Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Garage
Camshaft Deviations - Durametric Bank ID

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching my deviations for a couple of years (annually) and this year position 1 (Durametric nomenclature) was at 8.97oCRK vs 8.95oCRK a year ago. I would consider that stable, but decided to spend a bit of diag money during an oil change and brake fluid flush at the shop to see what they thought. My expectation, after reading everything I could, would be to see chewed up variocam guides on position 1. Position 2 this year was 2.98oCRK vs 2.97oCRK a year ago. Not too bad in my view. After some back and forth, the shop got similar measurements of 3oCRK and 9oCRK and I decided to go with guide replacement.

The car was finished Friday and after all the work and money ($1400 or so for the guide replacement parts + labor + a few other bits that broke) the shop reported 9oCRK and 4oCRK. However, the invoice listed what was done and it was actually bank 2. I had thought all along that position 1 correlated to bank 1 and position 2 to bank 2, but is that correct? Anyone know definitively? I have looked at the Durametric documentation and haven't been able to find any details. I spoke with the shop and they told me they worked on the bank that they measured 9oCRK on. I ran the car up to the White Mountains yesterday and back today covering 250 miles. It ran fine, no codes and when I got home, I checked with my Durametric and found position 1 at 9.2oCRK and position 2 at 4.1oCRK. I would expect a code, but nothing and would changing the pads on one side affect the other so much? I am trying not to jump to the conclusion that the wrong bank was worked on, but unless the Durametric calls bank 2 position 1, I don't have a good answer for the post wear pad measurements. For completeness, it was the bank behind the driver that was repaired.

If anyone can answer the position vs bank question it would be appreciated. Any other insights are also welcome. I have added a picture of the wear pads as well.

Cheers,

Paul.

Last edited by PaulMc; 09-28-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Fixed deviation units
PaulMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I can't answer your question about the Durametric, but here's a look at which side is bank 1
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/what-side-is-bank-1

In a 986 (mid-engine), bank 1 is the 'passenger side' (Right) of the engine. In a 996 (rear-engine) the engine is placed backwards and bank 1 is on the driver (left) side.

See the potential for error?

(Lets not talk about RHD cars)
Old 09-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMc View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been watching my deviations for a couple of years (annually) and this year position 1 (Durametric nomenclature) was at 8.97% vs 8.95% a year ago. I would consider that stable, but decided to spend a bit of diag money during an oil change and brake fluid flush at the shop to see what they thought. My expectation, after reading everything I could, would be to see chewed up variocam guides on position 1. Position 2 this year was 2.98% vs 2.97% a year ago. Not too bad in my view. After some back and forth, the shop got similar measurements of 3% and 9% and I decided to go with guide replacement.

The car was finished Friday and after all the work and money ($1400 or so for the guide replacement parts + labor + a few other bits that broke) the shop reported 9% and 4%. However, the invoice listed what was done and it was actually bank 2. I had thought all along that position 1 correlated to bank 1 and position 2 to bank 2, but is that correct? Anyone know definitively? I have looked at the Durametric documentation and haven't been able to find any details. I spoke with the shop and they told me they worked on the bank that they measured 9% on. I ran the car up to the White Mountains yesterday and back today covering 250 miles. It ran fine, no codes and when I got home, I checked with my Durametric and found position 1 at 9.2% and position 2 at 4.1%. I would expect a code, but nothing and would changing the pads on one side affect the other so much? I am trying not to jump to the conclusion that the wrong bank was worked on, but unless the Durametric calls bank 2 position 1, I don't have a good answer for the post wear pad measurements. For completeness, it was the bank behind the driver that was repaired.

If anyone can answer the position vs bank question it would be appreciated. Any other insights are also welcome. I have added a picture of the wear pads as well.

Cheers,

Paul.
You could test the Durametric to find out.
Hook up the Durametric and go to activations.
With engine cover off and key on-engine off. Activate the Variocam solenoid for position one. You should be able to hear the solenoid click. Or place your hand on it and feel it. Then you will know which side the Durametric is calling position one.
Let us know what happens.
I would like to know if I been reading my Durametric wrong as well
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the input. I heard back from Durametric and they told me that they just read the data and I need to consult a manual. I will try the actuation next time I have the cover off. For now, I am going to drive and see if I get a code. I can certainly see where the 986 and 996 could be confused

Cheers,

Paul.

PaulMc is offline   Reply With Quote