Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

FVD Deep sump - Improvements?

Hello all, I was looking at the FVD deep sump, but one thing about the design doesn't make sense to me, maybe you guys will know why they put the oil windows up so high? It seems like it would block most of the extra oil from actually making it to the pickup?

I was thinking that an improvement to this pan might be to take a Dremel and extend the oil windows closer to the bottom of the pan. The flap on the inside goes low enough this is possible.

Thoughts?

regards,

Silber

Attached Images

Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #2

The object is to keep a well full of oil surrounding the pickup during cornering loads; people build similar "wells" around the fuel pickup in the tank for the same reason. Extending the openings would defeat this.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-28-2021 at 02:14 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #3

doesn't do much if anything.

Take a look at the rennlist 996 forum for some exciting developments under the ultimate deep sump thread.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Take a look at the rennlist 996 forum for some exciting developments under the ultimate deep sump thread.
Thanks for posting that. I just took a look at the Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump and Ultimate AOS threads. Interesting stuff!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #5

Garage
You may also take a look at Hartec:s deep sump, makes sense from an engineering perspective and is race-proven. Thats the one I use.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Can you post a link to this??? Could not get to it!!
Old 12-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #7

.....the oil will collect in the sum pan inside the baffle around the pick up.... on the outside it will flow in through the flaps when the level goes down in there

Do not enlarge the openings
Old 12-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Can you post a link to this??? Could not get to it!!
Here's the link - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1260027-ultimate-integrated-dry-sump-uids-v2-2-a.html

Robert986 that Hartech sump looks cool too. I found it in their post on Facebook, it looks like for now they are only making it in limited numbers for racing teams, you're lucky to have one!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 12-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Here's the link - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1260027-ultimate-integrated-dry-sump-uids-v2-2-a.html

Robert986 that Hartech sump looks cool too. I found it in their post on Facebook, it looks like for now they are only making it in limited numbers for racing teams, you're lucky to have one!
Thanks Paul, I believe they are made in larger numbers now, let me know if you need help to get your hands on one.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Thanks Paul, I believe they are made in larger numbers now, let me know if you need help to get your hands on one.
Thanks Robert, I have the Manis Sport deep sump, I'm going to stick with that since I'm on street tires on the track and not that fast!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks Robert, I have the Manis Sport deep sump, I'm going to stick with that since I'm on street tires on the track and not that fast!
Paul the Mantis is pretty good in that it has a windage tray to keep a volume of oil trapped at pick up level rather than running up the walls.....a feature not found on most deep sumps back in the day anyway