Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

987 Rear Spoiler won’t operate ?

All of a sudden the dash switch won’t raise the rear spoiler, and the LED does not come on.
The only thing I had done to the car was replacement a convertible top (lift arms) Part on each side.
Is the spoiler on a Seperate fuse ? Where should I start to trouble shoot ?

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #2

Garage
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Thanks for that. The 986 system was easier to diagnose, the 987 is a little deeper.
I still did too a 75mph drive to test the automatic feature.
Right now, I lost the in-dash with feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

Garage
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
How hard is it to pull that section of the center console to check the connection ?