Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Powerplant options and what not

Hi folks. I'm new here, so a formal hello to everyone. I have an 02 Boxster S with 70k on the clock. I purchased it from Porsche Lease where it was previously owned by a Pharm rep and thus the large amount of highway miles. No winters on the car and it drives great, very healthy currently.

In any case, I purchased the car with its known high(er) miles since I've been looking for a Boxster to do a 3.4 or 3.6 swap with ( I have access to a 3.4 with less than 20k on it), and the opportunity to start with a factory S was very attractive due to the 6-speed, larger brakes, etc. However, now that I've started looking at options, it would appear that FabSpeed claims 345HP from an S using their full exhaust with high flow catted headers, intake, and new DME software. If that is really the case, I would be very happy with 345HP out of my S (with the obvious advantages of using the motor that was designed to be in the car), though now we're doing that on a higher mileage motor. Part of me wants to assume that since it has made it this far without RMS issues or blowing up, etc that it wil be healthy for a while still, the other part of me says that it may be due for thigns like an Oil Seperator in the sooner than later future.

So, this leads to ask the viability of either leaving the motor in the car and just driving it with scheduled maintenance, pulling the factory 3.2 and freshening it sooner than later so I can stop worrying about it, simply putting a lower mileage 3.2 into it, or going ahead with my 3.4 or 3.6 swap. Either way, I'm rather inclined to do something before the current powerplant decides to scatter itself to all four corners of the earth.

Thoughts please? And thank you.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Hi folks. I'm new here, so a formal hello to everyone. I have an 02 Boxster S with 70k on the clock. I purchased it from Porsche Lease where it was previously owned by a Pharm rep and thus the large amount of highway miles. No winters on the car and it drives great, very healthy currently.

In any case, I purchased the car with its known high(er) miles since I've been looking for a Boxster to do a 3.4 or 3.6 swap with ( I have access to a 3.4 with less than 20k on it), and the opportunity to start with a factory S was very attractive due to the 6-speed, larger brakes, etc. However, now that I've started looking at options, it would appear that FabSpeed claims 345HP from an S using their full exhaust with high flow catted headers, intake, and new DME software. If that is really the case, I would be very happy with 345HP out of my S (with the obvious advantages of using the motor that was designed to be in the car), though now we're doing that on a higher mileage motor. Part of me wants to assume that since it has made it this far without RMS issues or blowing up, etc that it wil be healthy for a while still, the other part of me says that it may be due for thigns like an Oil Seperator in the sooner than later future.

So, this leads to ask the viability of either leaving the motor in the car and just driving it with scheduled maintenance, pulling the factory 3.2 and freshening it sooner than later so I can stop worrying about it, simply putting a lower mileage 3.2 into it, or going ahead with my 3.4 or 3.6 swap. Either way, I'm rather inclined to do something before the current powerplant decides to scatter itself to all four corners of the earth.

Thoughts please? And thank you.

Patrick
It seems to me that you've got pretty low expectations of the engine if you think self destruction is imminent at only 70,000 miles. If it's healthy, you should be able to at least double that before it needs to be cracked open.

70k miles is just a bit over average mileage for the age of your car and there's nothing more gentle on an engine than highway miles.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-14-2007 at 08:55 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

Blue-

I'm by no means saying I'm worried about the factory 3.2 blowing up anytime soon, I'm more planning for a long term battle plan. I have access to a factory 3.4 currently, and the price is right, so I'm just debating if I should pick it up while I can or not.

After looking into the FabSpeed exhaust and DME software, I'm VERY interested.

One would certainly hope that a well maintained Porsche motor like this go at least 120K.

Patrick
Old 01-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Except for the DME programming, all of the parts from Fabspeed would work on any of the motor options you are looking at. If it were me, I'd take care of the intake and exhaust, enjoy that for a while, then swap the motor when the 3.2 is really looking tired.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
boggtown

For 25K for can have a brand new Carerra S 3.8 installed. For 10-15K you should be able to get a 3.4 or 3.6 depending. For 8K you could supercharge it. For 2-3K you could do the header/exhaust stuff. Dont bother with the exhaust stuff if your wanting lots of power later on and will go for the engine swap, Itd be a waste. I bet a member who has done a swap will tell you the best option due to their experience.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ bmwm750,

Does your Boxster happen to be black on the outside and black on the inside?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #7

Black on black? Nope, mine is silver on black. As far as things go, I will likely end up with the FabSpeed stuff on here in the near future, and then once the 3.2 gets tired re-evaluate. Have a temping 3.4 locally that is the right price now, but the more I think on it they will likely only get cheaper as time goes on.

My only real concern is that it would be far wiser to either yank out the 3.2 and sell it for what its worth or to freshen it while it was stiill running than deal with things after the 3.2 blew up. On the plan I'm looking at now that would be somewhere right around 100k most likely, so as long as the 3.2 can last tiil then life should be ok

Patrick
Old 01-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #8

While I haven't heard of FabSpeed before, It would be quite impressive to get nearly 100 more hp without a displacement or compression change. DME change.. ok.. Headers and intake I could see getting some HP. DME reprogram sure (but, now, what kind of fuel will be require - 94? 98? octane? )

While the "S" motor may have been slightly compromised due to not wanting to hurt 911 sales of the same year that were rated at 296hp, but seriously, do you think the Porsche engineers left 100 "easy hp" on the table?

Perhaps a bit apples to orange, but "old school" 911 race motors of 3.2 liter, twin plug, high compression, headers etc. motors hardly put out 320-330hp, on race gas.

A 70K miles "S" motor is hardly in need of repair, unless you have tested for compression/leakdown or the thing burns oil at an alarming rate.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
boggtown

Ive always wondered. How much horsepower could one get from a custom intake manifold. I know the X51 option gives a lot of horsepower, what could one expect from a 2.5, 2.7, 3.2?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

FabSpeed produce some of the nicest aftermarket equipment around. Fantastic engineering and amazing production quality.

However, I too, find it hard to believe that Porsche left 100 "easy" HP out of the factory motor. Detuned by 40 or 50 HP? Sure. Its a common fact that getting rid of restrictive OE emission control equipment can make power. Also makes perfect sense that a good tuner can squeeze a few more HP out of a motor by only assuming 93 (or higher, in the case of race chips) octane fuel, and not being held liable for certifiying the car OBD-II and emission compliant for 100k. Either way, an extra 100HP sounds far too good to be true.

Patrick
Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #11

theres no way you will get upto 345 with tuning, headers and intake. That is fantasy land. Maybe 300.

Patrick,
I have just put in a 3.4 into my 2000 Box. It runs great, and with headers, intake and tuning should be around 315-320 at the flywheel. I will dyno soon to get the real RWHP numbers.

But for a 2002 boxster, your electronics will work with a 3.6, I would do that, because you get quite a bit more torque out of the 3.6. But the 3.4 rocks too.

Do the swap and dont look back. If you have a line on a motor now, and have the $$ to do it, why wait??? (said with the little devil on my shoulder)
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
FabSpeed produce some of the nicest aftermarket equipment around. Fantastic engineering and amazing production quality.

However, I too, find it hard to believe that Porsche left 100 "easy" HP out of the factory motor. Detuned by 40 or 50 HP? Sure. Its a common fact that getting rid of restrictive OE emission control equipment can make power. Also makes perfect sense that a good tuner can squeeze a few more HP out of a motor by only assuming 93 (or higher, in the case of race chips) octane fuel, and not being held liable for certifiying the car OBD-II and emission compliant for 100k. Either way, an extra 100HP sounds far too good to be true.

Patrick
I had FAB Speed exhaust on my 996 TT and the exhaust welds cracked. It was less then 1 year old and I had the local porsche dealer weld it back but the sound was different. Also the dreaded Check engine light!
I also heard that FAB speed exhaust are made in China. If you read other P forums you will see a lot of people complain about the drone noise.

Right now I have GHL exhaust installed on my 00 Boxster S and I am very happy. No problems and the sound is very cool....high wailing..closest to a 355 Ferrari spider with Tubi and GHL is only $1800 and change.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Fabspeed, hmmmmmmmm. Aren't those the same guys who were selling waterfront property in New Orleans last year???

If you want big sound... change the pipes. If you want big HP... add a blower or add displacement. IMHO

Last edited by Topless; 01-20-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #14

Details

I am interested in the same swap. I bought a 2002 996 3.6L with 28k miles, yesterday and I have a 2002 Boxster S to put it in. I want to do the work myself and have most of the equipment to pull the engine but is there a link or website that does a good job of detailing the swap. I have many years of Fab and Auto tech experience. Things I need to know is can I use the Boxster engine harness and ECM? Also what other necessary mods to make it work….
m2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #15

I would drive the car for a bit and if you are happy keep it that way. Since you have an 02 I would keep an eye out for a 3.6 since the 3.4 does not add much more then you can then with a few bolt on mods. The 3.6 X51 or 3.8 (x51 or no X51) is what you should keep an eye out for and just plan to do it if you find one. Myself I have to do the new DME and harness on my 2000 to get a 3.6 in but to me it is worth it, it is all about what you want. I personally wanted more power and did not like any other car I looked at including the C6 Z06. My Boxster is paid off and for me it makes sense but to each their own.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2speed
I am interested in the same swap. I bought a 2002 996 3.6L with 28k miles, yesterday and I have a 2002 Boxster S to put it in. I want to do the work myself and have most of the equipment to pull the engine but is there a link or website that does a good job of detailing the swap. I have many years of Fab and Auto tech experience. Things I need to know is can I use the Boxster engine harness and ECM? Also what other necessary mods to make it work….

Yes you can use the harness you just need the wiring diagram to make it work. Good luck with the conversion. Will you be doing any mods to the motor while it is out (i.e. X51 head work or cams)? I most defiantly would do a lightweight fly wheel and stay away from the intermediate shaft bolt. My porsche mech says that over tightening is the main cause for failure.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
I would drive the car for a bit and if you are happy keep it that way. Since you have an 02 I would keep an eye out for a 3.6 since the 3.4 does not add much more then you can then with a few bolt on mods. The 3.6 X51 or 3.8 (x51 or no X51) is what you should keep an eye out for and just plan to do it if you find one. Myself I have to do the new DME and harness on my 2000 to get a 3.6 in but to me it is worth it, it is all about what you want. I personally wanted more power and did not like any other car I looked at including the C6 Z06. My Boxster is paid off and for me it makes sense but to each their own.
On a 2002 you still need the newer Motronic 7.8 DME to run the VarioCam Plus in the 3.6 as the 02 has 7.2. This is easier than swapping in a 7.8 DME into a 5.2 (97-99) car.

Patrick
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Yes you can use the harness you just need the wiring diagram to make it work. Good luck with the conversion. Will you be doing any mods to the motor while it is out (i.e. X51 head work or cams)? I most defiantly would do a lightweight fly wheel and stay away from the intermediate shaft bolt. My porsche mech says that over tightening is the main cause for failure.
Well that’s good news, the car the engine came out of the harness was already sold along with processor. So the harness was going to run $1K new. If this swap needs a 7.8 DME are you sure the harness will work with small mods. That was my background before, engine driveability and electronics.

Can anyone point me to the info needed to modify the harness and to by a DME?

I would also like to do some internal engine mods like the X51 since its already out.

m2speed is offline   Reply With Quote