Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #1

Header installation - Need Help!

Hi,
I finally found the time to start my installation of my aftermarket headers. (See pics) Since my previous thread was lost during the computer blip a couple weeks ago I am starting another thread. I hope that's ok?

Anyway, so far I have been able to take out the driver's side header, but not without some bumps along the way. The first was when one of the head bolts snapped, but I bought a tool this morning to remove it (re: I have yet to try it). BTW, I just added the picture below (12/19).

The second bump was when one of the cat bolts snapped in half as well (Please see picture - sorry it's blurry. I took the pictures with my phone camera). So far, I am stumped. Are these bolts permanently on the stock cat part? It doesn't seem to want to come off. (See picture)

Please help. Thanks in advance.

DC

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-19-2006 at 10:13 AM.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #2

I forgot to mention....

BTW, I forgot to mention that the attached picture of broken parts are those of a socket (definitely a cheap one) that broke with the cat bolt. I do recall PorscheDoc mentioning in my previous lost thread that these bolts have a tendency to break....and sure enough that's what happened to me when I applied too much force! I was too excited...I learned very quickly to take my time. Also, I just wanted to thank PorscheDoc for suggesting PB Blaster! This stuff has definitely been worth purchasing!!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #3

The bolts holding my cats to my headers (or vise versa) were nuts and bolts and loose (not welded to the cats). Because of the intense heat, they do get brittle. Hitting them with some bolt loosening stuff and letting it sit a half hour ain't a bad move.

The passenger side header is a lot more work than the driver's side. You have to remove the cross-brace to get to it.

The size difference between stock and aftermarket is huge, huh? That's what gives you the power increase that makes you feel like you are using 109 octane or something along those lines. My 2.5 feels a lot faster with my aftermarket headers and exhaust on it. I have a little more power and its a lot louder. The combo is simply amazing with the top down, especially when you go under a freeway overpass!

Oh yeah, be sure to zip tie off the AC line on the driver's side to move it away from the new header, and then wrap it with high temp foil tape or exhaust wrap to keep it from melting.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #4

Hi,
I found that I had to remove both driver's side and passenger's side diagonal braces as well as the rear reinforcement plate to get more elbow room. Those were a bit of a pain too (I have managed to use 9, 13, 14, and 15 mm sockets so far). I also managed to break one of the smaller bolts that simultaneously attaches to the diagonal brace and the black plastic rock guard. (NOTE: I added a blurry picture on 2/1/07 to demonstrate the diagonal braces and plastic shielding that should be removed prior to DIY install. This picture was taken from the Bentley Porsche Boxster Svc Manual 1997-2004, p. 03-17)

I know I will have some work to do on the other side as well. I have the same issue there with one head and one cat bolt broken. I am on my last bolt on the cat side. I don't know how to get to it though. There's not enough room for a socket and I tried an open ended angle wrench that won't fit either...just not enough clearance. I guess I may try to pull it down a bit once the header is off to try to get a socket and ratchet to fit.

Yes, thanks for the advice. I do recall your suggestion from my previous lost thread. I do appreciate all your input that's for sure. It always helps when more knowledgeable people out there are willing to help out.

I will spray more of that PB stuff and be more patient....even though it's really difficult to be patient Thanks!

Last edited by dcporsche99; 02-01-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #5

"The size difference between stock and aftermarket is huge, huh? That's what gives you the power increase that makes you feel like you are using 109 octane or something along those lines. My 2.5 feels a lot faster with my aftermarket headers and exhaust on it. I have a little more power and its a lot louder. The combo is simply amazing with the top down, especially when you go under a freeway overpass!"

All the more...I cannot wait to get these on and get going! I did have moments when I recalled you saying that I could have had it installed by a local muffler shop...especially when the bolts broke (LOL)

I have a 2.5 too (a 1999 Tip). I bought it last fall - Black with rust/red interior and hardtop. Since then, especially after reading many of the posts on the forum, I have been inspired (though I keep holding myself back) to add faux burlwood interior dash, staggered 18" BSA rims with Falken tires, replaced my discolored headlight assemblies (but still maintained the amber--haven't crossed over to the other side yet...though maybe next year), replaced a cracked amber sidelamp, front and rear anodized strut braces from one of our sponsors (****************************************), headers, and soon to be put on cross-drilled and slotted Zimmerman rotors....etc...too much to do!

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-21-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ dcporsche99
What brand headers are those?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #7

I didnt read all the replys but my suggestion is HEAT and vise grip pliers. The one pic is a stud and you need heat and it will come right out.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #8

"What brand headers are those?"

Hi,
Definitely ones that I would NOT RECOMMEND!!!!! I bought it off of Ebay for a ridiculously low price. It is one of the ones that have NO NAME just NUMBERS and I have come to understand why. Anyway, this guy basically takes your cash and leaves you out to dry....never returns any correspondences...just doesn't care.

Always goes back to the 'ol saying, "you get what you pay for".

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-15-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #9

"I didnt read all the replys but my suggestion is HEAT and vise grip pliers. The one pic is a stud and you need heat and it will come right out."

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I still have no luck with taking out the "stud" on the cat side. I am still spraying it like mad. Also, this tool that I purchased to deal with the "stud" in the head portion...I don't have enough leverage to drill this bit into it. I'm not making any headway with this contraption called "DRILL OUT".

Anyway, I'll have to get to the store tomorrow and look for a small propane torch to deal with these issues.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
"I didnt read all the replys but my suggestion is HEAT and vise grip pliers. The one pic is a stud and you need heat and it will come right out."

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I still have no luck with taking out the "stud" on the cat side. I am still spraying it like mad. Also, this tool that I purchased to deal with the "stud" in the head portion...I don't have enough leverage to drill this bit into it. I'm not making any headway with this contraption called "DRILL OUT".

Anyway, I'll have to get to the store tomorrow and look for a small propane torch to deal with these issues.
Make sure there's no flammable chemicals left on the parts under there before you take a torch to it!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
"What brand headers are those?"

Hi,
Definitely ones that I would NOT RECOMMEND!!!!! I bought it off of Ebay for a ridiculously low price. It is one of the ones that have NO NAME just NUMBERS and I have come to understand why. Anyway, this guy basically takes your cash and leaves out out to dry....never returns any correspondences...just doesn't care.

Always goes back to the 'ol saying, "you get what you pay for".
Does the seller's user I.D. happen to be a2rinc based out of Addison, Texas?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #12

"Make sure there's no flammable chemicals left on the parts under there before you take a torch to it!"

Thanks for the word of caution! You read my mind.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
boggtown

A2rinc sells a good cheap short shift though, I will give him that.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #14

"Does the seller's user I.D. happen to be a2rinc based out of Addison, Texas?"

No, it's the other guy also in the area.....you may have better luck with a2rinc. Unfortunately, when I was trying to decide I did not see their headers for sale at that time....too bad

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-15-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #15

"Oh yeah, be sure to zip tie off the AC line on the driver's side to move it away from the new header, and then wrap it with high temp foil tape or exhaust wrap to keep it from melting."

Hi Randall,
I was able to get the header on despite the "studs" issue. I just wanted to see what it would look like. Here's a glimpse. (re: again, sorry for the poor resolution ---I will make sure to get better pictures later). But, from my view it looks pretty hot!!

Anyway, my question to you is - where and to what do I zip tie the AC line to? Right now it is actually sitting on top of the header...defintely can't keep it where it is.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
A2rinc sells a good cheap short shift though, I will give him that.
I have the short shift kit and I wouldn't be so gun happy to say he sells good products. Yes the material is good and works,but it doesn't come with instructions, or contact number for support and they install completely unneccasary parts that confused the **************** out of me today when I was installing mine(maybe it's just me).
Old 12-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
boggtown

What was unneccesary? Did you make sure to rotate the shift lever so it bends the correct way? I didnt need instructions anyway, didnt bother me. My shifter was great.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #18

"A2rinc sells a good cheap short shift though, I will give him that".

Hi,
Sorry, I'm not familiar with their products. Maybe I'll have to take a closer look the next time I'm on the Bay.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #19

OK, still working on the last nut on the cat side--this time on the passenger's side. It's located at the tip /top. (see picture from driver's side cat "stud" that broke---same one, but on the other side). I don't want to have to take down the entire side from the cat back. Any more knowledgeable guys out there have any suggestions or know of any trick(s) to get to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
What was unneccesary? Did you make sure to rotate the shift lever so it bends the correct way? I didnt need instructions anyway, didnt bother me. My shifter was great.
The second set of nut/screw are unneccesary,I thought about it for a long and then looked at the B & M instructions,theirs doesn't use it because it's useless. I just finished installing my shifter and I love the feel,not too far from stock but shorter. I'm pleased! Now to take it out for a spin!