Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #1

Rear Wheel Bearing Issue

Hello All,

Despite my love for the little car (2002 Boxster S), she still breaks down more than I would like her to. Car has now begun to make a sort of whop - whop - whop sound with each revolution of the rear tire..... A good independant has diagnosed the issue as a failing passenger side wheel bearing. Wants about $500.00 to replace it. Car has 46K Miles and CPO Warantee.... (2) local dealers, after much deliberation say "its not covered" I checked my workshop manual and the job looks to require more than a few special tools......

????????????

Any thoughts on how I am going to get out of this one????

Keep in mid this is after laying out $1,400.00 for new Michelin Pilots and I still need an alignment for $200-$300......

Help, Oh Great Ones, Help.

I still love the little car, I do, but I loved it more before the factory Warantee wore off......

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #2

Hi,

Considering the effort involved, $500 isn't so bad. I might have them both done at the same time, that should scale it down a little.

I realize that in addition to all the other things, this just really stings.

My cartoon is in no way directed at you, but it's funny how many times we hear this when someone's car lets them down. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-22-2007 at 07:13 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
Hello All,

Despite my love for the little car (2002 Boxster S), she still breaks down more than I would like her to. Car has now begun to make a sort of whop - whop - whop sound with each revolution of the rear tire..... A good independant has diagnosed the issue as a failing passenger side wheel bearing. Wants about $500.00 to replace it. Car has 46K Miles and CPO Warantee.... (2) local dealers, after much deliberation say "its not covered" I checked my workshop manual and the job looks to require more than a few special tools......

????????????

Any thoughts on how I am going to get out of this one????

Keep in mid this is after laying out $1,400.00 for new Michelin Pilots and I still need an alignment for $200-$300......

Help, Oh Great Ones, Help.

I still love the little car, I do, but I loved it more before the factory Warantee wore off......
If it makes you feel better, my bearing went out at about 33,000 miles. If all they are charging you is $500 that is good because dealer price for the bearing alone is about $70 on up. If you have a tie rod puller you can do it yourself and take it to a machine shop to have them press out and press in the new bearing and the charge less than 50 bucks to do it. I'm curious why your warranty will not cover it especially if it is a cpo. Arent those CPO warranties suppose to mirror the factory warranty?
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #4

Wheel Bearings

I am in exactly the same position.

Got some great advice from the guys here

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9354

but still saving to change them. Mine failed at 78k miles.

G
gdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #5

Smile

Sounds like an accurate diagnosis and that IS a good price.

I would press them on the CPO warranty and make them show you where it says in the warranty documents that this is not covered.

My guess is that you DON'T have any warranty documents?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #6

Well, it turns out my '02 S with 24,000 miles-under a CPO warranty, has a bad left rear bearing-and both San Diego dealers (you know who) looked it up and found it's not covered! What bull****************-since when are bearings "wear items"? The service mgr recommended I take it up with the regional Porsche rep. I wont hlod my breath

The irony is-looking at the Porsche list of covered items by p/n (many pages mind you), the bearings are about the only thing NOT on the list....

oh yeah-$480
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Check out the Boxster Wiki

I did a write up when I changed out my wheel bearings. If you are mech. inclined, you should not have much trouble. There are a few special tools, but with bearings that last in the 50-60k mile range, you will prob. be doing others in the future. You could allways get the tools and sell em to some one else that needs them and recoup most. of the cost.

Steve

http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Wheel_Bearing_Change
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair
Well, it turns out my '02 S with 24,000 miles-under a CPO warranty, has a bad left rear bearing-and both San Diego dealers (you know who) looked it up and found it's not covered! What bull****************-since when are bearings "wear items"? The service mgr recommended I take it up with the regional Porsche rep. I wont hlod my breath

The irony is-looking at the Porsche list of covered items by p/n (many pages mind you), the bearings are about the only thing NOT on the list....

oh yeah-$480

Yes, they pulled the same crap on me with wheel bearings.]

And isn't it sad that they have to "look it up." Given how often these guys blow our bearings, they should know that right off.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I did wind up getting the independant to repalce the passenger side rear wheel bearing for about $480.00 and all is well now. Special thanks to 986rgt for the great right up on how to do this yourself. If (when?) the next one goes out I just might give it a shot. Still burns me this is not covered by CPO. Still love the little car.

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote