Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

GT3 Drop Link Turnbuckle length

If it is not too much trouble can those with a GT3 front bar and adjustable drop links shoot me a link length dimension....when convenient of course. Also turnbuckle length would be great. A simple design type like Tarret would be best.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

I am going to put my car on jackstands tonight or tomorrow morning for a brake flush, so I will be happy to measure it for you if nobody else has got it to you by then.

Are these the measurements you are looking for?

Or are you looking for the amount of threads showing on each end? I can tell you it is only a few but I can try to get a closeup picture.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

You may want to contact Insite - If I recall correctly, he had part numbers for off-the-shelf hardware to build your own drop links.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I am going to put my car on jackstands tonight or tomorrow morning for a brake flush, so I will be happy to measure it for you if nobody else has got it to you by then.

Are these the measurements you are looking for?

Or are you looking for the amount of threads showing on each end? I can tell you it is only a few but I can try to get a closeup picture.
Thank you very much sir....your timing is perfect.

Yes, your mark-ups are good. Even eye in case your link is set up very asymmetric one end vs. the other.

Is my imagination or is the barrel section a larger diameter than the rears??
Old 09-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
You may want to contact Insite - If I recall correctly, he had part numbers for off-the-shelf hardware to build your own drop links.
Thank you sir....have not heard from him in a long time.

Wonder if he bothered to go bigger diameter in the front....

Last edited by jaykay; 09-07-2018 at 05:50 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

Front is bigger and threaded part is bigger too, much beefier...
Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

If I have time tomorrow, I will pull measurements from mine.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

I got:

* 100mm for the red body
* jam nut 7mm
* top of end link to red body, 50-52mm, 2-3 threads showing
* red body 20mm across on the round parts
* end link width about 35mm
* end to end, 100mm for body + around another 100mm for the ends
Old 09-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

thank you very much! hard question but do the fronts look over designed? Would the rears suffice if they fit?

Yes, I should be doing a comparative sway bar torsional analysis of S vs GT3 and front vs rear sections....
Old 09-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

The Tarett rear go fine with an oem.front sway bar, but maybe a gt3 front swaybay transmits more force to the drop links? Look at how thin the oem drop links are. However i have no idea
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
Pathological Tinkerer

Jay,

OT,

Your PM box is full and not accepting messages.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #12

@steved0x The GT3 bar is shaped differently than the factory bar, so I’m pretty sure it’s a length issue.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

Hey y'all:

You who've installed the tarret front sway bar: did you find the drop links need to be shorter than those for the rear?

I bought the SPL PRO adjustable links. They're great for the tarret rear bar, but they're too long on the front.

Unless there's a trick I don't understand?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #14

The tarett front drop links for GT3 front sway bar on the boxster are shorter than the back ones. The OEM fronts are too long, and aftermarket links that fit the back are too long for the gt3 front bar. You want the sway bar end parallel to the ground (yours looks close) so it looks to me those SPL are too long. If they are the same SPL part # as the backs, then for sure they are too long :-(

Edit: looking on the SPL site I don't see a short front drop link designed for GT3 front bar retrofits on the 986.

Last edited by steved0x; 02-08-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Fix autocorrect
Old 02-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
The tarett front drop links for GT3 front sway bar on the boxster are shorter than the back ones. The OEM fronts are too long, and aftermarket links that fit the back are too long for the gt3 front bar. You want the sway bar end parallel to the ground (yours looks close) so it looks to me those SPL are too long. If they are the same SPL part # as the backs, then for sure they are too long :-(

Edit: looking on the SPL site I don't see a short front drop link designed for GT3 front bar retrofits on the 986.
Thank you.
That's the same conclusion I've come to as well. I found the tarret part and I've ordered it.
But the guy I bought all of this from, my o'hlins, my sway bars, and my end links, insists that I'm crazy because hes running the same set up on his 987 and all the parts are the same.
Whatever....
I'm going to have a set of SPL end links for sale.... hahaha

Old 02-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #16

The 987 is a little different in the front, the lower spring perch is a little higher which may mean the pinch bolt that holds the upper end of the sway bar link is a little bit higher too. From looking at your picture, yours are juuuust barely too long, like maybe 3/4"? So maybe it would work on a 987? I'd be happy to make a measurement on mine and compare with my 986 (both on stands at the moment), but if you ordered the tarett already you have it covered and I think you'll be happy with them, they are what I am running.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:
The 987 is a little different in the front, the lower spring perch is a little higher which may mean the pinch bolt that holds the upper end of the sway bar link is a little bit higher too. From looking at your picture, yours are juuuust barely too long, like maybe 3/4"? So maybe it would work on a 987? I'd be happy to make a measurement on mine and compare with my 986 (both on stands at the moment), but if you ordered the tarett already you have it covered and I think you'll be happy with them, they are what I am running.
Yeah..... so..... it looks like he ordered (or tarret sent) the wrong bars, too.

I went and dug the wrappers out of the garbage (see image)

The 987 rear bar is much larger than the 986 counterpart.

The front bar is the same diameter, but I don't know in what ways they might be different. They're clearly a different part number.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Yeah..... so..... it looks like he ordered (or tarret sent) the wrong bars, too.

I went and dug the wrappers out of the garbage (see image)

The 987 rear bar is much larger than the 986 counterpart.

The front bar is the same diameter, but I don't know in what ways they might be different. They're clearly a different part number.

The 987 bar is wider and won’t fit. You’ll know it’s a 987 bar if the round tabs welded onto the bar don’t match up with the sway bar bushing mounts on the car.

Do you have both sides of the car jacked up? If you only have one side up you won’t be blue to connect the bar (it will be under tension and the links won’t reach)
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
The 987 bar is wider and won’t fit. You’ll know it’s a 987 bar if the round tabs welded onto the bar don’t match up with the sway bar bushing mounts on the car.

Do you have both sides of the car jacked up? If you only have one side up you won’t be blue to connect the bar (it will be under tension and the links won’t reach)
Which bar are you saying is wider, front or rear?

Both bars are installed in the car. The rear is already attached to the end links.

The car has all 4 corners on jack stands.

There are no tabs welded to either bar, there are "collars" that came with it in a bag, to be fitted by the installer and then cinched down with screws.

Last edited by maytag; 02-09-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #20

I've got a pic somewhere of a 986 and 987 bar, the bars are slightly wider end to end and the collars are in a different place. If the collars were installed in the right place, I think the extra width probably wouldn't matter. Backs are the same form factor and should be interchangeable.