Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Transmission Plug Location

Does anyone have the location to drill the hole in the aluminum pan for the transmission drain plug? I want to replace the fluid without the hassle of removing the braces and the pan but want to make sure the hole is the right location. 2000 Boxster S.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

A template published here would be a great thing for all. I have a felling that folks just eye ball where the hole should after removal.

The OCD in me wants a hole pattern datum reference such that the hole position is right on afterward
Old 12-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #3

Garage
Have a look at this thread.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/62465-transmission-gear-oil-change-made-easy-2.html
I took measurements but when I tried them on my friends boxster it was not spot on... just OK close.

Edit : sorry I didn't notice the original question was for an S...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 12-10-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarification
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #4

Top tip: loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid. That way you know you can refill the transaxle before you drain yourself into a pickle.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

I read through all the different posts I could find, got the hole saw out, measured and drilled, and then found out the spot was not right for my 2001 S model. It wasn't off to the side for the drain, but rather directly in the middle of the plate. I had to drill another hole as it was way too far off to drain properly. I'm going to assume the 2001 S and 2000 S are the same but measure if you can. I recall a measurement but I don't want to give you a bad number. I can get under my car this weekend to measure and post it here.
The fill plug wasn't where it was supposed to be (by the axle) as well. It was on the driver's side (US) back by the end of the transmission. I finally found a picture of the location reading through a Pelican sales page. Let me know if you need to measure the drain plug location.
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

Yes, please. Exact coordinates for the hole center would be most welcome (along with yr & model from which the measurements were made). Thanks in advance!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
I want to replace the fluid without the hassle of removing the braces and the pan but want to make sure the hole is the right location. 2000 Boxster S.
Alynch, removing the aluminum bracket (and braces) takes you less than ten minutes

Just remove the wheels and use jack stands to ensure that you don't have any weight on the suspension, after removing the triangle you would be able to drill a drain hole properly so next time will be a breeze..
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Alynch, removing the aluminum bracket (and braces) takes you less than ten minutes

Just remove the wheels and use jack stands to ensure that you don't have any weight on the suspension, after removing the triangle you would be able to drill a drain hole properly so next time will be a breeze..
Gilles, I was just looking for a short cut. I removed the aluminum pan and brackets before when I took out the CV axles to replace the rubber boots. I'll do as you suggest and remove them again, measure and drill a drain hole, then post a drawing with the location and dimensions.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote