Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Garage
Green rubber

Did an oil change over the weekend found these soft green rubber particles in the filer .RND replacment motor with 23k on it ? It was installed two years ago .Any Ideas what this is ? How bad is it ?

gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Check this: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62624-p1325-green-rubber-plastic-bits-oil-end-near.html
Old 06-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

I hope it's the oil filter O-ring but that's very unlikely. It's more than likely the O-rings inside the variocam adjusters and there's no way to replace them. The same thing happened to my 37,000 3.4 after I installed it in my boxster. It's a common problem on very low mile motors that don't get used enough. New adjusters are stupid expensive. I went with used adjusters and lifters. My lifters went flat too.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:51 AM   #4

Garage
Woody I bought this engine from RND IN 2018 I have put 23k miles on it since it was installed. 13 thousand a year, daily driver . They are supposed to have new variocam adjusters in these motors . I will check cam deviation tonight with my durametric software . Do I need to park it ? All the filter o-rings I have seen are black ?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM   #5

I would check deviation, not drive it and call RND
Old 06-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

Garage
Looks like I'm well in specs.? Any idea where soft GREEN RUBBER could come from. I did put in a tech support to RND.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #7

VarioCam units.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Garage
RND engines thinks is CURIL T sealant ? Where do the o -rings go in the variocam units .Dose anyone have an exploded drawing that shows them ? If they come from variocam would it not cause the timing specs to be out of range ? Thank you you guys are the greatest ..!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
RND engines thinks is CURIL T sealant ? Where do the o -rings go in the variocam units .Dose anyone have an exploded drawing that shows them ? If they come from variocam would it not cause the timing specs to be out of range ? Thank you you guys are the greatest ..!
Here's some great pictures from the link that I posted for you earlier (to save you the work of clicking and scrolling to look at it). It shows the green o-rings in a disassembled variocam in good detail.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #10

Garage
Thank you 78f350 So it looks to me like the chain rail has to be completely gone for the hydraulic actuator to come out of its bore ? And release its internals. So I don't think I have this problem.I will check my cam deviation daily to make sure nothing is changing. Thank you all, this forum is an excellent tool.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you 78f350 So it looks to me like the chain rail has to be completely gone for the hydraulic actuator to come out of its bore ? And release its internals. So I don't think I have this problem.I will check my cam deviation daily to make sure nothing is changing. Thank you all, this forum is an excellent tool.
That part is the only green rubber in the engine, and cam deviations at idle will not reveal it as it has no impact on those values. You need to look at the active cam angles after the VarioCam activates.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

Garage
Can that be checked with the durametrics software ?
Old 06-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That part is the only green rubber in the engine, and cam deviations at idle will not reveal it as it has no impact on those values. You need to look at the active cam angles after the VarioCam activates.
JFP, can you check them while driving on the freeway (with a friend) looking at the Durametric?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:29 AM   #14

Garage
At what rpm dose the vario cam become active ? JFP in Pa can you please tell me how I can check this ? Or is this a dealer only Job. Thanks to everyone for there help .
Old 06-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #15

Quote:
At what rpm dose the vario cam become active ? JFP in Pa can you please tell me how I can check this ? Or is this a dealer only Job. Thanks to everyone for there help .
What year is the car? Cam angle positions can be measured by the Durametric by simply revving up the engine, you can also track it real time while driving.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #16
Will there be cake?

Garage
would be interested in seeing how this works out...the color is right for CURIL T, just wonder why it would show up after 2 years. Best of luck to you.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #17

Garage
JFPinPa car is a 2000 Boxster s 3.2 motor .Motor was from RND engines installed 23k miles ago .Been driving it for 2 years do oil changes every 2500 miles. First time I have seem stuff in the filer.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
What kind of warranty does RND have on their engines? 2 years and 23k miles seems odd to have this kind of wear considering your oil change regimen.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
JFPinPa car is a 2000 Boxster s 3.2 motor .Motor was from RND engines installed 23k miles ago .Been driving it for 2 years do oil changes every 2500 miles. First time I have seem stuff in the filer.
The 2000 VarioCam system is a pretty simple on/off setup. The exhaust cam position is fixed relative to the crank, and the intake cam position moves a fixed 24 degrees relative to the exhaust cam. The movement of the tensioner is reversed for the 4-6 head. At approx 1,500 rpm the cam solenoid/tensioner moves to advance the intake cam, and at 5,500 rpm it returns to the original position.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #20

Garage
no real change as rpm increases

Last edited by gabedrummin; 06-07-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot pic