Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #61

Hey Randall,

Thanks for the reply. My box just hit 60K. So, I know I have to do the 60K maintainence. Since it's not my daily driver I figure I would just do that in the Spring.

Anyway, what do you think if I just went ahead and ordered the sensors, changed them, and then, reset the CEL. If the lights goes on again, then I might try changing the MAF? Since I don't have an Ohm meter available right now to see if the readings from the sensors are within range, I think I would rather just go ahead and switch them out.

BTW, the MAF is in the compartment behind the seats? Is this correct? Or is it accessible from underneath the car? I have a hardtop on and it's a PITA to remove....that's why I'm asking. I read that to troubleshoot the MAF, I would have to remove it and see if the car runs better. And if it does, then the MAF is the culprit. Did I understand this right?

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #62

Ah, 60k... lots of boxster owners start having problems with sensors at this mileage it seems.

If you replace the O2 sensors (all four), it might solve your CE problem. They may not need it yet, but will need it before the car hits 75k miles most probably. This will cost you about $450 and an hour of your time change them out yourself from under the car (I did it and if I can do this, ANYONE can).

When I did mine it was like I got an instant tune up. Purrs like a kitten at idle, gave me better acceleration and fuel economy, and my bald spot disappeared. OOOPS. Went just a little too far there... I'm still balding.

The MAF is located just after the air filter, which is located directly above the intake hole on the driver's side of the car in the engine compartment. So yes, the hard top will have to come off, the top raised to the service position, etc.

I would not try to clean the MAF though... some have found temporary success with this, but it is still a gremlin that comes back to haunt them.

www.oxygensensors.com has a good deal on Bosch O2 sensors with the correct square plugs on them, by the way.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #63

Thanks Randall! I went ahead and bought all four including the tools. It cost me $480 and apparently with free shipping I'm sure I could have bought the tools in the local shop, but it was quick, it was easy, and they were all on the same website...so, poof! Money gone...hopefully, this takes care of the issue. Will let you know. They should be coming in the next 3-5 days.

BTW, I read about the universals and also asked my mechanic about it awhile back when I was in the shop to get my exhaust leak fixed from my headers. From what he says and from my readings, splicing universal is not a good idea unless one is electrically inclined. I am NOT so good with it and this is one place IMHO that saving a buck will cause more problems than it's worth....boy, am I learning fast!

Addition 3-6-2007 - My post-cat O2 sensor installation instructions for a 1999

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9880

Addition 3-14-07- My pre-cat O2 sensor installation for a 1999
(1) The only additional information for this install is that I purchased a 3/8" drive flex head rachet handle at CarQuest for $10.
(2) Also, I needed to remove the diagonal cross braces and the triangular aluminum pan to get to the pre-cats.
(3) Once those have been removed, I followed the same instructions as per post-cat removal (see above link). Exception: no black rubber hubs. Instead, these were a straightforward removal from a wire harness that was secured via clips. Once installed, just reattach / secure back onto clips.

After each install, reset computer via OBDII reader.

Last edited by dcporsche99; 03-14-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #64

Oh....

BTW, about the balding....it's not an issue...that is, unless it started happening after you bought your boxster and began doing mods! Then, I would start to worry...LOL.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #65

The balding began when I was in my early 20's and only dreaming about owning a Porsche! Maybe all that concentrated dreaming is what caused it!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #66

Ahhhhhhaaaa, I see.

Well, hair or no hair you're still an alright guy! I hate to mention this, but....uhm.... just don't do the "comb-over" thing....
Old 02-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #67

Don't worry. The wife would kill me before I'd be allowed to walk out of the house with that "mod!" She just takes a #2 guard on the Walmart trimmer we bought years ago and levels it all out on the back porch once a month. No style whatsoever!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #68

That's awesome! LOLLL!!!!!

BTW, for the MAF, do you have a quick link for a reasonably priced one just in case I need to order it later on? I would definitely appreciate it. It would save me from having to do another search.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #69

I don't have a good cheap source for a MAF other than my trusty factory source for Pcars, Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Their prices are really quite reasonable compared to your local stealership.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #70

No problem. That's fine. I remember those names from the Renntech forum when I did my search the other night. I forgot to write them down. Thanks! But I sure hope I won't need them! I recall Toolpants and others commenting on how quickly the price shot up from one day to the next! Pretty amazing!!

Update regarding MAF (3-26-07): just went through some of the paperwork / receipts that the previous owner provided me with.....MAF was already changed!

NOTE: SEE UPDATED INFORMATION BELOW ON O2 SENSOR INSTALLS.

Last edited by dcporsche99; 03-31-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #71

Hi,

Should have thought of making this DIY a PDF sooner. I had a good number of folks ask me for it so here it is for whomever else is interested.

Hope this helps future installs!

Enjoy!!