Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

AOS lower hose

Does anyone know how the lower hose is being routed? It goes under the manifold but I can’t see where it comes out.

With maintenance cover off, there is no sign of the hose looking in inside the cabin.

moosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

Runs under the intake to the opposite side of the engine and ends up here:

Old 06-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Is this accessible from the engine or behind the driver seat?
Going to tackle this tonight after pulling out the AOS last night.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It crosses from one side of the engine to the other underneath the rigid section of the oil filler tube. You should be able to reach it all with the engine cover removed, but you will have to remove much of the intake plumbing to do a proper installation. Take your time and be careful with all the brittle plastic parts. This is a great time to check and replace all of your vacuum tubing as well.

Disconnecting the battery before you get in there would be a good idea. Do you have a code for your radio handy?
Old 06-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #5

Are you replacing the entire line or just the part bu the AC compressor?

If you are trying to replace the entire line with the intake in....wont happen. Been there. The only way to do it is to cut the new line in half and then splice it together with a hose & clamps. Getting the intake manifolds off with the engine in....is possible but it is going to be a lot of work, more then you might think and chances are you will need new intake gaskets & 1 or more injector seals by the time you are done.

You will also end up braking some/if not all the original vacuum lines. It happens, they are old, very thin/crappy plastic so have some vacuum hose, connectors, T's, etc.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Are you replacing the entire line or just the part bu the AC compressor?

If you are trying to replace the entire line with the intake in....wont happen. Been there. The only way to do it is to cut the new line in half and then splice it together with a hose & clamps. Getting the intake manifolds off with the engine in....is possible but it is going to be a lot of work, more then you might think and chances are you will need new intake gaskets & 1 or more injector seals by the time you are done.

You will also end up braking some/if not all the original vacuum lines. It happens, they are old, very thin/crappy plastic so have some vacuum hose, connectors, T's, etc.
It's been a while, but I don't remember the intake manifolds being *that* difficult to remove. For installing the hose I think that I manged to lift the intake a few inches without pulling it all the way off the engine. If the vacuum lines have not been replaced, they ARE brittle and should be replaced now anyway. The intake manifold seals that I have seen so far - that green rubbery kind - hold up well and can be reused.

On the other hand... if you are not comfortable doing what STL described, consider having it towed to a Porsche shop. :dance:
Old 06-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #7

Pass side is easy. Driver side...not so much. It CAN be done, but it is a big pain cause of the air box and hoses that route in & around it.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Runs under the intake to the opposite side of the engine and ends up here:

I'm t ying to wrap my head around this picture - what angle are you taking it from?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I'm t ying to wrap my head around this picture - what angle are you taking it from?

My guess is a pin hole camera. I replaced AOS and upper hose but left the lower vent hose untouched. This is after spending some time trying to figure out where hose is being routed.
There is no room to stick my hand in to disconnect the other end behind the driver seat. Removing the airbox will give some room. Can't see how to reach in from behind the seat.

Though I can change out the AOS in a short order now having done it once.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosport View Post
My guess is a pin hole camera. I replaced AOS and upper hose but left the lower vent hose untouched. This is after spending some time trying to figure out where hose is being routed.

There is no room to stick my hand in to disconnect the other end behind the driver seat. Removing the airbox will give some room. Can't see how to reach in from behind the seat.

Though I can change out the AOS in a short order now having done it once.
What's interesting here is that little connector may be rather important. It serves as a PCV, or more accurately a NCV valve. I have seen a theory that blames that little **************** being the culprit for many failed AOS - the vent fails open and floods the AOS with oil, which in turn kills the AOS. I'd like to get my hands on it to take it apart and study it, I just haven't been able to find the damn thing lol.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

It isn't mine, but I believe it was taken through the engine panel behind the seats.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:15 AM   #12

It's really just a check valve. Not that difficult to remove either.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It isn't mine, but I believe it was taken through the engine panel behind the seats.
I can barely see it from behind the driver seat after moving a wire off the clip. Best is to look in from passenger side.