Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #1

Garage
Tarett spacers

Hi Dudes!
I´m about to adjust my ET slightly, and love to save weight.. Anyone with experience from using the Tarett light weight spacers?
Wheel Spacers (pr)

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

I don't have experience with these, but if they are Tarett they are good. Don't forget to get longer lug bolts, ecs tuning also makes good spacers in convenient kits with the lug bolts included.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #3

i run them on the front. had 7mm, moved out to 15 mm. light, no issues, quite satisfied.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, great input!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

Unfortunately we'll never know what they are really capable of without the structural/material data and simulation from an industry standard solver so I personally can't answer your question. After all its just a wheel spacer anyway

RE Performance Spacers for Porsche cars;

I did a significant amount of work and research on performance wheel spacers back in 2015 (weird I know; to finally manufacture a few dozen then to quit loll). We also squeezed out a lot of weight from them, however, it was simply impossible to cut/extrude them 100% trough. Reason for this was rot/centrifugal and thermal expansion. The way we managed to structurally stabilized the spacer is by leaving some material inside the pockets i.e to keep the pressure points with near-zero displacements. Having them 100% extruded/cut had displacements all over the place, for us anyway.

Obviously some managed it somehow, as shown in your link. I'm feeling like a rookie now I tell ya :/

OT and other findings (secrets loll): The significant factor to get a wheel spacer to work both on the street and track is material and treatment. To my knowledge only heat treated AL7075 alloy will work for performance spacers and I only know of two manufacturers who actually cares 'that much' lolll. Not mentioning names here (both based in Europe). One in fact forge them then machine the final pass to tolerance. As in crazy expansive stuff... for what it is and what it does anyway (and the reason I've quit this spacer game, btw).

Thermal stress is a nightmare and beyond-nightmare on lower AL grades. As they inevitably expand, this incredible force/energy is directly transferred between the wheel and the lug bolt (nuts, whatever). Meaning if you spirit drive your porsche car or track-it then keep in mind that your lug's torque is roughly 25x more than what the wrench's clicker told you once they are HOT:/ This is obviously sorted with genuine porsche part lug bolts, nothing else works really e.g. those bolts with AL floating R15ball thingy - or those that comes from factory if you prefer.

As meaningless and silly as spacers sounds (other brand/make/china whatever), it still can be done right. Careful selection of lug bolts and regular wheel torque checks is required however.

Wider-the-Better! Lukin better also... love my rear 15mm spacers

Last edited by Nine8Six; 10-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Garage
Re

Damn, what an answer Nine8Six Would have figured you had looked into the subject.. Now I can´t sleep..

So.. Let´s look a bit more into details for my application: I now have the wheels of my dreams, Otto fuchs.. Love those. The issue is that those bad boys have ET-65 (rear). So I now have H&R 18mm spacers, giving a total ET of 47. This works.. However there is more or less no marginal between wheel and suspension, maybe 1-1,5 mm, this doesn't feel right, hence the idea of the 19mm Tarett instead of 18mm H&R. Yes, we are talking about 1mm

Well I guess 20mm would do it, however I am also very keen on getting lowest possible weight, so then Tarett looked just right.

Then comes Nine8Six and the AL7075... So, now I´m not sure.. Do the 6061-T6 Aluminium get the job done or must one aim for the 7075-T6? I found CMS Porsche Racing Wheel Spacers 5x130 (14x1.5 Lug Bolts) - Competition Motorsport But they don´t have larger then 18mm. The plot thickens..

To add to the headache I found that going to TI-bolts might save even more weight/rot mass. So I´m looking at Porsche Titanium Lug Bolts Looks pretty good If you ask me, however.. What do I know? Not much really..

And to give the full picture I do track the car on occasions.. So I don´t want to risk the wheels coming off..

Last edited by Robert986; 10-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Hmm that was unfair. I was transferring the frustration involved in making car parts that works. A spacer that doesn't swells + a hub centric feature that doesn't dance up & down with the weather is pretty damn hard to make, cost a wheety lots of dosh also :/ Called 'performance' car parts...

If it would be me, I'd stick with your -1mm H&R's. They are indeed treated 7075 and works. Cost a bit though lollll

At the end of the day, whether 6061, 7075 (whatever), as long as you use good joints that can deal with the energy xfer caused by TE, you'll be just fine for both street and track. Talking about those two-piece bolts:

and avoid those below at all cost. Won't work on the track at >60dC, you'll seriously compromise the wheel. Scout promise!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks again! We´ll se what I end up with, will report back when/if..