Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

Spoiler up indication

I am trying to get a spoiler up indication on a dash mounted LED and so far no success.

The Wiring diagrams I have (1998 Boxster and 2001 Boxster S from Bentley) show that this up indication signal is provided on pin 9 Grey / Brown wire on the white connector for the instrument cluster. It appears that this signal comes from contacts within the spoiler drive mechanism.

I believe that with the spoiler up this lead is grounded and that an LED with 12VDC on the other side of it will light up the LED solid with the spoiler up.....but I can't get this to work

My model year is 2000. Is there another PIN number and wire colour code that I should tap for spoiler up indication? Do I have the wrong one?

I don't have a spoiler malfunction that I am aware of and this really frustrating for a non electrical type like myself....

Old 04-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

Garage
I believe the light is a warning light and not to indicate that the spoiler is raised. At least that's how it seems to work on my 2004 S.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Garage

Had my 01 986 S manual out, here you go. Anker is correct.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #4

Yes correct gents but I am installing an add on indicator which will light with spoiler up
Old 04-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

There was a guy on eBay who used to sell these lights, and I installed it a couple of years ago. They really are a pretty cool addition.

You can see it if you look closely at this picture of mine. It is the top 'button' to the left side of the radio area (the second and third buttons below it are for the OBD):

I probably do still have the 'How To Install' instructions out in the garage, if this will help.

DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
The Wiring diagrams I have (1998 Boxster and 2001 Boxster S from Bentley) show that this up indication signal is provided on pin 9 Grey / Brown wire on the white connector for the instrument cluster. It appears that this signal comes from contacts within the spoiler drive mechanism.
For everyone's reference:

The OP is referring to the wiring diagram in the Bently manual on Page EWD-29 that shows a signal called "Indicator Spoiler Extend" at Pin 9 of the white instrument cluster connector. Pin 26 is called "Indicator Spoiler Retract".

Both signals are derived from the "Drive Spoiler" unit which the OP believes is the drive motor.

As such, the question is: Does anyone know if the Indicator Spoiler Extend signal that is sent from the spoiler motor to the gauge cluster is on high or off high?

I don't know the answer to this question.

Thus, I would suggest that the OP could monitor Pin 9 with a voltmeter and then manually extend the spoiler to see if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is up or if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is down. This information should tell you if the Pin 9 indicator signal actually works as a spoiler position indicator and if so, how to wire an LED to properly signal the state of the spoiler.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
There was a guy on eBay who used to sell these lights, and I installed it a couple of years ago. They really are a pretty cool addition.

You can see it if you look closely at this picture of mine. It is the top 'button' to the left side of the radio area (the second and third buttons below it are for the OBD):

I probably do still have the 'How To Install' instructions out in the garage, if this will help.

DM
Dave,

Thanks very much, yes this is it! I have what I believe to be these same instructions but they don't seem to work for spoiler up indication. The switch is a defroster configuration in case you ever loose your LED. There are some Rennlist posts confirming that this would be the approach but I can't anything that shows a different wiring arrangement. I am looking for a ground with the spoiler up. What year is your car? Perhaps my 2000 is wired coded differently

Nice steering wheel sir! Do tell us where you sourced it! Your mysterious OBD switches intrigue me and have me perched over another rabbit hole...

Last edited by jaykay; 04-20-2020 at 07:05 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
For everyone's reference:

The OP is referring to the wiring diagram in the Bently manual on Page EWD-29 that shows a signal called "Indicator Spoiler Extend" at Pin 9 of the white instrument cluster connector. Pin 26 is called "Indicator Spoiler Retract".

Both signals are derived from the "Drive Spoiler" unit which the OP believes is the drive motor.

As such, the question is: Does anyone know if the Indicator Spoiler Extend signal that is sent from the spoiler motor to the gauge cluster is on high or off high?

I don't know the answer to this question.

Thus, I would suggest that the OP could monitor Pin 9 with a voltmeter and then manually extend the spoiler to see if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is up or if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is down. This information should tell you if the Pin 9 indicator signal actually works as a spoiler position indicator and if so, how to wire an LED to properly signal the state of the spoiler.
Tom,

Thanks for adding the background details that I didn't! Your idea and straight forward logic is awesome; thanks very much. Well thought out.

Trouble is access when buttoned up for operation, precludes such testing; but you got me thinking....Is there such a thing as a small scale inductive clamp that would allow me to pick of signals further down the harness. There must be and I am just not aware of this basic tool. Trouble is there are a multitude of wires bundled together that could interfere inductively.

If you have had the cluster off and have seen the cam lock connectors you know where I am coming from.

Perhaps there is no problem turning the ignition on running the spoiler up and down with the white connector (plug II on the EWD) disconnected and finding the signal for up. One could probe the open end of the connector...but there is no way for me to tell that I may fry something!
Old 04-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks very much, yes this is it! I have what I believe to be these same instructions but they don't seem to work for spoiler up indication. The switch is a defroster configuration in case you ever loose your LED. There are some Rennlist posts confirming that this would be the approach but I can't anything that shows a different wiring arrangement. I am looking for a ground with the spoiler up. What year is your car? Perhaps my 2000 is wired coded differently

Nice steering wheel sir! Do tell us where you sourced it! Your mysterious OBD switches intrigue me and have me perched over another rabbit hole...
OK, I've rummaged around in the garage and have found the instructions and my hand written notes on this install.

You are in luck - mine is a 2K S (see signature below) also, so all of the colors noted below should exactly match to your similar model / year.

The colors of the three connectors for the backside of the instrument cluster on our earlier models are Blue - White - Black. (Only as an aside, the instructions note that the 2001 and later model years use different colors - Grey - Blue - Green).

The Green wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Black/White and to the White/Green slots of the Blue connector. I have written the numbers 25 and 12 in my notes.

The Yellow wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Orange slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 1.

The White wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Brown/Blue slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 21.

The Brown wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Grey/Brown slot of the White connector. My notes: No. 9.

That's all that I got.

Obviously, if you do not own the same model of spoiler indicator as I do, the wire color references above keyed to that item may not be meaningful to you. But at the least, the slots in the three instrument connectors will give you a clue as to which signals are relevant.

The spoiler indicator LED light remains off as long as the spoiler is down. During either up or down motion, the LED indicator blinks (which is very handy, as you'll catch it out of the corner of your eye). And as long as the spoiler is up, the LED indicator is steadily lit.

As an additional fun feature, if you set your OBD speed warning chime to 75 mph, then once you have reached that speed, the chime goes off and the LED blinks. So you then have both auditory and visual spoiler motion indications!

-----

The steering wheel is well worth the money that I paid for it. The flat bottom provides some very welcome thigh clearance for the 99% of the time that the car is driven in a generally straight line. Further details and info on it can be found in this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71197-upgrade-type-steering-wheel-possible.html

The first picture below is of the spoiler indicator itself, bought on eBay couple of years ago (the picture was copied from his ad). The second picture is a closer detail of the end result (I do not know why it is rotated? I do not see a way to change it).

Enjoy - DM

Old 04-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #10

spoiler position indicator

These are still available on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-986-spoiler-control-LED-indicator-switch-Boxster-S-NEW/264679165568
MaddogsMotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

Dave,

Thanks very much for this. How very fortunate that you have the same model year. I ran a check and it seems that I have made the same connections as you have with the except of the brown blue (pin 21) on the white connector. There are two brown blue wires. I am not sure which one is at pin 8 as shown on the EWD for up indication and which one is 21. Can you remember how they are numbered? I have tried them both but no solid indication with spoiler up. The picture has very few leads coming from the bundle to the switch as compared to what is required. Strange.

I am wondering if I am not getting an indication due to: spoiler drive problem that is not seen as a malfunction; I am not getting ground as I have other items apart in the car or there; or the car needs to be moving and reset, to see a solid up indication.

I was able to test the arrangement outside the car with 12 VDC (your yellow wire) and O VDC on your brown wire and got the LED lit solid. So it is not a switch LED problem.

I have to admit I am stumped at present.

>>I really like your gauge solution and single din plate. Are those white faced VDOs? They look like a great match with rest of the Boxster S stuff

Quote:
OK, I've rummaged around in the garage and have found the instructions and my hand written notes on this install.

You are in luck - mine is a 2K S (see signature below) also, so all of the colors noted below should exactly match to your similar model / year.

The colors of the three connectors for the backside of the instrument cluster on our earlier models are Blue - White - Black. (Only as an aside, the instructions note that the 2001 and later model years use different colors - Grey - Blue - Green).

The Green wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Black/White and to the White/Green slots of the Blue connector. I have written the numbers 25 and 12 in my notes.

The Yellow wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Orange slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 1.

The White wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Brown/Blue slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 21.

The Brown wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Grey/Brown slot of the White connector. My notes: No. 9.

That's all that I got.

Obviously, if you do not own the same model of spoiler indicator as I do, the wire color references above keyed to that item may not be meaningful to you. But at the least, the slots in the three instrument connectors will give you a clue as to which signals are relevant.

The spoiler indicator LED light remains off as long as the spoiler is down. During either up or down motion, the LED indicator blinks (which is very handy, as you'll catch it out of the corner of your eye). And as long as the spoiler is up, the LED indicator is steadily lit.

As an additional fun feature, if you set your OBD speed warning chime to 75 mph, then once you have reached that speed, the chime goes off and the LED blinks. So you then have both auditory and visual spoiler motion indications!

-----

The steering wheel is well worth the money that I paid for it. The flat bottom provides some very welcome thigh clearance for the 99% of the time that the car is driven in a generally straight line. Further details and info on it can be found in this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71197-upgrade-type-steering-wheel-possible.html

The first picture below is of the spoiler indicator itself, bought on eBay couple of years ago (the picture was copied from his ad). The second picture is a closer detail of the end result (I do not know why it is rotated? I do not see a way to change it).

Enjoy - DM

Last edited by jaykay; 04-22-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogsMotorSports View Post
Thanks,

I would definitely buy one if I could demonstrate that it will fix my problem. I will likely just end up in the same place unless one my current pin connections is 100% faulty all the time, even after replacement and changes.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks very much for this. How very fortunate that you have the same model year. I ran a check and it seems that I have made the same connections as you have with the except of the brown blue (pin 21) on the white connector. There are two brown blue wires. I am not sure which one is at pin 8 as shown on the EWD for up indication and which one is 21. Can you remember how they are numbered? I have tried them both but no solid indication with spoiler up. The picture has very few leads coming from the bundle to the switch as compared to what is required. Strange.

I am wondering if I am not getting an indication due to: spoiler drive problem that is not seen as a malfunction; I am not getting ground as I have other items apart in the car or there; or the car needs to be moving and reset, to see a solid up indication.

I was able to test the arrangement outside the car with 12 VDC (your yellow wire) and O VDC on your brown wire and got the LED lit solid. So it is not a switch LED problem.

I have to admit I am stumped at present.

>>I really like your gauge solution and single din plate. Are those white faced VDOs? They look like a great match with rest of the Boxster S stuff
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to be very much more help here, as I did my install maybe 3 years ago. The fine details (anything beyond that which I have already posted) are thus lost to the foggy annuls of time.

But I can confirm that the blinking-while-moving LED and the solid-when-up LED can both be seen when the car is stationary and the engine is off, simply by using that manual spoiler switch by the fusebox. (I've just now went out to the garage and have double-checked it)

VDO details: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64546-please-post-your-pictures-auxiliary-center-gauges.html I really do like these gauges, as their color scheme (white faces, red needles, with black letters and center needle hub "button") is a close of a match as one could hope to find to the OEM gauges. The only (very) cosmetic minor nits to pick are that the round VDO gauge surrounds are bright chrome vs. a less shiny satin silver for the OEM. Also, the OEM gauges use some sort of a weird number font which does not agree with the much more standard VDO lettering font.

To install the VDO gauges, I bought an extra CD slide holder and gutted it, using only the mounting hardware such that it slides and fits into the console without modifications. A 3 mm thick piece of aluminum was used to form the face, holes were cut into it for the pair of gauges, and then it was adhered to the face of the gutted CD holder. The whole gauge package deal easily slides into and out of the console, and it is therefore easily removed with no harm done, should I ever decide to go back to the OEM cubby hole (not likely to happen, but you never know).

Keep plugging away at it!

Cheers - DM

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 04-23-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Just FYI, I have one of the eBay indicators posted above and I repaired it last year because I broke one of the pins (actually a diode) when installing it in my instrument cluster. There is more going on with it than just wiring an LED to the instrument cluster. I cannot recall exactly, but during the repair I had the LED always on when I got the wiring wrong, the diodes have something to do with that and making the LED blink as the spoiler goes up/down.

I also have a PDF of the install instructions if anyone would like them, message me you email, but they don't have much more info than what was already posted.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #15

Thanks Rick. I got the blinking function set with the diode in transition but not the solid light fully up. Not sure yet where I have screwed up. I will post my findings if I can resolve for everyone's benefit
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to be very much more help here, as I did my install maybe 3 years ago. The fine details (anything beyond that which I have already posted) are thus lost to the foggy annuls of time.

But I can confirm that the blinking-while-moving LED and the solid-when-up LED can both be seen when the car is stationary and the engine is off, simply by using that manual spoiler switch by the fusebox. (I've just now went out to the garage and have double-checked it)

VDO details: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64546-please-post-your-pictures-auxiliary-center-gauges.html I really do like these gauges, as their color scheme (white faces, red needles, with black letters and center needle hub "button") is a close of a match as one could hope to find to the OEM gauges. The only (very) cosmetic minor nits to pick are that the round VDO gauge surrounds are bright chrome vs. a less shiny satin silver for the OEM. Also, the OEM gauges use some sort of a weird number font which does not agree with the much more standard VDO lettering font.

To install the VDO gauges, I bought an extra CD slide holder and gutted it, using only the mounting hardware such that it slides and fits into the console without modifications. A 3 mm thick piece of aluminum was used to form the face, holes were cut into it for the pair of gauges, and then it was adhered to the face of the gutted CD holder. The whole gauge package deal easily slides into and out of the console, and it is therefore easily removed with no harm done, should I ever decide to go back to the OEM cubby hole (not likely to happen, but you never know).

Keep plugging away at it!

Cheers - DM
Dave, thanks for the tips and advice. Very helpful!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #17

Gents,

I was able to solve this and just wanted to follow up in case others come up against this problem.

It turns out there was another grey/brown wire buried in the white connector harness; not at all visible. Keep everything the same, I changed my connection here and was able to get a solid LED up indication. I am unsure which pin number it is.

I would say that the lesson here is to verify connections against pin numbers and wire colour code if possible. Yes, I have accepted that I am wiring challenged.

Stay tuned as I try to wire up other stuff. Its not going to be graceful.

Last edited by jaykay; 05-18-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #18
Will there be cake?

Garage
I have an issue with my spoiler, after R & R the spoiler for exhaust installation. it functions, but when I retract it, it almost, but doesn't completely retract. It's about 1/4 inch up and a light push drops it down. Doesn't appears or sound like there is any binding. Thoughts?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
I have an issue with my spoiler, after R & R the spoiler for exhaust installation. it functions, but when I retract it, it almost, but doesn't completely retract. It's about 1/4 inch up and a light push drops it down. Doesn't appears or sound like there is any binding. Thoughts?
I've mine off right now. Looking at it... maybe incorrectly you reinstalled it? Maybe the larger piece, to which the spoiler "top" snaps into place, and to which through you insert those three "push pins"... maybe it's hanging somewhere.

When you reinstalled the spoiler... did you have the two bars all the way up? Had completely, by pressing the switch on the fuse panel, you ensured those two bars fully extended?

Have you disassembled everything and taken another stab?

Pic of the spoiler anomaly?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I've mine off right now. Looking at it... maybe incorrectly you reinstalled it? Maybe the larger piece, to which the spoiler "top" snaps into place, and to which through you insert those three "push pins"... maybe it's hanging somewhere.

When you reinstalled the spoiler... did you have the two bars all the way up? Had completely, by pressing the switch on the fuse panel, you ensured those two bars fully extended?

Have you disassembled everything and taken another stab?

Pic of the spoiler anomaly?
I will provide picture later, it won't tell us much.
Yes to everything, installed correctly, up all the way, everything seems perfect.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote