Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Need top advice

I just found out that there is a significant tear in my plastic window. I honestly don't know how it happened or when it happened. I was rear-ended at the end of December and my car was at a repair shop for a few weeks having the bumper and exhaust replaced. Is it possible they tore it? If so how would I go about proving it?

The tear is on the driver's side right against the fabric. What are my options regarding repair or replacement?

This bites.

Here's a picture of the tear, boggtown saw it and circled it for me.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg

Last edited by Chills; 02-08-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #2

Well, I made some phone calls to shops in the area. The local shop that works on Boxsters and can put the top on charges the following:

$695 to replace the plastic window only.

$1400 to replace the whole top with a glass window top. This is parts and labor

$750 in labor to put a top on if I bring it to them. I checked eBay and the cheapest top I can find is $625+$30 s/h. That means it'll be $1405 to use the eBay top.

So it looks like to get a new top with glass it'll be best to have them order it and put it on.

Or should I just replace the plastic?

Old 02-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Of course your budget dictates which way you can go, but if up front cost were not a factor I would go with the new top w/glass.

Seems if you go plastic you will run into the same issue again.

Just my .02
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #4

if the rest of the top is in good shape...you should be able to have the window replaced for under 400...I have seen threads talking about 300-400 in the NJ area.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #5

Looks like someone cut that with an knife. Call your insurance company, tell them about it and see if they will cover the cost of replacement. Then $$ is less of a factor in your decision (deductable??). If they count it as a break in it is covered by comprehensive and your rate will not likely increase.
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

I doubt an inch and a half tear will constitute a break-in. I would just get it replaced with glass... that's what I did and i'm very happy. Mine broke in the same spot on a cold day. That plastic window is garbage and I wasn't about to replace it every year. Plus, getting out of the car to chop the window halfway thru putting down the top is a pain in the ass. That price seems reasonable enough.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #7

Chills,

I would cough up the $1400 and get the glass top...

Never having to get out of the car and do the "Boxster Chop" again : priceless !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #8

I'll check with my insurance company and see if they'll help me out.

If not, then I'll just cough up the money for the new top with the glass. It's unfortunate, because the rest of the top looks brand new. I must admit the idea of having defrost and not having to Boxster Chop the window anymore is very appealing.

The actual tear is 3-4 inches in length. I am pretty sure I did it. When my painter friend came over with my new parts I put the top down in the garage to make working easier. It was chilly in there and that's probably when it happened.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #9

I originally planned on getting a new gahh top with a glass window when my plastic rear window cracked. But then several things happened. First, one of the better shops in the area refused to put a glass Gahh top on my 2000 boxster. He said he had just done two of them and the cut of the Gahh top with a glass window was not right. He claimed Gahh was aware of the problem.

He had no problem with the Gahh tops with the plastic window, according to him the issue was with the tops with the glass windows. I was also concerned about the ease of getting into the engine with the glass window, and finally, I ran out of money. So I sprung for the 600.00 rear window replacement which looks great. I did not realize how poor my visibility was with my old hazzy plastic window.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #10

Top!

I paid $625 for the black glass convertible top and $500 for a professional install, the top is oem specs and comes with 5 yrs warranty. Contact me and I can provide you with info.

Porsche charges 12 total hours in labor and over 3k for the top with a plastic. Dont do it! Do yourself a favor and shop around, Gahh is good however expensive as well. Robbins top work extremely good! Check on ebay, yes ebay for the top!

Good luck!
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #11

1400 for a GAHH w/ glass window installed is a very good deal. I have to replace mine too, the shop here wants 2300 for a GAHH with a glass window installed.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Not hearing this from me, but you may be able to claim that someone vandalized your car and this may be covered under comprehensive coverage. If you are not sure how this occurred, then it is possible that someone tried to cut it... but not likely. Proceed at your own risk.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #13

Chills, I'm in a similar situation... a couple cracks the each of the lower corners of my plastic rear window..

One shop quoted $580 to replace the rear plastic window... didn't inquire about a whole top..

Other shop (that installed my mother's top on her LeBaron, and did a great job) quoted $450 to replace the window. $1250 for a GAHH plastic window top installed or $1880 for a GAHH glass window top installed. $650 to install a top if I purchase on my own.

It's not a cheap proposition any way you slice it. I'll probably just do the replacement rear window, and try to get another year or two out of my stock top... then glass rear window!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet_jones
1400 for a GAHH w/ glass window installed is a very good deal. I have to replace mine too, the shop here wants 2300 for a GAHH with a glass window installed.

If my shop offered that price for a GAHH glass top installed, I'd probably work some mad OT and use my upcoming bonus to do that. That's $500 less than the guys around here want!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #15

I'm glad to hear that $1400 is a good deal for a glass windowed top. The only problem is that I'm getting married in October and I have to pay for the entire wedding out of my own bank account. I've got a decent chunk of the amount saved, but putting this top on will put a big dent in the savings.

I'm going to see if there's a way I can seal the crack without making the car look ghetto. Someone earlier mentioned silicone.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #16

I have cracked my window too! Has anybody got experience with the tops on ebay? They go for $400 for a top w/ plastic window but I'm not sure if there are any differences between that and the factory top?
Also, has anybody tried to install the top on their own after buying it? I figure it can't be too hard and that's probably what I'd like to do to save $400 in labor!!
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #17

Cabrioworld has new GAHH tops w/ glass window for $499. That price is for indigo blue only. Thats the color mine has on it now. So I bought one. I get it on Friday. Can't wait. Every shop that I have talked to says 8-10 hours labor. I don't think it's something I would like to try to tackle on my own. Especialy since you have no guarantee that it's giong to be done correctly. Thats just my opinion though. I found a good shop that will install it for $650. To me it's worth it.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #18

thats a lot of money. it shouldn't take more than 4 hours. We get $410. labor here!!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #19

Okay, so here's what I did:

My fiance found some plastic/vinyl glue at Lowe's made by Loc-tite, and I glued the window together. Now before you start flaming poor Chills let me explain.

The crack is about 4 inches long and right along the fabric. I took a toothpick and used it to apply small amounts of glue along the inside of the crack and then put a small layer on top of the crack. I did two applications just to make sure, letting it dry and set a day between applications.

Amazingly enough it worked. The glue is holding. I washed the car on Tuesday and the crack didn't leak. It was so nice later that day that I put the top down, and the glue held. It didn't crack.

From the outside you can't see it unless you are looking for it, so it doesn't look trashy at all. Now mind you, this is a temporary fix. I will still get a new top with a glass window, but for now I can still drive around and not worry about the crack.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
thats a lot of money. it shouldn't take more than 4 hours. We get $410. labor here!!!!!
Wow I wish I lived in NJ. Well, not really, but for installtion sake.

EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window