Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #21

Lets keep some perspective. Engine fires are exceeding rare in a street or track driven Boxster.

The Audi motor transplant probably had a dodgy fuel set up or the extra heat from turbos ignited something flammable. Porsche certainly didn't engineer the engine compartment for that set up.

If you want to put a racing fire system in your street car just in case, do it.

SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I wonder if a small piece of metal tubing could be installed in the rear trunk on the front wall . Maybe 3/4 " diameter and up high . You sense a fire/smoke you pull over and grab your extinguisher . As you exit the car you pop the trunk and place the nozzle of the extinguisher into the tube and empty it . Either the fire goes out or you walk away knowing you at least tried . A simple rubber plug would keep under hood dirt and grime from getting in the trunk . Crazy idea ?
Awesome idea....very impressive
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 AM   #23

rfuerst - I was wondering the same thing, but was picturing in my mind that the distribution tube would pass through and be attached to the front engine cover, so that a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment could be used even if egress from the vehicle was impeded. Seems like an easier install, and if you decide you don't like it for whatever reason just swap in a new used cover.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #24

Broken Linkage I think most firemen would say get out of the vehicle first , that's why I suggested the rear trunk . But anything is possible .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #25

Some sort of stylish fitting eminating from the right side vent might be feasible as well.

I have an extra engine cover for the cost of shipping any need to experiment....may be prohibitive as I am way up in Canada and its big
Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I wonder if a small piece of metal tubing could be installed in the rear trunk on the front wall . Maybe 3/4 " diameter and up high . You sense a fire/smoke you pull over and grab your extinguisher . As you exit the car you pop the trunk and place the nozzle of the extinguisher into the tube and empty it . Either the fire goes out or you walk away knowing you at least tried . A simple rubber plug would keep under hood dirt and grime from getting in the trunk . Crazy idea ?
Yes crazy idea, you don't run back to a vehicle that is on fire.

The hand held is just to put out the field you just lit up.

The car burns.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #27
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Yes crazy idea, you don't run back to a vehicle that is on fire.

The hand held is just to put out the field you just lit up.

The car burns.
Running back? You smell a fire... quickly you're going to exit the car. If I had the trunk setup, as described, and I smell a fire... I'm going to stop the car... open the door to exit hitting the trunk release on my way out... going to the back of the car... positioning the extinguisher into that, what, 3/4 inch pipe... activate the extinguisher... then getting the h ell out of there.

Running back? Nope. Once, and done.

7 seconds.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
One of my parts car Boxsters was an engine burn car and I have seen plenty more over the years on Copart and IAA. It happens. It is not rare. I do not see many scenarios where an engine compartment fire would not be considered a total loss by the insurance company, even if you have a system to extinguish it. I'm all for fire suppression as a safety measure. A good system can keep you from getting severe burns and keep more of the car salvageable. Just don't risk harm to yourself to 'save' a car that's going to be totaled anyway.

Burnt 986s Currently on the salvage market at Copart and IAA:

Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 AM   #29

I think my suggestion of a tube mounted in the rear trunk on the front wall facing the engine has merit . First and most important get out of the vehicle . While you are unbuckling and setting the parking brake grab your extinguisher . As you exit pop the rear trunk . If you have a cap on the tube pop the cap off . Pull pin on extinguisher place the nozzle in the tube and let it rip . That entire scenario is what 10 - 15 seconds ?

The trunk lid is open so it somewhat shields you . Lets face it this scenario is successful only if you catch it early , if it's fully engulfed after you pull over it's too late . Just speaking for myself while I would love to save my car it's my 25K Jake Raby engine I REALLY want to save ............. for the next chassis

Fire is dangerous business and has to be taken very seriously . But this thread was started over concerns on how to put it out on a Boxster . From the comments it's obvious in stock form there is no easy way to do so . So in that scenario there are two camps . Just get out and let it burn or be inventive and have at least a chance of saving . I think I will explore my option and see what I can come up with . This thread has made me realize I carry a fire extinguisher in my S but it's a false sense of security , if I had a fire I would have no way to expel the goods into the engine bay .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #30
Certified Boxster Addict

I have seen two Boxster fires at the race track - both were the result of the power steering rubber line melting and leaking power steering fluid onto a hot engine which ignited.

In both instances it was hopeless to try to put out the fire with a handheld extinguisher (and both cars had a handheld extinguisher). By the time the driver noticed what was happening, slowed to a stop and exited, it was time to stand back and wait for the professional fire team to do the firefighting.

My recommendation is if your car is ever on fire, get out and to hell with the car. Your first, second, third, fourth, and fifth concerns are the safety of yourself (and your possible passenger).

If you really want to have a chance of saving your car, invest $1500 in a remote bottle fire suppression system that has hard lines going from the bottle to the engine compartment. Then you hit the remote release button as you exit and hope that it does the job while you wait for the fire dept to show up.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-04-2020 at 09:03 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #31

Is there a steel braided ps line upgrade that needs to be done on these cars? Tom any other OPEX on the susceptible lines? Yeah I have seen a 911 go .....there were seconds and then 10 feet plus of flame. All moved well back in hurry there was nothing that could be done
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #32
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Is there a steel braided ps line upgrade that needs to be done on these cars? Tom any other OPEX on the susceptible lines? Yeah I have seen a 911 go .....there were seconds and then 10 feet plus of flame. All moved well back in hurry there was nothing that could be done
The most common fix is to install an under drive pulley. That slows the power steering pump pulley which seems to reduce the temp of the power steering fluid. The under drive pulley won't affect the power steering.

When I had to replace the power steering lines (due to going off track, hitting debris, and ripping them out from under the car), I don't remember any SS upgrades available. That doesn't mean that they're not available but I couldn't find any. I suppose someone could fab them or have a shop custom fab them.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote