Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

Water not draining- rough starts?

My 99 Boxster has had a tough time starting the last couple of days. Before that it was completely fine. Yesterday and today, when trying to start up it's taking a couple of tries. The computer has reset the clock and the gauges go crazy. I thought the battery was bad, and I haven't been to have it tested yet, but today when I washed the car and went to check the battery, I found about an 1.5 inches of water sitting in the tray around the battery- is this normal?
Any help you can provide would be great!
Thanks

mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #2

Hi,

It's not normal to have that much water standing anywwhere in the car. The drains must be clogged with debris. You'll need to clear them by forcing a Coat Hanger Wire through them. But, check the carpet under the Driver Seat to make sure the Alarm module didn't get wet. Also, could be a bad ignition switch - lot of that going around lately...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks! Could you explain perhaps where the drains are exactly? I don't want to be poking a coathanger into places that don't need a coathanger!
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookarma
Thanks! Could you explain perhaps where the drains are exactly? I don't want to be poking a coathanger into places that don't need a coathanger!
Hi,

Send me a PM w/ your email addy, and I'll send you a diagram of the drains as a Word document. PMs don't allow attachments...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #5

I'm not 100% positive on boxsters because I havent had mine too long. I'm going to asume it is like most all cars. Pull the battery and then the tray that the battery sits on. Or look in the corners of the battery compartment theres got to be a hole 1/8-1/4" hole which would have a plastic hose which you probably won't see but would carry any water out near the A-pillar somewhere. Jim, correct me if I'm wrong thanks.

You don't think this was from the battery before you washed it do you? Battery could be bad causing your electrical to go funny at start up, then works fine once you are using your alternator?

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote