Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

Anyone ever hear of a double engine failure?

I knew about the early model engine problems, and my new-to-me '98 had the motor replaced at 24k by porsche (got the paperwork showing all the details) in 2001.

Has anyone ever heard of a replaced motor going bad with the same catastrophic failure that the original engines had? I would think they would have had it sorted out in the 4 years before the new engine went in mine....

kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #2

Hi,

Unfortunately, yes I have heard of double engine failure. And no, they haven't worked the bugs out at all despite some people's wishes to the contrary. There have been failures to the new 987 and Cayman S engines for the same old reasons. A lot of people don't want to admit this, but what are ya gonna do...?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Smile

To be complete, the old 98 failures were due to a bad engine block casting that they tried to 'fix' as opposed to trashing them. Needless to say, that did NOT work.

The later failures that I am aware of are caused by IMS shaft failures, a different design flaw. My neighbors 04 tanked due to this issue at 12K miles. The replacement engine has been fine for 5K miles so far.

Well, either way, the engine craters but the reason would be different.

We have no way of knowing how frequently these newer engine failures ocurr but it does happen.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Had a Chevy El Camino once and the cams went flat after 12000 mi. They put in a new motor... cams went flat after another 15000 mi. Sometimes they just screw up. Thank goodness for factory warranties.