connect auxiliary device to RCA" you will need a short RCA cable)
3. Connect your audio device to Son-aux where is is labeled 2 "connect auxiliary audio device to RCA".
4. You will also need to connect the yellow wire to a constant 12V source and the black wire to ground.

How it works.
(Note: At least one "CD" must be loaded in the changer.)
1. Access your cd changer by pressing the button on the radio. The cd will begin to play.
2. To listen to your auxiliary device (iPod, MP3 etc) press play. The SON-AUX will interrupt the audio coming from the cd changer and switch to the auxiliary device.
Pause or stop the auxiliary device and after 10 seconds the Son-AUX will switch back to the cd changer. Its that simple.

A few tips.
iPod and MP3 users can use a simple 3.5 to RCA adapter cable. Use for audio only.
iPod only users can purchase a universal ipod cable which will play and charge your iPod via the dock connector.
Keep in mind that neither of the above cables will allow you to control iPod from the radio buttons.

Thanx dood! Works like a charm.. I don't use the CD changer, so I just disconnected the RCA connections.. so now I will wire in a 3.5 jack into the dash area somewhere...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #63

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_168
Ho-Lee S**T!! this is on order.. I have my ipod and my sirius radio to hook up!! the FM transmitter is the sux.com

BTW, Chillis, I stole yer sigi picture.. I have the exact same car... I love the hunter green...

lol, its a great color for a Porsche, isn't it?

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
lol, its a great color for a Porsche, isn't it?
mmmhmmm.... The best, I think.. I heard that it was only available up to 2000? The green color, tan interior, and the wheels are just a great combo... What do they call the wheels we have? were they an ooption?(i bought mine used..)

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #65

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I think they are called Sport Classic II wheels.

I have black interior. I would sell my left testicle for the tan interior, though. The black is way too hot in the summer and I like the way the tan looks with the dark green.

My next Porsche will have tan.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHC
will this work if the radio is MOST equiped?
Sorry that solution is for Non-MOST application.
2003-Up MOST application require a GW51MO2 by Dension. With it you get aux, USB and iPod-- controlled by radio, display on radio etc.
quietcoolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I think they are called Sport Classic II wheels.

I have black interior. I would sell my left testicle for the tan interior, though. The black is way too hot in the summer and I like the way the tan looks with the dark green.

My next Porsche will have tan.
Yikes! black interior! whew.. I got lucky I guess, Picked mine up from a Lexus dealer in 2001.. I was like, "mmm 1yr old boxster with 11k on it, I'll give yas 34k cash.." they were like, "ok"..

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #68

iPhone 3G

Has anyone got any mods/cables/whatever to work with iPhone 3G?

What I'm looking to do is put a dock IN one of the actual cup holders that I can push in/out as I wish (2002 Base Boxster). Problem is, I am looking for some kind of info on cup-holder removal/assembly.

Also, I want make sure this will charge my iPhone 3G....
Anyone?

unavita: Awesome looking set-up. Kudos!
i3urtonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #69
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You're on your own with a cup holder setup, but any iPod cable/dock connector will work with an iPhone.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #70

Thumbs down

just spoke with Pacific Accessory - they make the IC-RCA cable ... this will NOT work with the iPhone 3G. It will transfer audio, but will NOT charge the unit.

Guess I have to wait a few months (hopefully not much longer) for a 3G version of the cable to come out.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #71

Just in time for winter project.... iPhone 3G Compliant cable came out!

Part Number: IC-AV2
from Pacific Accessory coproration

•Provides Audio & Video output.
•Charges iPod.
•Compatible with ALL iPods including the iPod Classic, iPhone, 3G iPhone, iTouch, 2nd generation iTouch, & the 3rd & 4th generation iPod Nanos.

RCA to Ipod connector.
:dance:
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #72

Did IPOD Aux Cable-Can't Get Cupholder Back In

Hi All, need help: I spent last weekend putting in the discountstereo IPOD cable (and Pelican rear speaker kit)...the good news is it sounds and works great, but I had to pull out the cupholder to feed the stereo wires back in..thus the bad news: I can't get the cheeseball cupholder back in! There are two flimsy plastic triangular brackets that the whole unit screws into, and they fall out and I see no way to hold them in place to screw the holder unit back in. Even tried pulling the stereo again (aaaargh). Any ideas? I remember someone mentioning the cupholder slides come out of the frame, to the front-is this the idea? I'm contemplating a hot glue gun or sumpin sumpin to hold the A brackets still while I come in from the front.

Thanks in advance
Roger
2002 "S"
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #73

I have been reading this thread and my head wants to explode. Is there any ipod adapter solution for am '08 987 with Bose Stereo and no navigation that will not involve drilling and allow me to return to stock when ipods/iphones become as obsolete as a betamax? It sounds as if the FM Transmitter adapters are not really that good, especially in highly populated areas.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #74

Update for those with new iPhones/iPods

Many of you using the BLAU/8-pod or BLAU/8-3nput may still be able to use them to play the new iPod/iPhones released September 2008 but should know that these will not charge. Apple decided to change the way these iPod charge by switching from 12V FireWire to 5V USB.
So, if you purchase one of these new iPods (iPhone(3G), Nano(4G), iTouch(2G) you will have to charge them elsewhere or update your dock connector to one that supports 5V USB Charge.

Peripherals just released the IS75 (Audio) and IS76 (Audio/Video) adapter cables and it appears that these cables will charge both new and older iPods/iPhones.
The problem is that these adapters terminate in RCA plugs instead of the 8-pin plug that fits the aux input on the radios .

Two separate parts are required to complete installation:
BLAU/8-RCA
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=288

IS75 or IS76(PXP01V)
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=896
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1299

I recommend the IS75 because it has two inputs;
A 3.5mm (1/8" jack) for an MP3 or SAT Radio etc
and the dock connector for iPod/iPhone
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #75
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcoolone
Many of you using the BLAU/8-pod or BLAU/8-3nput may still be able to use them to play the new iPod/iPhones released September 2008 but should know that these will not charge. Apple decided to change the way these iPod charge by switching from 12V FireWire to 5V USB.
So, if you purchase one of these new iPods (iPhone(3G), Nano(4G), iTouch(2G) you will have to charge them elsewhere or update your dock connector to one that supports 5V USB Charge.

Peripherals just released the IS75 (Audio) and IS76 (Audio/Video) adapter cables and it appears that these cables will charge both new and older iPods/iPhones.
The problem is that these adapters terminate in RCA plugs instead of the 8-pin plug that fits the aux input on the radios .

Two separate parts are required to complete installation:
BLAU/8-RCA
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=288

IS75 or IS76(PXP01V)
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=896
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1299

I recommend the IS75 because it has two inputs;
A 3.5mm (1/8" jack) for an MP3 or SAT Radio etc
and the dock connector for iPod/iPhone
That's interesting. The iPod could always be charged through USB 5V. The iPod doc interface carries both 12V and 5v input. I didn't realize the 12v could also be used to charge the iPod but it makes sense that that's what automotive based chargers were doing. Now we'll need a 12-5v transformer and wire up the the 5v pin in the doc connector to charge in the car, which presumably is what the two cables you linked to are doing.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Another alternative would be to buy an older iPod for listening to music in the car and continuing to use the 12v charge port. The early touch wheel iPods are not very expensive anymore.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-09-2008 at 11:34 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #76
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667

You need something like this to get new iPods to charge off of cables that provide power over via firewire. Personally, I use my old 3rd Generation 40GB iPod in my car, it has four separate buttons so it's easy to use without looking. 40GB is plenty for just music, and it can be charged via FW.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667

You need something like this to get new iPods to charge off of cables that provide power over via firewire. Personally, I use my old 3rd Generation 40GB iPod in my car, it has four separate buttons so it's easy to use without looking. 40GB is plenty for just music, and it can be charged via FW.
Rick3K i heard about that adapter and failed to mention it as an option.
Those with Firewire (12V charge) dock connectors (i.e. BLAU/8-Pod etc) should give the "Passport" some consideration, however here is what some people are saying about it.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #78
Porscheectomy

Question for the folks using the iPod doc connector instead of the headphone jack to aux:

I'm using the RCA adapter kit from Becker and plugging my iPod into it through the headphone jack. When I listen to the iPod, I have to turn it's volume all the way up to be about the same volume as the radio/CD.

Do the folks using the doc connector get about the same volume level as the radio/CD without adjustment?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #79
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If you use a dock connector the audio adjustments on your iPod will not affect the audio going to the stereo, and you use your stereos volume to control it. Because of this you don't need to worry about you're output volume affecting sound quality which can be a problem with the 3.5mm connection. (For example if you turn your iPod all the way down and your stereo all the way up, it will sound horrible.)
Old 12-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #80
Porscheectomy

It's understood that the audio signal from the doc is audio out and not volume controlled. The question is, what is the level of volume? Is it high enough that you don't have to turn it up compared to the radio?

On a side note, there is no discernible distortion on the iPod's max volume setting. They're very high quality devices.