Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #1

Flywheel install question

Quick question-
Is it possible to install the flywheel incorrectly ?
I know the dual mass has a small post that fits into a hole on the mounting side, but if it isnt aligned with that post, are you able to torque it up ?
I have the bolts in and at the initial 19ft lbs (not yet the 120 degrees), and it seems flat, but how to know for sure that post is in the hole ?

2004 Boxster S

Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
Quick question-
Is it possible to install the flywheel incorrectly ?
I know the dual mass has a small post that fits into a hole on the mounting side, but if it isnt aligned with that post, are you able to torque it up ?
I have the bolts in and at the initial 19ft lbs (not yet the 120 degrees), and it seems flat, but how to know for sure that post is in the hole ?

2004 Boxster S
Blackroot,
If I remember correctly the bolt pattern on the crank only allows you to install the flywheel on two positions (180 degrees apart).
To torque them you can become creative and use a metal strap between the flywheel and the engine housing bolts.

However, you should check that the crank position sensor reads the correct space on the flywheel, otherwise your firing order will be 180 degrees off...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Blackroot,
If I remember correctly the bolt pattern on the crank only allows you to install the flywheel on two positions (180 degrees apart).
To torque them you can become creative and use a metal strap between the flywheel and the engine housing bolts.

However, you should check that the crank position sensor reads the correct space on the flywheel, otherwise your firing order will be 180 degrees off...
I have the pulley at TDC #1, and I remember the small alignment stud on the flywheel side was 4 o-clock. I was cramped when I fit the flywheel (its heavy), and I was concerned after the fact that I turned it one hole clockwise or anti-clockwise before I mounted all 8 bolts and still might have that stud "out-of the hole" on the flywheel backside.

I didnt know the flywheel bolt pattern was staggered as it looked even spaced to me.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

Wait..... so...... is the guy who can't tell if he put the flywheel on correctly, the same guy who is now counseling us (in another thread) to disregard the most knowledgeable people and information about the IMS bearing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Wait..... so...... is the guy who can't tell if he put the flywheel on correctly, the same guy who is now counseling us (in another thread) to disregard the most knowledgeable people and information about the IMS bearing?

What on earth does the flywheel have to do with the IMS L&N extortion ring ?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:

Keep the thread on topic or you will be banned.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:

Yep, you're right...
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Quote:

Yep, you're right...
Repeat for those that cannot understand:
Keep the thread on topic or you will be banned
Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
What on earth does the flywheel have to do with the IMS L&N extortion ring ?
You mean, other than speaking to your experience? Hmmmm not sure there's any connection, other than that one.

But that one seemed to be enough....

Look dood.... if you can't look at the photo you posted below and see the answer to your question (even after someone has already pointed it out to you) then I should think a little more caution could / should be exercised when telling everyone else how stupid they are.

Jus' sayin'

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
You mean, other than speaking to your experience? Hmmmm not sure there's any connection, other than that one.

But that one seemed to be enough....

Look dood.... if you can't look at the photo you posted below and see the answer to your question (even after someone has already pointed it out to you) then I should think a little more caution could / should be exercised when telling everyone else how stupid they are.

Jus' sayin'

My eyesight is getting really bad, MT

I see it now.
Look all, I am just like you, and doing the best I can.
I am sticking to my guns on the price of the bearing tho

Thanks MT