Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Post Steps to Flashing 996 Tune on my Boxster S

Hey Everyone. I wanted to take a moment and share my success with this this.

I recently installed the 987 Airbox, 987 MAF/MAF Tube, and the 997 Throttle Body and T-Plenum on to my 2002 Boxster S. Car ran, but desperately needed a tune. Here is what I was able to do:

My car has the DME Version 7.2. (must use 2001 Tune)
2003+ has 7.8. (Can use 04 986 SE Tune)

-Find a Dealer or independent mechanic who can get your DME Access Codes from Porsche directly.
-Find someone who can flash the 996 OEM Tune on to your car with the PTS2 or a PIWIS I-III System.

-Have them plug the system in. Clear all fault codes. ensure the system connects to your 986.
-Click on the 996 Diagnostic tab.
-Access the system and look for Map
-From there you must manually select as the DME Will not recognize what you have. We had to select Manual Transmission. With or without PSM, and what year I need.
-Then you will need to enter your DME Code and immobilizer code and verify.
-Once you get past all that, you are golden. It asks you what do you want to write. You can choose 99, 00, or 2001. I selected 2001.
-Choose what tune, ROW, US, or LEV (California Emissions Tune)
-Select and you are good. Takes 7 minutes to write it to the DME.

Look for faults and address as necessary. However, I did run into one issue. The DME Control Box does not recognize my Instrument Cluster and that, I need help figuring out. Ran out of time after trouble shooting for almost 2 hours, but the car runs perfectly. I have a CEL but that is only due to the DME not recognizing my instrument cluster.

If anyone who has done this can shed some light on how I can get my DME to recognize the instrument cluster, I could really use your help

-I may have one or two of these steps out of order. But they basically follow those steps.

Last edited by hotdawwgman; 05-07-2020 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Clarified steps of process
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
Hey Everyone. I wanted to take a moment and share my success with this this.

I recently installed the 987 Airbox, 987 MAF/MAF Tube, and the 997 Throttle Body and T-Plenum on to my 2002 Boxster S. Car ran, but desperately needed a tune. Here is what I was able to do:

My car has the DME Version 7.2. (must use 2001 Tune)

2003+ has 7.8. (Can use 04 986 SE Tune)

-Find a Dealer or independent mechanic who can get your DME Access Codes from Porsche directly.

-Find someone who can flash the 996 OEM Tune on to your car with the PTS2 or a PIWIS I-III System.

-Have them plug the system in. Clear all fault codes. ensure the system connects to your 986.

-Click on the 996 Diagnostic tab.

-Access the system and look for Map

-From there you must manually select as the DME Will not recognize what you have. We had to select Manual Transmission. With or without PSM, and what year I need.

-Then you will need to enter your DME Code and immobilizer code and verify.

-Once you get past all that, you are golden. It asks you what do you want to write. You can choose 99, 00, or 2001. I selected 2001.

-Choose what tune, ROW, US, or LEV (California Emissions Tune)

-Select and you are good. Takes 7 minutes to write it to the DME.

Look for faults and address as necessary. However, I did run into one issue. The DME Control Box does not recognize my Instrument Cluster and that, I need help figuring out. Ran out of time after trouble shooting for almost 2 hours, but the car runs perfectly. I have a CEL but that is only due to the DME not recognizing my instrument cluster.

If anyone who has done this can shed some light on how I can get my DME to recognize the instrument cluster, I could really use your help
I can't help, but you're sure impressing me here. I have a PST2 that I purchased so I could do just this. But haven't done it yet.

Please keep us appraised on what you find?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
One solution is to install a 996 cluster and oil sender. Does your climate control work?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
One solution is to install a 996 cluster and oil sender. Does your climate control work?
My cluster and Climate work. Just sends a fault to the DME. The only thing that isn’t working is the Cruise Control. Now we thought that maybe the DME is looking for the 996 Gauge Cluster, but I don’t want to throw an expensive part at it, and then it doesn’t solve the issue. Plus I need to do a bunch of research to see what cluster works for my 2002.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I can't help, but you're sure impressing me here. I have a PST2 that I purchased so I could do just this. But haven't done it yet.

Please keep us appraised on what you find?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I was asking a lot of questions last month because I couldn’t find the right info, so I decided to partner up with a shop who had the capability of sharing their knowledge and equipment to try something we all haven’t done before. The techs I worked with were so intrigued that they stayed after, off the clock to experiment and by their surprise, they were able to load the map. They were shocked.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Just drove the car. The Climate Control is not working. I have no A/C in the car.

One thought was to flash the current cluster to a 996. Then reflash it to a 986. Hypothetically it should work, as sometimes you need to do this to calibrate your analog Speedometer on the 996 Instrument Cluster. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Maybe

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm

Boxster guru Todd Holyoak has developed the following programming system for updating the gauge cluster in the Boxster:

Connect the PST2 or PIWIS tester and select model 996 and the DME module

The only option available to you will be to reprogram the DME

Reprogram the DME using the immobilizer and DME programming codes. Use the codes that you received from your dealer, and enter the same values for the old and new codes when the PST2 requests them.

After programming, enter the vehicle data tab

Recode the model type to 911 C2 cab , use 911310 for North America, or 911311 for Rest Of World (ROW)

Back out to the original screen and perform a complete control module search

Enter the instrument cluster tab, and change any coding you would like (cruise control, On Board Computer, cabriolet set, etc)

Exit back to the original screen

Recode back to your original 986 type using the current DME and immobilizer codes you used previously.

This procedure should allow you to change all of the settings in the 996 cluster to work with your Boxster. If for some reason you are not able to get this procedure to work, another solution is to install the gauge cluster into an existing 996 car and then reprogram it there. Of course, it's pretty difficult to find someone willing to let their 996's dashboard be taken apart for this purpose.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 05-07-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Maybe

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm

Boxster guru Todd Holyoak has developed the following programming system for updating the gauge cluster in the Boxster:

Connect the PST2 or PIWIS tester and select model 996 and the DME module

The only option available to you will be to reprogram the DME

Reprogram the DME using the immobilizer and DME programming codes. Use the codes that you received from your dealer, and enter the same values for the old and new codes when the PST2 requests them.

After programming, enter the vehicle data tab

Recode the model type to 911 C2 cab , use 911310 for North America, or 911311 for Rest Of World (ROW)

Back out to the original screen and perform a complete control module search

Enter the instrument cluster tab, and change any coding you would like (cruise control, On Board Computer, cabriolet set, etc)

Exit back to the original screen

Recode back to your original 986 type using the current DME and immobilizer codes you used previously.

This procedure should allow you to change all of the settings in the 996 cluster to work with your Boxster. If for some reason you are not able to get this procedure to work, another solution is to install the gauge cluster into an existing 996 car and then reprogram it there. Of course, it's pretty difficult to find someone willing to let their 996's dashboard be taken apart for this purpose.
Yeah I was going to try it with my OEM Boxster Cluster
Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

any idea what sort of BHP or WHP you're getting with all the modifications you've made?
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #10

I just installed a 74mm TB and Ben's carbon fiber intake and have exhaust and a custom intake... very interested in the results of the 996 tune!!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
any idea what sort of BHP or WHP you're getting with all the modifications you've made?
I am not sure, they say it will create 15-20 HP. There is no lag now from 4000-5500 RPM. Very linear power and pull. It’s worth it!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
I just installed a 74mm TB and Ben's carbon fiber intake and have exhaust and a custom intake... very interested in the results of the 996 tune!!
You only need the tune if you install a larger MAF Tube. So if you do the 987 Airbox paired with the MAF Tube, you need it. Otherwise the car will lean out
Old 05-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #13

Tomorrow, I am working on getting the Instrument cluster reflashed and I will update the thread with the results.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
You only need the tune if you install a larger MAF Tube. So if you do the 987 Airbox paired with the MAF Tube, you need it. Otherwise the car will lean out
There are adjustment and power gains to be had from a remap even if you don't use the 987 MAF. I did the mods and a remap on my last 986 and showed Dyno gains for each set of mods.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
There are adjustment and power gains to be had from a remap even if you don't use the 987 MAF. I did the mods and a remap on my last 986 and showed Dyno gains for each set of mods.
Well that’s good to know. I didn’t want to say yes without confirmation
Old 05-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks, would you share your numbers and/or dyno charts? Lots of claims but no one ever shows proof. 986 base or S?
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Thanks, would you share your numbers and/or dyno charts? Lots of claims but no one ever shows proof. 986 base or S?
Yes, early in the other thread on 987 airboxes there were several promised dyno figures which somehow never appeared.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:

Not enough power gain to justify the cost.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #19

I didn't dyno the car. Currently still trying to get he instrument cluster to talk to the DME. Have been using the PIWIS 3, may need to step down the the PIWIS 2 and see if I any better results that way.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Not enough power gain to justify the cost.
£300 for half a day on the Dyno means it is cheaper than parts plus labour to fit the cheap eBay manifolds or the cheap sports cats for around the same gain. Plus you can adjust other maps to alter the throttle response characteristics.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
987 airbox , 996 , flash , tune