Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Compensating Plate Size For Struts and Shocks?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to put my Koni FSD struts and shocks onto my 03 Boxster S. I am using springs that will lower the car 1" at all corners. The one thing I'm not sure about is the Compensating Plate size I need to use.

In this picture of the front struts part #5 it shows two different sizes. It shows 3,0 Mm and 6,5 Mm and I have no clue which size I need. Also the chart has an X out to the side, so is this an optional piece?

In this picture of the rear shock part #3 it shows two different sizes. It shows 3,0 Mm and 6,0 mm and I have no clue which size I need. Also the chart has an X out to the side, so is this an optional piece?

Appreciate any help on this!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Just watched a video of the shock being taken apart and put back together and the Compensating Plate is needed as it is what the spring sets into. I'm going to go with the 3,0 Mm size unless someone says different.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:02 AM   #3

On the oem springs, there is a colored dot that tells you which size to use, maybe for some sort of balancing or compensating (ha ha) for an imbalance in the springs, like a minor adjustment for corner weighting. I've only ever seen the smaller ones in use.

Hope you like the FSD, i loved mine!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:17 AM   #4

I didn't use it or need it.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
On the oem springs, there is a colored dot that tells you which size to use, maybe for some sort of balancing or compensating (ha ha) for an imbalance in the springs, like a minor adjustment for corner weighting. I've only ever seen the smaller ones in use.

Hope you like the FSD, i loved mine!
I don't know why that site calls them compensation plates. They are rubber and the springs sets into them.

Front

Rear

Most people reuse them, but I want new parts as my car has 127k miles on it.

I've had the KONI FSD struts, shocks and lowering springs for over a year and just have not got around to installing them. I've read your post on them and others, they seem to be great.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Racer Boy

I just re-used the ones that were on my 150K mile car when I rebuilt the suspension. Everything seems to be just fine.

The 3 mm thickness translates to .118 inches of ride height, for most of us, it's not a big deal.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I just re-used the ones that were on my 150K mile car when I rebuilt the suspension. Everything seems to be just fine.

The 3 mm thickness translates to .118 inches of ride height, for most of us, it's not a big deal.
That's good to know. Thing is I'm also changing the springs, so I'm not sure how the new springs would fit into the groves created by the old springs, plus the cost for new ones is only $26.16 for all four corners. I also decided to go with the thicker pieces.

I suppose this would be why it takes time for the ride height to settle in as the springs will be making new groves in the rubber.

New Front

New Rear

Last edited by KRAM36; 03-29-2019 at 08:18 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #8

Garage
What luck! I'm just about to redo my suspension and am wondering which compensating plates to order.

I asked a well-known UK Porsche parts dealer about this, and their reply:

Quote:
I have previously worked at Porsche. Even at dealership level we are told to order both and see which one is needed as they are all different leaving the factory. If we do not know we would ask Porsche, so if they do not know then we are unable to confirm which one you will need.

We cannot confirm which one you need. Neither can Porsche.
I'll be going with the thicker ones for my KONI Special Active + Eibach springs.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
I took the back wheel off and looked at the piece, on my car it's definitely the 6,0 mm piece. After looking at a picture of the front 3,0 Mm size piece, I felt it was too thin and decided to go with the ticker one.

This is the 3,0 Mm compared to the 6,5 Mm for the front.