Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
Registered User
 
jim_hoyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
Posts: 298
987 Rear Spoiler won’t operate ?

All of a sudden the dash switch won’t raise the rear spoiler, and the LED does not come on.
The only thing I had done to the car was replacement a convertible top (lift arms) Part on each side.
Is the spoiler on a Seperate fuse ? Where should I start to trouble shoot ?

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Phat Hippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 57
Garage
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered User
 
jim_hoyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
Posts: 298
Thanks for that. The 986 system was easier to diagnose, the 987 is a little deeper.
I still did too a 75mph drive to test the automatic feature.
Right now, I lost the in-dash with feature.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Just repaired the spoiler system on my 01 986. This is a Porsche non repairable assembly priced at about $1300. for my car. I don't know that much about the 987.

Check your owners manual for the location of the fuses for the spoiler motor. Mine were located in the foot well fuse block. They were good. Then check the relays (2) one for extend and one for retract direction. Both are the same, so maybe swap the as part of trouble shooting. Mine are in the trunk. Mine were good. Micro switches located inside the spoiler assembly was the root cause of my failure, but I had a dash light warning of incomplete function not reaching micro switch, It's quite the learning experience repairing the system and I understand why Porsche only offers the entire assembly. If you are mechanically inclined... I would go for it. What do you have to lose? Time or money! You can probably jump the motor to see if it works. You could also have a manual switch deployment failure in the system if your model has one, not to mention instrument cluster failure. Mine deploys automatically at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. If you have a manual switch in the door of the foot well fuse block try it. If it works you have a deeper dive than just fuses and relays... Good luck with it and I hope I helped in some way.
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Phat Hippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 57
Garage
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
Registered User
 
jim_hoyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Sounds to me if the automatic function works...It night be just the switch in your dash.
That would be good if that is all it is. I would change it or jump the switch and see if it functions before buying one.
I hope you sort it out painlessly. I hate it when anything in my car doesn't work as intended.
How hard is it to pull that section of the center console to check the connection ?
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
Registered User
 
jim_hoyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
Posts: 298
After the console rear spoiler switch stopped working the 12v cig lighter power outlet in the passenger well stopped working.
Are these operating on the same circuit ?

Anyone had experience with the wiring to the cig outlet in the passenger well ?I'm thinking its related to that spoiler switch....?

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 09-07-2020 at 02:37 PM.
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Registered User
 
jim_hoyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
Posts: 298
Replaced the Two 13v outlet fuses; no effect on the spoiler switch. is there a test I can do in the trunk ? It's a 2006 987
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: California
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
Replaced the Two 13v outlet fuses; no effect on the spoiler switch. is there a test I can do in the trunk ? It's a 2006 987
Hi Jim, any update with the spoiler switch issue. Did you solved it?
I have the same problem in my boxster 07.
The spoiler Led doesnt turn on and the spoiler is inop.
I Check my fuses and the only one broken was the cigarette one.

Thank you.
Rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 2,327
Pull the spoiler switch and jump it. That should reveal if it's a simple switch replacement. God luck!

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page