View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

I hate to say this, but if it were me, I would not run or drive the car until a mechanic inspects it. From what you describe, I'm wondering if you're not having trouble with the Intermediate Shaft. It's somewhat unusual for it to give a warning, but if this is the case, running the Car can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am, but it's not an area where being overly cautious is a bad idea. It may cost you to tow it in, but compared with the cost of an engine, it's miniscule. It could easily turn out to be the Cat, but I wouldn't take the chance, especially if you have Oil leaking, have a pro look at it - cheap insurance.

So far as RMS replacement should that turn out to be the case, it is a DIY project for the experienced shadetree mechanic, but unless you've done this type of work before, it's best left to the pros, I'd rate it a 9 on a scale of 10. There are measurements to be taken to insure that the seal can be repaired/replaced (on some engines, it cannot and engine replacement is the only cure).

On the brake issue, if the fluid hasn't been changed in 2 or more years, it's due for a full flush. Also, mic the pads and rotors to insure they're within spec. Hope this helps... Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote