Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

OBD-II Troubleshooting

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on troubleshooting the following issue.

My new Durametrics tool works fine on the DME and Alarm modules but cannot seem to talk to anything else in the car. From what I have gathered from research and from Durametrics support, the likely issue is a fault on the K2 line somewhere.

I know that K2 is on Pin 3 of the OBD connector, with Ground on pins 4 and 5. Is there any way to tell if pin 3 is active? Can I meter it for a voltage or something like that?

I have the Bentley Service Manual but I have to go buy a magnifier to make out the wiring diagrams :-) A quick glance through though didn't show a specific page for the OBD circuit but it may be on some of the other pages.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Toyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

I would think that if you can talk to anything from the obd2 you are communicating on the channel and there’s no need to scope it.

That being said, the line could be damaged down stream, but that’s unlikely observable at the obd2 port.

I might ask the duramatic folks for some ideas.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
What year is your car? I'd guess 97-99...

The K2 line problem is just something they say because there is an issue with the newer cables communicating with modules on older cars. Tell them you know about this and insist on a replacement that works. They are well aware of the issue, yet still deny it until you point out that you know about it.
I had to go back and forth with them for 3 months to get them to send me a working cable, and I'm not the only one.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Send them a link to this thread and tell them that you know about the issue and would appreciate it if they would quit pretending that they don't know:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/60579-durametric-wont-connect.html
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
What year is your car? I'd guess 97-99...

The K2 line problem is just something they say because there is an issue with the newer cables communicating with modules on older cars. Tell them you know about this and insist on a replacement that works. They are well aware of the issue, yet still deny it until you point out that you know about it.
I had to go back and forth with them for 3 months to get them to send me a working cable, and I'm not the only one.
Yes. I dealt with similiar issues for years, sent the cable in for testing, etc. Maybe a year ago they replaced it. I have used it twice since, everytime it works I consider it a small miracle.