Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #1

Going to look at a MY00 S tomorrow...

Hey guys...

:dance:

I'm going to look at a beautiful MY00 S with lots of nice interior upgrades, low mileage, mint condition, 6-speed... black/black w/ silver interior touches. Full leather, all the bells & whistles, turbo twists, silver seatbacks, etc.

It'll be my first Boxster, not my first P-Car...

What do you guys think? What (briefly) should I be looking at in this particular car?

Oh, and did I mention.... :dance: ?

Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #2

Talking

I guess I don' t understand the question?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #3

Hi,

Definitely peer under the car, the rear and the engine in particular. You don't want to see any Oil, especially from the center rear of the engine (RMS). Also, the spark plug tubes and Cam Covers are other areas where the engine can leak.

Check the under pan (Black ABS shield(s)) under ther car for cracks, scrapes indicating the car bottomed out at some time.

Look at the car from several angles to see if you can detect any overspray or other signs the body was repaired such as panel gaps, etc. Be sure build sticker is on underside of hood - an indication that no repair was done, but no guarantee.

Check headlight lenses for pitting/cracks. Operate Top to insure it's working properly and carefully inspect the plastic rear window for cracks, clarity. Manually operate the Spoiler to insure it's operating properly. Run car and turn on AC to check it, but also walk to the front and be sure both Cooling Fans are running (default mode w/ AC ON). Check wear on Tires to be sure it's even to insure alignment is not off and how much tread is remaining, look for areas which may be plugged or repaired.

Ask for Service Records. On an '00 you should see a minimum of 5 Oil Changes, 2 Brake Fluid Changes, 1 or more Spark Plug Changes, 1 Polyrib Belt change, a Battery replacement, and a new set of Tires. These things are time, not mileage, dependent.

Also, look for Coolant Recovery Tank replacement or repair, MAF Sensor replacement, Oil Separator replacement. If any of these things have not been done, there's a good chance you'll get stuck doing them in short order.

If the overall impression is good, and Service Records jive, then get a PPI done - an ABSOLUTE MUST!!! Good Luck!!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-01-2006 at 07:45 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote