Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #1

Deleting the cats... 50-state legal!?

What if you could delete your cats without getting hosed for not passing emissions?

I don't personally have emissions in my state (FL), but I do have some pros/cons about cat removal...

Pros:
1) The noise
2) The little bit of performance gain
3) The throttle response and feel.

Cons:
1) The noise
2) The feel can be a little more 'rumbly'
3) The smell...

So, what about having the best of both worlds? I wanted to find out about an electronically-actuated butterfly-valve system installed in a cat bypass pipe that is welded into place next to the stock cat, rather than in-place-of.

A system like this would allow you to push a button, in essence, and open up the car's exhaust system for a much more aggressive sound. It would be, if nothing else, a great parlor trick.

OK, so, my search led me to this:
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

It's a start, and I'm gonna find something closer to what I'd need, but this is a great general idea (only problem is that this one is boost-actuated). We need electronically-actuated, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Let's do this!!!!!

Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Easy, Remove the Diaphram style actuator from the one shown in the link and buy an electronic actuator from autoloc.com....You could buy a switch to replace a dumby button around your console and run the wires to the actuator. You try it first then let me know how it works out for you.

You'd have to buy 2 actuators and 2 butterfly pipes for this to work.

it'd be cool if the switches could say Race/Touring.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Easy, Remove the Diaphram style actuator from the one shown in the link and buy an electronic actuator from autoloc.com....You could buy a switch to replace a dumby button around your console and run the wires to the actuator. You try it first then let me know how it works out for you.

You'd have to buy 2 actuators and 2 butterfly pipes for this to work.

it'd be cool if the switches could say Race/Touring.

You're totally right.. I didn't even look at the pictures to note that the actuator wasn't built in!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #4

Heres the link to just the butterfly valve with no actuator and no TEEpipe
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-007&Category_Code=BCS

$139, bet you can buy these from summitracing.com for cheaper than 50 bucks...plus the ones on summit are welded at an angle so the air flow of much more smooth instead of straight.....BAMM down!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #5

ok here are all the parts you could ever need for this mod to work

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294923429+115+4294920534&NeXID=5

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 09-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #6

For the record, I'd just like to say...

muahahaha.

Also, thanks CJ for doing the hard part for me :P I had to talk to my lady for a little while.

I have mixed emotions: I love the idea, I'm definitely going to do this, and when I do you can expect a video, as well as other info... I may even go the route of making the diverter switch bypass even the muffler when activated! (hence the muahahha).

My sadness is this: I didn't invent it. lol.

Really, thanks though. Throw out some suggestions.. I think this is something a lot of people might be interested in. If not, I'm way off. lol...
Old 09-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #7

I don't know dudes, but I don't think it's that simple. I don't know about the Box, but when you bypass the cats on a 5.0 Mustang, it freaks the computer out and the car runs rich as ****************. Sounds great, runs lousy. You can overcome it with a bunch of money and tuning, tuning, tuning. At least on the Mustang it's not as easy as bypassing the cats and gettin' down the road, so I'd do some research before you start hacking up your exhaust.

Hey Jim! You out there?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I don't know dudes, but I don't think it's that simple. I don't know about the Box, but when you bypass the cats on a 5.0 Mustang, it freaks the computer out and the car runs rich as ****************. Sounds great, runs lousy. You can overcome it with a bunch of money and tuning, tuning, tuning. At least on the Mustang it's not as easy as bypassing the cats and gettin' down the road, so I'd do some research before you start hacking up your exhaust.

Hey Jim! You out there?
Actually, the 2nd set of cats don't have O2 sensors to worry about from what I'm told (I've yet to look). I'm not going to "hack up my exhaust" without knowing for sure.. and this certainly ain't my first rodeo

Many reputable aftermarket companies sell cat bypass pipes for the box and claim no issues at all. My only reservation with going this route is that I can't just hit a 'civilized' button to drive through my neighborhood at night.

edit: to be quite honest, the 'parlor trick' aspect of this is the one most appealing to me... I might even get one of those silk-screen printed red buttons that says 'race' like the 360 Modena Challenge Stradale!

Last edited by Racer-x; 09-08-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #9

hmmm, i think the best way todo it is for Racer-X to try it first and give us his results. I dont think very many people have experience with doing this to there stock Boxsters...It might have to be a experiement.

I did this to my last 300zx Twin Turbo and it worked fine.

I bought the valve and took it to a Muffler shop and they welded it in place, I drove it home and installed the wires and it did increase the engine noise alittle bit but the spool up was way more awesome...but out boxes will get real loud since we dont have turbos to cancel out the exhaust noise like a Twin turbo Z would.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 09-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-x
360 Modena Challenge Stradale!
You seen the Porsche vs ferrari Top Gear episode also

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
You seen the Porsche vs ferrari Top Gear episode also
Yes! However, it wasn't the first time I saw the CS

oh and, the 911's better.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-x
For the record, I'd just like to say...

muahahaha.

Also, thanks CJ for doing the hard part for me :P I had to talk to my lady for a little while.

I have mixed emotions: I love the idea, I'm definitely going to do this, and when I do you can expect a video, as well as other info... I may even go the route of making the diverter switch bypass even the muffler when activated! (hence the muahahha).

My sadness is this: I didn't invent it. lol.

Actually, the 2nd set of cats don't have O2 sensors to worry about from what I'm told (I've yet to look). I'm not going to "hack up my exhaust" without knowing for sure.. and this certainly ain't my first rodeo
I don't know cowboy. Maybe age has affected my reading comprehension, but this thread doesn't read like a couple of guys doing diligent research. It reads like a couple of guys charging up their reciprocating saws.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 09-08-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I don't know cowboy. Maybe age has affected my reading comprehension, but this thread doesn't read like a couple of guys doing diligent research. It reads like a couple of guys charging up their reciprocating saws.
...Granted.

But when a couple of guys with reasonable proof that the cats can be deleted on this vehicle with no ill effect start talking about WAYS to remove those cats... it gets pretty basic. For me: I want to buy a cat bypass pipe. However, I also want to be able to return the car to its stock volume and comfort very easily. 'Nuff said...
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #14

Fabspeed Cat Bypass Pipes

I am running the Fabspeed Cat bypass pipes on my 2.7L 2000 Boxster and they dont bother the oxygen sensors at all. I am running them into a stock muffler. They seem to offer a little more sound when the car is pushed, and it is possible that they are giving a little more performance. But that is very subjective with no dyno data, it could just be the extra sound that makes it seem like the car is a little quicker.

BTW, I think I am going to take the plunge and get headers (no primary cats) and high-flow cats (with oxygen sensors). If I can still afford it I will also add a gemballa muffler. I expect this exhaust rig will make for a quicker car, especially with the Autothority chip that I will be using that is designed for this exhaust system.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster
Arctic Silver/Black
17" wheels
TTP intake, Autothority Chip, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
boggtown

I already posted about all of this, just try the search feature next time. Just look at threads ive started or posts ive done, its in there somewhere, btw i think the company is superstang that has the good ones, 400 bucks though.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #16

Talking

I guess I don't get the attraction!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
boggtown

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
those are supposed to be the best, get those, and put them on, and tell us, because i am considering them too, like for the past month. (but my girlfriend doesnt want me to get them, go figure )