Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
IMS Toolkit question

I purchased the LN IMS Pro Tool kit, 106.08.13 for my upcoming IMS repair and notice that it only has one (1) cam locking plate in the kit for my 5 chain engine.
Is this all I need?
I thought I needed to lock both exhaust cams on both sides of the engine at the same time?
Does the second (3 chain locking cam work on the other side, as it is substantially thicker?

Asking out to pelican on this as well.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
This just in from LN Engineering

"You are good to go. Only one side needs to be locked which is why there is only 1 in the kit. The smaller loc that looks like a "C" is the 5-chain loc."

I'm told it is the right side, facing the flywheel.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 05-04-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

I'm doing an IMS change on a 5-chain engine and the cam lock situation was a little confusing to me. A lot of the tool kits come with a "c-shaped" lock and an "e-shaped" lock. Can see them in your original picture.

The c-shape lock fits into one of the camshaft end notches on a 5-chain motor. The cams on each head have a chain that keeps one aligned with the other so only cam must be locked (along with the crankshaft -- follow ALL the instructions).

On a 3 chain motor, I think the E-shaped lock is used. It locks BOTH cams on a head. The tool ends that fit into the cam notches are also thicker and won't fit into the cams on my 5-chain head. Somebody with a 3-chain motor pls correct me if this is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
This just in from LN Engineering

"You are good to go. Only one side needs to be locked which is why there is only 1 in the kit. The smaller loc that looks like a "C" is the 5-chain loc."

I'm told it is the right side, facing the flywheel.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

OK, let's settle this: On the five chain engines you only need to use the smaller or "C" shaped cam lock, and it goes onto the passenger side head towards the passenger compartment, but only after the engine is already locked at TDC using the pin in the crank pulley. Because the three chain engines are more prone to jumping time during an IMS retrofit, you need to lock both cams on that same cylinder head in the same manner using the "E" shaped cam lock.

Simple.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-07-2020 at 10:49 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
and unless the engine is out of the car, the fancy t handle locking pin in the kit cannot be used unless you cut it off...I used a drill bit.
UPDATE: I figured out that if you unscrew the fancy plastic handle, it is short enough.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 05-10-2020 at 08:29 AM.