Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Galvanic corrosion between wheels and rotors.

I'm getting a bit of galvanic corrosion between my wheels and rotors. Today I wire brushed off the galvanic corrosion from the rotor hubs and the wheels. I also painted the rotor hubs with special black paint that won't allow and rust to come back onto the rotor hubs.

With this paint between the rotors and wheels, should that be enough to stop the galvanic corrosion? Recommendations to stop this galvanic corrosion?

Painted rotor hub.

Thanks!

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-23-2019 at 07:44 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

You can do what I do - put a small dab of silicone grease on your fingertip, and rub it around on the backside of the wheel at 5 places, on each flat contact surface which surrounds the lug holes and which contacts the rotor.

Thanks - DM

P.S. - I've just done the same idea as you, but instead of your gloss black, I painted my rotor centers in a red which matches the caliper color. Once the wheel is mounted, the red rotor centers add a nice complimentary 'pop' to the appearance of the calipers. You might try this on one rotor, just to see if you like the end effect!
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
I was just reading the paint can and it says this.

Quote:
General: Miracle Paint is a unique air / moister cured non-porous paint that bonds to rusted and corroded metals like no other coating. We have personally used this product for years to fix rust on all types of Mercedes as well as other older vehicles. When combined with fiberglass cloth it can provide a permanent repair for non-structural rust holes and weak metal (rockers, floors, trunk wells, fender wells, etc.) it dries rock hard and if applied properly, will not chip, crack or peal. When dry it is impervious to gasoline, lacquer thinner, salt and most acids. Can be painted directly over rusted surfaces. It is strengthened by moister. Will seal concrete, grout, wood, metal and porous tile like nothing else. Can be EASILY applied with foam roller or brush but plan to throw them away when finished.
I think I'll try it without anything on the wheels and see how it goes. If it's as good as they say it is, it should keep the two metals from contacting each other and stop the galvanic corrosion. The red sounds nice, but I'm getting ready to purchase some OZ Alleggerita HLT wheel in gloss black and figured the gloss paint would look good with these wheels.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-22-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
With this paint between the rotors and wheels, should that be enough to stop the galvanic corrosion? Recommendations to stop this galvanic corrosion?
Not likely to keep at bay especially b/c the wheel mating surface will likely wear thru paint and put the dissimilar materials in touch w/ each other again.

Painted or not... a little dab of anti-seize will help thwart or at least minimize... You know, just enough at each mating surface to get all in your hair, on your jeans and everything else you touch or think about touching for the next 8 hours. LOL
Note how there is no / very minimal corrosion on wheel or hub lip...anti-seize.

Regardless, nice mod and painting.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 04-22-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Not likely to keep at bay especially b/c the wheel mating surface will likely wear thru paint and put the dissimilar materials in touch w/ each other again.

Painted or not... a little dab of anti-seize will help thwart or at least minimize... You know, just enough at each mating surface to get all in your hair, on your jeans and everything else you touch or think about touching for the next 8 hours. LOL

Good luck
Would that not put a lot of stress onto the lug bolts? I did think about a very light film of anti-seize, but then I started to think the anchoring of the wheel to the rotor would be hampered.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Racer Boy

No, it wouldn’t hamper anything.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post

Good luck
Yeah! What is it with anti-seize? That stuff just seems to grow patches everywhere and NEVER cleans off. Craziness.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Also echo the comments for anti-seize usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yeah! What is it with anti-seize? That stuff just seems to grow patches everywhere and NEVER cleans off. Craziness.
It's voodoo.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Well this wasn't a very good idea. Not sure if it's the paint I put on the rotors or the removal of the galvanic corrosion from the wheels, but I now have horrible shaking at all 4 wheels when I get to around 70 MPH.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #10

+1 for the anti seize. Been using it for years on all my cars w/ no issues.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Well I need to get my Summer tires put on the wheels. Guess I'll see if a new balance on the wheels might fix the vibration. If not, I'll be buying some new rotors lol.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
Just got my summer tires put on and the vibration is gone now, thank goodness. Man what a difference going from winter tires to summer tires is. Have 3 sets of roundabouts on my way to highway and she stuck like glue and no tire squelching.

Just waiting on a few more items to arrive and I'll be putting in my Koni FSD struts/shocks with all new hardware, 1 " lowering springs, new wheel bearings, new rear trailing arms, new drive axles, new motor mount, going to do a coolant flush and decided to put on a new Pierburg water pump with the low temp stat and change out the transmission fluid.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-29-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

Its not galvanic corrosion, its definitely aluminum oxide. The best solution is antiseize because the paint will not keep water out of the interface and its the aluminum going anaerobic which cannot be entirely stopped. you have all seen aluminum corrosion under paint, maybe even on your winter wheels. Damage the paint coating, water gets in and away it goes right into the casting. The only way to stop it is to remove all the corrosion chemically or mechanically before you repaint.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #14

Does it generate enough voltage to claim hybrid status?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Also echo the comments for anti-seize usage.

It's voodoo.
Saw this on facebook a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #16

Mercedes used to recommend antiseize all over the hub but then changed the recommendation to just on the wheel centering tabs. (It's tabs on Porsche as shown, on Mercedes it's a complete circle.)
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Saw this on facebook a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share

Yep that's the bottle I have & my results are similar !
Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #18

Not far from reality....really