Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #21

I have the exact same tear in the same spot. It's not vandilism - it's a classic drop-the-top-with-no-karate-chop tear. I raised and lowered my top a few times before learning the necessity of the karate chop, and that's what happened. If you get a vertical crease in the window as the top is going down and the crease "rolls" to the side, that is how it tears.

I made an appointment today, actually, to get my GAHH installed. Fingers crossed.

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I did the Boxster Chop when I put the top down, but it was probably a bit below freezing in my garage when I did it. I'm pretty sure that's how I got the tear. It really sucks because the top is in such good condition. It looks brand new.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Okay, so here's what I did:

My fiance found some plastic/vinyl glue at Lowe's made by Loc-tite, and I glued the window together. Now before you start flaming poor Chills let me explain.

The crack is about 4 inches long and right along the fabric. I took a toothpick and used it to apply small amounts of glue along the inside of the crack and then put a small layer on top of the crack. I did two applications just to make sure, letting it dry and set a day between applications.

Amazingly enough it worked. The glue is holding. I washed the car on Tuesday and the crack didn't leak. It was so nice later that day that I put the top down, and the glue held. It didn't crack.

From the outside you can't see it unless you are looking for it, so it doesn't look trashy at all. Now mind you, this is a temporary fix. I will still get a new top with a glass window, but for now I can still drive around and not worry about the crack.
Thanks for the info! At least now we know that there's a temporary fix that won't stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Convertible window crack

I had the problem too, a crack formed on the plastic window. I stopped by many places and they were charging from $1000-$2000

I went to porsche dealer and talked to the technican personally so no service manager crap trying to ripe you off. They direct my to a Upholstery person

"Bob's auto upholstery"
Redlands, CA 92374
Phone (909) 793-0043

He drove to my house took the top off professionally, and came back the next day with a brand new tinted rear plastic window and installed back on my car for $600

heres a picture of my rear window (sorry my car is really dirty wasn't washed for 8 weeks)

EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Ummm... Thanks Europrojectkelvinzwhatever but as you can see I live in Naperville, ILLINOIS. That's a long way from California. Also, I was quoted $750 for a new plastic window. I'd rather pay a reputed shop $750 than have someone no one has heard of do it for $600.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote