Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #1

6 speed to 5 speed swap?

Before you yell at me at least hear me out.

Short version, my friend had a 54k mile base boxster get totalled by someone that pulled out in front of him. I bought it cheap from the insurance.

It took forever but I finally found a car without drivetrain, but it was an boxster S.

Because the base had 54k I figured I'd swap everything from it due to the low mileage (the S car has 122k).

Now it's looking like swapping the 5 speed in isn't going to work out as well as I had hoped.

I already swapped the shifter, cables, mounts, was in the middle of swapping slaves when I read that the axles and uprights are different.

At this point I want to make sure I can actually complete this swap or if I have to pull it all back apart and swap the actual 6 speed in?

I do have a six speed, and in theory it should be fine at 122k, but I knew the 5 speed was good to go, plus I'm missing the 6 speed axles which isn't a deal breaker, but just adds up sorta thing.

Anyways, that's why I was doing it, but if it can't be done or will be a massive hassle requiring swapping out half the car then I'll put the 6 speed in.

Thanks, and please don't yell at me. My friend claimed he looked into this and couldn't find anything definitive (even though I think I already found some of the answers myself, but that's neither here nor there)...

Fish1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:54 AM   #2

Just use the axles and uprights from the 5 speed and you're good to go. There's nothing different between a base and S when it comes to the body shell. Everything should switch over
Old 07-18-2022, 04:56 AM   #3

you'll need to use the base rear brakes too. definitely use the front S brakes if you have them.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:57 AM   #4

I'd also keep the S third radiator and coolant lines going to the back too
Old 07-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
you'll need to use the base rear brakes too. definitely use the front S brakes if you have them.
So swapping the rear brakes from the base model won't bother anything?

I have the complete parts car and it was hit in the front so I have the rear uprights and brakes, etc.

I planned to keep the third radiator just because leaving it is less work.
Fish1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #6

Garage
3.2 has longer axles and stub axles. also larger cv joints in diameter. The brakes are different but also the same, as in the piston sizes are the same. The 3.2 rear hubs pushes the calipers further from the center allowing for the 299mm disc as opposed to the base 292mm disc. Also the S disk is 2mm wider. The fronts just use what you have. But the rear if you have a 5 speed than the cheapest option is base hubs, rear brakes and drive shafts, that's not to say the 3.2 calipers will not fit the base hub/disc but you need to shim the pads but 1mm either side to account for the narrower disc.

feedback is offline   Reply With Quote