Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

987 Rear Spoiler won’t operate ?

All of a sudden the dash switch won’t raise the rear spoiler, and the LED does not come on.
The only thing I had done to the car was replacement a convertible top (lift arms) Part on each side.
Is the spoiler on a Seperate fuse ? Where should I start to trouble shoot ?

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #2

Garage
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Thanks for that. The 986 system was easier to diagnose, the 987 is a little deeper.
I still did too a 75mph drive to test the automatic feature.
Right now, I lost the in-dash with feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

Garage
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
How hard is it to pull that section of the center console to check the connection ?
Old 09-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

After the console rear spoiler switch stopped working the 12v cig lighter power outlet in the passenger well stopped working.
Are these operating on the same circuit ?

Anyone had experience with the wiring to the cig outlet in the passenger well ?I'm thinking its related to that spoiler switch....?

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 09-07-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #7

Replaced the Two 13v outlet fuses; no effect on the spoiler switch. is there a test I can do in the trunk ? It's a 2006 987
Old 01-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
Replaced the Two 13v outlet fuses; no effect on the spoiler switch. is there a test I can do in the trunk ? It's a 2006 987
Hi Jim, any update with the spoiler switch issue. Did you solved it?
I have the same problem in my boxster 07.
The spoiler Led doesnt turn on and the spoiler is inop.
I Check my fuses and the only one broken was the cigarette one.

Thank you.
Rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Pull the spoiler switch and jump it. That should reveal if it's a simple switch replacement. God luck!
Old 04-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #10

Update

Ok; finally took the 987 to my Indy for a PWIS test. He could operate the spoiler with the pwis.
Next question is how can I test that switch ? And what would that switch cost ?
And, how is that switch removed for testing ?
@Rod86

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 04-05-2022 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-05-2022, 04:48 AM   #11

You'll need to check the switch with an ohm meter. There would be tutorials on YT.

To get to the wires (and to replace the switch), you'll need to tear the center console and shifter area apart to get to this section of the console. Be careful - there are lots of delicate arms that snap into place. Break one and that particular piece may be rendered useless. A set of trim remover tools comes in handy. There's prob an article on Pelican Parts about how to remove the pieces of your console or there may be a YT vid. Many parts will have to be removed before you can get to that section. Once you have that section out, you can check the switch with the ohm meter and replace it if necessary. It just snaps in / out.

A bit of google searching will find the part # of that switch (assuming you need to replace it). Check with the dealer for a price, but chances are it will be cheaper to buy that section of the console (with the switches already in place) on ebay.

Top Tip: when working on tearing interior panels out, I go to ebay to find those particular panels. Sellers will show back side pics that will display the locations of the snaps and screw heads. Comes in handy to know where they're at when attacking blind from the front side.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 04-05-2022 at 04:51 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
You'll need to check the switch with an ohm meter. There would be tutorials on YT.

To get to the wires (and to replace the switch), you'll need to tear the center console and shifter area apart to get to this section of the console. Be careful - there are lots of delicate arms that snap into place. Break one and that particular piece may be rendered useless. A set of trim remover tools comes in handy. There's prob an article on Pelican Parts about how to remove the pieces of your console or there may be a YT vid. Many parts will have to be removed before you can get to that section. Once you have that section out, you can check the switch with the ohm meter and replace it if necessary. It just snaps in / out.

A bit of google searching will find the part # of that switch (assuming you need to replace it). Check with the dealer for a price, but chances are it will be cheaper to buy that section of the console (with the switches already in place) on ebay.

Top Tip: when working on tearing interior panels out, I go to ebay to find those particular panels. Sellers will show back side pics that will display the locations of the snaps and screw heads. Comes in handy to know where they're at when attacking blind from the front side.
Thank you for the explanation; That helped a lot !
Old 04-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #13

Went ahead and bought anew switch Module fromSunset Porsche in Oregon.
FYI: Part No: 997-613-133-00-FMH and its called a Porsche Stab Switch

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 04-16-2022 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add pic