Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2023, 11:12 AM   #1

talk to me about case bolts ...

hi - i'm seeing some weeping from the lower case bolt directly in front of the sump, and perhaps just behind too. MIGHT be coming from the sump, but is not leaking down from ims/rms. are these bolts something that i can retorque?

thanks; i did a search that didn't give me much other than the 4 bolts that change with rms depending on 'roundness' of rms opening.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hi - i'm seeing some weeping from the lower case bolt directly in front of the sump, and perhaps just behind too. MIGHT be coming from the sump, but is not leaking down from ims/rms. are these bolts something that i can retorque?

thanks; i did a search that didn't give me much other than the 4 bolts that change with rms depending on 'roundness' of rms opening.
If you are referring to the bolts that hold the case halves together, if they are weeping at all, they should be replaced with new microencapsulated replacement bolts and then torqued to spec before moving to the next one.

A lot of M96 engines came with bolts that had no sealant on them, and over time they start to weep, even though they are correctly torqued to spec. Tightening them will not stop the problem, replacing them with the correct new bolts will. This is something we always look for when doing an IMS bearing, the RMS, or doing a new clutch.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:38 AM   #3

thanks, i was hoping you would find this thread. yes, the bolts that hold the case halves together.

presume 900.385.270.01 -> 9A700812900

looks to be 25 of them, but the bottom two (directly in front and behind sump) are the only ones acting up; ok to just do the two?
Old 06-13-2023, 12:23 PM   #4

999 385 004 01 I believe is the current part number, and there are four on each end of the engine:

Old 06-13-2023, 12:27 PM   #5

Here is a better view:

Old 06-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #6

100%; thanks very much.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:06 PM   #7

Looks like I have the same issue. Did you try replacing the bolts?

Quote:
100%; thanks very much.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #8

no. it was the sump fasteners and the oil was migrating upwards. tightened the sump fasteners and leak went away. sump fastener torque now added to my routine maintenance checklist.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:23 PM   #9

Nice! I’ll have to check that out. Getting ready to do a marathon of service under there…gear oil, spark plugs, tubes, coil packs, rear brake pads, new underbody panels. Aka the while you are in there list haha ��

Quote:
no. it was the sump fasteners and the oil was migrating upwards. tightened the sump fasteners and leak went away. sump fastener torque now added to my routine maintenance checklist.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"

Last edited by Danimal; 09-14-2023 at 06:54 PM.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote