Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Please post your pictures of auxiliary center gauges!

Playing with the idea of adding in some VDO gauges into one of my center console cubbies, for oil temp / oil pressure / voltmeter.

Would like to see some pictures posted from those of you who may have preceded me with this thought, for inspiration purposes.

A "search" did not bring forth much.

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This is the thread you are looking for.

Most of the ways I have seen it done are similar to these. Pedro sells a kit, which is the only prepackaged one for the 986 I know of.

EDIT:
Another one

Last edited by rick3000; 12-02-2016 at 03:33 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Here is a link to Pedro's Gauge set

TechnoGauges - For all Porsches. What the factory did not include
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

Done!

I bought an old used CD holder and hacked it apart so to serve as the framework for the aluminum bezel. So now it slides right into the console like it was made for it.

The original VDO hot incandescent illumination bulbs were replaced with cool amber LED lamps, so to match the OEM gauge lights. Looks nifty in the dark.

Super pleased with the results.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Here's mine:

What bulbs did you use, I didn't wire mine up because I didn't want the stock bulbs and also I never thought I would care if it was dark out and I couldn't see the gauges, but now it I bugging me. I too cut apart a cd holder to make the base

Last edited by steved0x; 03-29-2017 at 06:05 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

What bulbs did you use, I didn't wire mine up because I didn't want the stock bulbs and also I never thought I would care if it was dark out and I couldn't see the gauges, but now it I bugging me. I too cut apart a cd holder to make the base
Nothing fancy, just some low powered generic amber LED lamps.

Last time I was at my local branch of a well-known national auto parts chain, I noticed that they had a wide variety of these LED lamps hanging on the peg. Just pull one of the incandescent lamps from one of your gauges and match them up.

Thanks - DM
Old 03-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Garage
I've always liked the combination of idiot lights to get your attention and gauges to keep you informed. Do any of these add-ons keep your idiot lights functional?
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 AM   #8

As far as the oil pressure goes, you replace the OEM idiot light sending unit on the cylinder head with a VDO one which has outputs for both the light and the gauge.

So yes, you then have the best of both worlds.

Thanks - DM
Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #9

Very nice job
eallga72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:13 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post

Old thread, I know, but wondering where this shift boot came from as I've looking for a replacement and nothing at all has popped up anywhere.

Also, more in the line of this thread's original purpose, has anyone added an oil pressure gauge to the right of the gauge cluster where the 996 oil pressure gauge lives? Seems like there's enough real estate although a standard VDO gauge might be pushing it and I don't know how much depth there is. I'm sure something could be arranged, maybe a smaller gauge or a maybe a sideways reading gauge like the 996 gauge. I just don't want to mess with the 996 cluster due to price, compatibility, coding, etc.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:30 PM   #11

99.9% sure that is an ICT shift and boot from eBay. I have spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at shift knob options.

I agree an oil pressure gauge would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
Old thread, I know, but wondering where this shift boot came from as I've looking for a replacement and nothing at all has popped up anywhere.

Also, more in the line of this thread's original purpose, has anyone added an oil pressure gauge to the right of the gauge cluster where the 996 oil pressure gauge lives? Seems like there's enough real estate although a standard VDO gauge might be pushing it and I don't know how much depth there is. I'm sure something could be arranged, maybe a smaller gauge or a maybe a sideways reading gauge like the 996 gauge. I just don't want to mess with the 996 cluster due to price, compatibility, coding, etc.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:29 AM   #12

Garage
I added oil pressure gauges to 2 of my boxsters in the same location. The gauge can be seen with both three and four spoke steering wheels. The hardest part is running a wire under the console to connect to the sensor on the engine.

In one case I used a cheap VDO clone gauge and sender from Amazon. The pressure sender for the gauge can be installed on the bank 2 head, keeping the idiot light sender on the bank 1 head.
On the other car I used a VDO gauge and the sender from a 996 which has both idiot light and gauge senders. The gauge is visible with both three and 4 spoke steering wheels.

Another possibility is an LED gauge something like this. The photo is a (very) temporary temperature gauge I installed while working out a wiring problem after an engine swap, I would think a place could be found to install it properly.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 01-07-2024 at 05:45 AM.
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:29 AM   #13

I think you are on the right track adding the additional gauges. On cold mornings it is nice to know that the oil is circulating optimally before you thrash the car. I understand that you are specifically looking to add auxiliary gauges, but there are other options. I took a different approach and added a 996-gauge cluster to my car.

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

I enjoyed the project and because I started with a defective 996 cluster it wasn't expensive. Now when I look at a stock Boxster cluster, it looks like the factory left something off.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote