Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #1

NEEDS help*..loud clicking noise from rear end...

guys, i m new to the board but i have been lurking on here for awhile, beofre and ofcourse after i got my box...around 3 months ago..,

here are some of my issues, \\

load and annoying clicking noise...sorta like the clicking noise when u spin the wheel from "wheel of fortune"....game show...when i press the throttle..my first guess was that the cat's "honey comb" is coming loose....but have yet to verify, last time i brougt my car to the deal, becuase my 5th cylinder was misfiring, i had them check it out, they told me it was the cat.....still i am still not sure, if it is...i am just going to get the fabspeed cat deletes and that would fix my problem...

but i hope to get some more info beofre i do that..

2nd issue.....I THINK I HAVE THE DREADED RMS LEAK!!...

last night i noitce oil spots in my garage floor.....can and i see it, on the underside of my engine as well...can anyone post a pic of where it really is suppsoe to be coming from?..

how hard is the seal change if i was looking to do a DIY on it?

ohh...btw...its a 01 Box base, with 160,000KM on it......

i have also notice break fade...u guyz would suggest a full flush? and fulid change?

i have no idea what has been done to the car maintenace wise.....but i was "told" it was service at my local p-dealer, i managedd to pull up a list,.....fromthe dealer but i did not understand it at all.

thanks in advance for ur help guy

01boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #2

Hi,

I hate to say this, but if it were me, I would not run or drive the car until a mechanic inspects it. From what you describe, I'm wondering if you're not having trouble with the Intermediate Shaft. It's somewhat unusual for it to give a warning, but if this is the case, running the Car can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am, but it's not an area where being overly cautious is a bad idea. It may cost you to tow it in, but compared with the cost of an engine, it's miniscule. It could easily turn out to be the Cat, but I wouldn't take the chance, especially if you have Oil leaking, have a pro look at it - cheap insurance.

So far as RMS replacement should that turn out to be the case, it is a DIY project for the experienced shadetree mechanic, but unless you've done this type of work before, it's best left to the pros, I'd rate it a 9 on a scale of 10. There are measurements to be taken to insure that the seal can be repaired/replaced (on some engines, it cannot and engine replacement is the only cure).

On the brake issue, if the fluid hasn't been changed in 2 or more years, it's due for a full flush. Also, mic the pads and rotors to insure they're within spec. Hope this helps... Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #3

thanks for the suggestion....

hmm dunno if u miss that i had it in the dealer last week, becuase the 5th cylinder was misfiring, and that they did do a test on the car, cause i mention to then that loud noise, and the oil was there when i took it in, so if the condition as bad as u describe, would they have told me to fix it? cause all they told me was ..."replace that only coil for 300 sumthing odd dollars...or replace all the coils for 800sumthing...but with 300 and somthing ur pretty good to go until the others go bad, and as for the rattling sound, its the pre-cat"....then he mention nothing of the oil leak, so thats when i got to think its just something regular from a 6 yr old car with 160,000km on it....

thanks!!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01boxster
thanks for the suggestion....

hmm dunno if u miss that i had it in the dealer last week, becuase the 5th cylinder was misfiring, and that they did do a test on the car, cause i mention to then that loud noise, and the oil was there when i took it in, so if the condition as bad as u describe, would they have told me to fix it? cause all they told me was ..."replace that only coil for 300 sumthing odd dollars...or replace all the coils for 800sumthing...but with 300 and somthing ur pretty good to go until the others go bad, and as for the rattling sound, its the pre-cat"....then he mention nothing of the oil leak, so thats when i got to think its just something regular from a 6 yr old car with 160,000km on it....

thanks!!
Hi,

OK, probably is the Cat as you say. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
load and annoying clicking noise...sorta like the clicking noise when u spin the wheel from "wheel of fortune"....game show...when i press the throttle..my first guess was that the cat's "honey comb" is coming loose....but have yet to verify,
noisy lifter maybe? with your 160k klicks on the odo, it's a possibility. you can try the old trick to cure this: put about 1 cup of ATF in your oil. drive for 2000km, replace oil. the detergents in the ATF can often de-gum a sticky lifter.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #6

sorry for me as being a newb to this..

what is the lifter?

ATF is?...automatic transmission fluid?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #7

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

a lifter sits between a camshaft lobe and a valve. cars with solid lifters must be frequently adjusted for valve clearance. cars with hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to 'pump' a lifter up to proper clearance.

when an engine ages, hydraulic lifters can gum up a bit, causing them to sag. this creates a gap between the lifter and the camshaft. this gap is the source of 'valve tick.' the ATF can, in some circumstances, clean the lifter to a point where it functions properly again.

additionally, saggy lifters can be caused by low oil pressure (worn out oil pump, worn bearings, etc).

Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

a lifter sits between a camshaft lobe and a valve. cars with solid lifters must be frequently adjusted for valve clearance. cars with hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to 'pump' a lifter up to proper clearance.

when an engine ages, hydraulic lifters can gum up a bit, causing them to sag. this creates a gap between the lifter and the camshaft. this gap is the source of 'valve tick.' the ATF can, in some circumstances, clean the lifter to a point where it functions properly again.

additionally, saggy lifters can be caused by low oil pressure (worn out oil pump, worn bearings, etc).

but my clicking noise is pretty much constent...like as long as i have some throttle...the wheel of fortune wheel sounds is there.....from my understanding..from ur explaination...it is only suppose ot click ONCE..when i step on the trottle correc tme if i am wrong

thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
but my clicking noise is pretty much constent...like as long as i have some throttle...the wheel of fortune wheel sounds is there.....from my understanding..from ur explaination...it is only suppose ot click ONCE..when i step on the trottle correc tme if i am wrong

thanks!
does it click when the car is stopped and in nuetral?
yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #10

it stops in netural....and when the car is just idleing...no noise.....but when i have throttle...it will make the noise...
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #11

Quote:
it stops in netural....and when the car is just idleing...no noise.....but when i have throttle...it will make the noise...
if the clicking sound goes away when your in nuetral and you rev the engine then its probably a cv
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #12

sorry....cbut can u clearify what is a "CV"?

is that a joint?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
sorry....cbut can u clearify what is a "CV"?

is that a joint?
yes its a joint, maybe someone on here can post a picture or you can do a search for cv joint
Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #14

CV = Constant Velocity

there's one at each end of each drive shaft on the box.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #15

lol..so is that a joint?..like referd to CV joint?...that might be the cuase of my problem?