Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Top wiring - connection help

Trouble shooting my convertable top wiring. Previous owner had a bunch of bypassing going on under the top latch mechanism located above the windshield. So I'm going to fix that if I can.

I have 3 wires from the Microswitch that I need to match up with 3 wires from the car. Microswitch colours are slightly different that the wires from the car.

-Microswitch has Brown/black, Brown/red and brown.
-Car has Brown/white (maybe grey), brown/blue and brown.

The reason why the harness at the microswitch does not match up with the car wire colour is due to a very nice forum member mailing me a microswitch wire harness out of the goodness of his heart. It probably came from a different year Boxster. But the concept is the same I think. I'm not complaining at all. Some real nice people are on here!

Last edited by Zzorro; 05-28-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #2

Even if someone is willing to drop the microswitch latch thing and snap a picture, that would be awesome.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #3

Found this in my manual.

So now I wonder which pin is #1,2 and 3 on the microswitch. I have the M535 CLU.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This should be enough of a clue to finish the puzzle:

Old 05-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #5

Thank Jon! Yes it helped! Again, thanks for that little harness.

Still no love from the top. With it connected as it should be I don't get anything from the dash buttons.

With the brown/blue wire connected to the microswitch (port 3) and the Brown and brown/grey wires spliced together (bypassing the microswitch altogether) the top works with the dash button. But I don't get the window drop. And I know my window drop works as I get the drop when I touch the door handles. This is how the previous owner did his bypassing.

I watched TTgator's top fix video. Great info. Troubleshooting continues.

Last edited by Zzorro; 05-30-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Thank Jon! Yes it helped! Again, thanks for that little harness.

Still no love from the top. With it connected as it should be I don't get anything from the dash buttons.

With the brown/blue wire connected to the microswitch (port 3) and the Brown and brown/grey wires spliced together (bypassing the microswitch altogether) the top works with the dash button. But I don't get the window drop. And I know my window drop works as I get the drop when I touch the door handles. This is how the previous owner did his bypassing.

I watched TTgator's top fix video. Great info. Troubleshooting continues.
Check to see if your getting the park light on the dash when you pull the E-brake.
My top stopped working and I noticed no park brake light when the E-brake was pulled.
Turned out to be a dirty micro switch at the E-brake.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Click the link. Print the pics. Take a multimeter to your car and carefully follow the steps.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126478035@N08/shares/0F71U9

Hopefully that will isolate the problem.

Or... If you have the full service manual available just look in Group 6 starting on page 61-89.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-31-2021 at 04:22 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #8

Thanks Blue62. Yep. Parking break works confirmed.

Re-soldered all the connection on the microswitch, confirmed continuity etc. Soldered the new harness to the wires and put it all back together.

So as far as I can tell, it should be working. But I don't get my window drop yet.

Again, TTgators video on this was excellent.

Troubleshooting continues. When I feel like it.