Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Oil cooler/Heat exchanger hose route

Hey guys, does anyone have a clear diagram or picture of the hose routing for the heat exchanger/oil cooler vent line? I swapped in one from a 996 and now I have no idea where to run that line?

Thanks.

DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
Hey guys, does anyone have a clear diagram or picture of the hose routing for the heat exchanger/oil cooler vent line? I swapped in one from a 996 and now I have no idea where to run that line?

Thanks.
The coolant vent hose goes from the heat exchanger to the coolant expansion tank. It is the top hose in the stack of three under the oil filler tube.

Most cars I've seen have a quick release connection in the middle of that hose, so the portion connected to the coolant tank may still be there.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The coolant vent hose goes from the heat exchanger to the coolant expansion tank. It is the top hose in the stack of three under the oil filler tube.

Most cars I've seen have a quick release connection in the middle of that hose, so the portion connected to the coolant tank may still be there.
Question:

The coolant line running into/out of the control valve (928-574-573-03-M53) for the transmission cooler. Where does that hose fit in with the coolant tank? Thank you.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #4

Thats perfect, thank you. Now I need the route the hose takes from the top of the oil cooler to that hose.
DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
Thats perfect, thank you. Now I need the route the hose takes from the top of the oil cooler to that hose.
The hose just crosses the top of the engine underneath the throttle body and connects to the area I pictured.
...Unless you have a 1997. A 1997 2.5L will require a little bit of adaptation because the original heat exchanger didn't have the purge line. Air in the system in those is purged from a tube on the front of the engine. In that case, you can plug it or install a "Y" to join the hoses.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Question:

The coolant line running into/out of the control valve (928-574-573-03-M53) for the transmission cooler. Where does that hose fit in with the coolant tank? Thank you.
The Tiptronic cooling lines both connect to metal tubes that are clamped to the lower right side of the engine. The upper one of those connects to a "T" hose at the front of the engine. The lower hose connects to the 4-way hose at the front of the engine. There is no direct line to the coolant tank.

Buy $GME. (This is not investment advice, I just like the stock.)

Old 03-26-2021, 03:24 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The Tiptronic cooling lines both connect to metal tubes that are clamped to the lower right side of the engine. The upper one of those connects to a "T" hose at the front of the engine. The lower hose connects to the 4-way hose at the front of the engine. There is no direct line to the coolant tank.

Buy $GME. (This is not investment advice, I just like the stock.)

Thank you.