Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 05:28 AM   #1

Brake light help!

I'm a week away from Hyperfest and am struggling to get the brake lights working with the limited time I have. The electronics are pretty hacked up so I'm going to wire my own circuit but I can't access the brake light switch without removing the seat (the roll cage is in the way). Does anyone know where I can access the brake switch signal cable in a more accessible location?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:31 AM   #2

If anyone has a wiring diagram they could post that would be even better!
Old 05-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
If anyone has a wiring diagram they could post that would be even better!
Note: 1997 manual transmission model.
I can post/email it tonight if no one gets it before then.

As for the build contest; Clearly biased for air cooled 911s and concours over race.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #4

Garage
It's a Black/Orange wire all the way from the pedal switch to the lights. If you still have the X2/1 Black 21 pin connector on the left side firewall of the trunk it passes through at pin (20).

Old 05-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It's a Black/Orange wire all the way from the pedal switch to the lights. If you still have the X2/1 Black 21 pin connector on the left side firewall of the trunk it passes through at pin (20).

You are the man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Where are you getting these diagrams?
Old 05-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
... Where are you getting these diagrams?
A few years ago I was very fortunate to find a set of the factory workshop manuals locally on Craigslist. Occasionally they come up on eBay for around $1,500.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

wow, I'll keep an eye out for that on Ebay. Definitely worth it. So it appears the switch isn't receiving power. Do you know where it is powered from?
Old 05-12-2022, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
A few years ago I was very fortunate to find a set of the factory workshop manuals locally on Craigslist. Occasionally they come up on eBay for around $1,500.

If you know how to use torrents, you can get the full set of all fsms published by porsche up until the 986 series for $Free.99 (I didn't tell you that though)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
If you know how to use torrents
Hello Ike, pardon my ignorance but what are 'torrents'..?
Regards!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello Ike, pardon my ignorance but what are 'torrents'..?

Regards!
Torrents are form sharing files using decentralized trackers. It works like this....

A file has an associated torrent file that has been created and published on the web (thepiratebay.org is the very best one)

You download torrent file and open with a torrent client program (uTorrent or BitTorrent are 2 examples)

The client program then connects you with other people sharing that file (hosts) for you to download.

Sounds a lot like napster, right?

Here's the beauty of it though - you never actually download the file itself. No one actually shares the file itself. The torrent file acts as a "map" to know how to request blocks of binary code from the hosts, and then in turn assemble those blocks of binary into a working file on your computer.

The legal ramifications and consequences of such activities are hotly debated, suffice it to say that since you are not actually downloading the copyrighted data directly, no one can demonstrate what you have actually done. It is SO effective at this that ISPs actually have gone through numerous generations of attempts at stopping this type of activity and they have all failed. Several ISPs were successfully sued by people engaged in torrent trafficking because the ISPs knew what they were doing and throttled their bandwidth (essentially cut them down to dial up speeds as "punishment" since they had no other form of recourse) but the ISPs couldn't prove anything and the denial of service was deemed illegal. Hah! That decision was then later actually confirmed by Congress who passed a bill that outlawed such practices - not because they support copyright infringement, but because this is America and if you can't prove I did it then you've got the wrong guy

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Torrents are form sharing files using decentralized trackers. It works like this....
Ike, thank you very much for the detailed explanation :-)

It seems that as long as you have a fast enough internet connection you could access the information you require on as needed basis. This clearly shows how much I don't know about current technology.. thanks again!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
wow, I'll keep an eye out for that on Ebay. Definitely worth it. So it appears the switch isn't receiving power. Do you know where it is powered from?
I just noticed your question. Fuse B7 with a black wire. The circuit for that also ties to the Cruise Control unit, but should still operate without cruise unless you cut the harness back too far.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:07 AM   #13
PLP

If I can revisit here...

78F350 posted a diagram.
It shows 3 wires.

Now, from what I gather, and based from my testing of the switch, positions 2 and 3 are grounds and are bridged. Position 4 is for brake lights.
Then, position 1 would be for cruise control.

Am I right?

If so, where does the #1 lead to?

I am trying to understand my intermittently working, or not working, CC.

I checked the switch and it works OK. I opened it up. It looks nice and all contacts are OK.

Where to look for?

Symptoms.
Before start the green light shows up. Once started it maybe still on (if the CC switch was activated) and the CC will work as designed.
However, there are days when it would not be lit after start. I cannot activate it at all.

One more place to check is the clutch switch.

But then, even if the clutch or brake switch were faulty, I would still be able to see the CC light and turn it on or off, right? I would not be able to activate speed control, though.
Yet, it seems like it is not there on days....

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote